Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
3wmike

Default 8BA in a 36 Ford

Hi, will an 8BA engine fit in a 36 Ford without any bigger modifications ?
Is there anything important I should have in mind ?
Thanks
Michael from
3wmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
mfagan

Default Re: 8BA in a 36 Ford

Stock fan is a problem. No provision for chatter rods.

I have a 36 5 window here with a recently installed 8ba. PM me for any photos you might like.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Michael, I did this way way back as a teen working on my first old Ford ('35 3w coupe). I used a cast iron bell housing from a pickup truck, and truck wide belt pulley water pumps for correct fit of front motor mounts. I had to make rubber sleeves that fit over the necks on the thermostat housings so the larger ID top radiator hoses would fit. Now today you can buy thermostat housings with larger hose diameter connections. As I recall the biggest problem was coming up with a cooling fan that would work in the space confinement of engine to radiator. I made some type of modification to a 59 series fan/generator mount assembly that worked, but with very little clearance between fan and radiator. There have been many posts here on this same subject in the past that you can find by doing a search in the archives. Good luck!!

Oh, ps, I believe I had to change the oil pan for clearance of steering rods.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-31-2021 at 10:09 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wmike View Post
Thanks
Michael from
Like those above have said..............FAN!

Using an 8BA has been a problem in '35-'36 Fords since the first time some hot rodder did the deed way back in the '50s. That radiator leans back, and there ain't room for squat! Well, my buddy Heard and I finally solved that problem by designing and building a mechanical fan assembly that would allow us to 'trash-can' that wussy-fied electric fan someone thought was the answer. Read the article we posted with pictures and explanations....click the link below! More questions...PM me! I have dozens of pictures. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=12

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:46 AM   #5
3wmike

Hi
Thank you all for pictures and information about the swap, it´s very helpful to me for planning the work.

"mfagan" it should be very kind if you can send me some pictures on the solutions you did on your car.
Unfortunatley can I not send any PM:s to you since I´m rather new here on the Fordbarn and the rules don´t allow anyone to send PM:s before they put in 10 posts here
my e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks again Mike
Old 02-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Hi
Thank you all for pictures and information about the swap, it´s very helpful to me for planning the work.

"mfagan" it should be very kind if you can send me some pictures on the solutions you did on your car.
Unfortunatley can I not send any PM:s to you since I´m rather new here on the Fordbarn and the rules don´t allow anyone to send PM:s before they put in 10 posts here
my e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks again Mike
Hey Mike......You're getting close on the number of PMs necessary to be "whole". A couple more posts about the weather at your house, and the color of paint on your car and you're set to 'bark' along with the rest of the big dogs. If you need my e-mail, just post here. I'll help any way I can....pictures/details! I can make-up all kinds of good stories! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #7
blucar

Quote:
Thanks
Michael from

The installation of an 8BA engine into an early Ford V8 is quite simple if you use a truck and/or or '49-50 Merc bellhousing. You will also need '49-50 Merc or 49 later truck water pumps with '49-50 Merc motor mount spacers. See attached pix.
The fan can be a problem, however, an electric fan will solve this problem.
Another solution is to use a side mount generator and a cut down '39 generator for an upper pulley.
The 35-36 log exhaust manifolds will work perfectly on the 8BA engine in lieu of the later model manifolds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37 Frd w-8BA.jpg (66.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 37 Frd w-8BA.1.jpg (59.1 KB, 89 views)
Old 02-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
Aarongriffey

Over size thermostat housings are available now so the hoses can fit without sleeping them.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

'

Hey "3wmike" ...... One more thing that CAN occur in swapping an 8BA into a '35/'36 is the possibility of the drag link hitting the oil pan when you make a hard turn, especially to the left. Some folks seem to be able to overcome this problem (if it exists) by bending the Pitman arm downward. I ran into a FordBarner that has tried that, even going to a longer '37-'40 Pitman arm, to no avail. Most guys that have switched-over to the '37-'48 steering boxes don't seem to have this problem because the Pitman arm sets lower in relation to the chassis than with the stock '35-'36 steering box. Just something to be aware of. A relatively simple fix would be to perform this mod to your oil pan, like below. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
'

Hey "3wmike" ...... One more thing that CAN occur in swapping an 8BA into a '35/'36 is the possibility of the drag link hitting the oil pan when you make a hard turn, especially to the left. Some folks seem to be able to overcome this problem (if it exists) by bending the Pitman arm downward. I ran into a FordBarner that has tried that, even going to a longer '37-'40 Pitman arm, to no avail. Most guys that have switched-over to the '37-'48 steering boxes don't seem to have this problem because the Pitman arm sets lower in relation to the chassis than with the stock '35-'36 steering box. Just something to be aware of. A relatively simple fix would be to perform this mod to your oil pan, like below. DD

Good ideas here. Even simpler plan is to use ‘37 Willy’s dropped tie rod ends. Someone is repopping. I’ll try to find a link to them.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Good ideas here. Even simpler plan is to use ‘37 Willy’s dropped tie rod ends. Someone is repopping. I’ll try to find a link to them.
Hey Tim....These are probably the ones you're talking about, like the early '37-ish Willys tie rod ends. These are listed for Late Ford pick-ups,, but same 11/16" X 18 as early stuff....and 7º tapers, too.

The problem on '35-'36s is the drag link hitting the pan....not the tie rod. Quite possibly you could utilize these to make-up a NEW, lowered drag link. I like the pan mod, or the late steering box.

Speedway dropped ends....$54.49/pair.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...nds,50152.html

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #12
40cpe

From my experience, this isn't a problem in the '36 only. I have a truck pan on the 8CM engine in my '38 coupe. After I had the engine in, bolted down, and running I discovered the pan/steering mismatch. With steering straight ahead there is clearance. As the steering is turned, the arc of the pitman arm brings the drag link closer to the deep part of the pan, causing interference in the area of the relief in the pan in post #9. I didn't take the drag link off to see if the pitman would hit the pan if turned to the left.

The confusing thing to me is that I had a '40 with an 8BA engine and a truck oil pan with stock steering and no interference. I never considered that I would have a problem with the set up in a '38.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:30 AM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
From my experience, this isn't a problem in the '36 only.

The confusing thing to me is that I had a '40 with an 8BA engine and a truck oil pan with stock steering and no interference. I never considered that I would have a problem with the set up in a '38.
These last few posts just go to show what you MAY encounter with an 8BA. For some reason, it doesn't necessarily mean that every swap is going to end-up with this drag link/pan clearance problem. Below is a pic of a buddy's '36 3-w coupe with 8BA and a 39 steering box (which lowers the Pitman arm). Everything clears nicely! I've seen several of these combos over the years where the guy used a '49-early '51 Merc oil pan to give enough clearance, but if you don't already have the Merc pan and it's requisite, unique oil pump pick-up tube and screen assembly, it's way too expensive (and rare) to begin sourcing the pair. The pick-up assembly is crazy-rare....usually $4-500 IF & WHEN you ever find one. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 02-03-2021 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:23 AM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Hey Tim....These are probably the ones you're talking about, like the early '37-ish Willys tie rod ends. These are listed for Late Ford pick-ups,, but same 11/16" X 18 as early stuff....and 7º tapers, too.

The problem on '35-'36s is the drag link hitting the pan....not the tie rod. Quite possibly you could utilize these to make-up a NEW, lowered drag link. I like the pan mod, or the late steering box.

Speedway dropped ends....$54.49/pair.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...nds,50152.html

Ah, yes. Thinking the wrong “rod”. Thanks for correcting me.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #15
40cpe

Is the pitman arm the same on the '37 thru '40 steering boxes? I'm scratching my head searching for the reason the truck pan worked in my '40 but doesn't in the '38.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:49 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Is the pitman arm the same on the '37 thru '40 steering boxes? I'm scratching my head searching for the reason the truck pan worked in my '40 but doesn't in the '38.
Pitman is same from '37-'40. They have a "78A-" prefix. '41 is a one-year-only..."11A-" prefix. '42-'48 has a "21A-" prefix. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-03-2021, 11:59 PM   #17
40cpe

Thanks for that info. Now I'm wondering if one of the later arms is longer and will fit the '37-'40 steering box? There must be a reason the '40 worked with this set up.

Not trying to hi jack this thread. If it goes on I'll start another.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:22 AM   #18
3wmike

Thanks everybody for info
Old 02-04-2021, 05:48 AM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Thanks for that info. Now I'm wondering if one of the later arms is longer and will fit the '37-'40 steering box? There must be a reason the '40 worked with this set up.

Not trying to hi jack this thread. If it goes on I'll start another.
I WOULD NOT start another thread, as this stuff is really all relative.

I posted this picture in the past, yet had to search for it for two hours this evening. Below, I show four distinct pitman arms from left to right. The first one on the left is '35-36 and should have a "48-" prefix. The second is a "78-" prefix which is for '37-'40. The third is a "21A-" which is '42-'48, and the taper in the drag link hole is opposite the rest of these arms. The arm on the right is an "11A-" which is '41-ONLY, and also the Ford service replacement part for "78-" arms. Remember, the direction of drag link taper is reversed on the '42-'48 (21A-) arms. although ANY of these arms will fit the splines on your steering box. Maybe this will help a little! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #20
flatjack9

Quote:
These last few posts just go to show what you MAY encounter with an 8BA. For some reason, it doesn't necessarily mean that every swap is going to end-up with this drag link/pan clearance problem. Below is a pic of a buddy's '36 3-w coupe with 8BA and a 39 steering box (which lowers the Pitman arm). Everything clears nicely! I've seen several of these combos over the years where the guy used a '49-early '51 Merc oil pan to give enough clearance, but if you don't already have the Merc pan and it's requisite, unique oil pump pick-up tube and screen assembly, it's way too expensive (and rare) to begin sourcing the pair. The pick-up assembly is crazy-rare....usually $4-500 IF & WHEN you ever find one. DD

What is unique about this pickup?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote