Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #21
40cpe

Default Re: 8BA in a 36 Ford

Coopman, I appreciate your taking the time to locate the pictures and information. The later pitman arms don't appear to be longer than my current arm and reversing the drag link would make things worse. I'm stumped as to why the truck pan works in some '35 to '40 frames and some it doesn't. Maybe someone will stumble across this thread and explain it.

Thanks again for always being willing to help.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
What is unique about this pickup?
Assuming you're asking about the '49-ish Merc oil pump pick-up, it has a unique, round sheet metal fixture that attaches to the pick-up and uniquely-shaped tube itself, so as to locate the assembly in the round cut-out in the Mercury's pan baffle. You never seem to be able to find one of these assemblies FOR SALE when you need one, and when they do turn-up on eBay and such, they tend to be priced (in this past year or so) from $300-$495 that I have seen. There are three of these pick-up assemblies listed TODAY on eBay. Take your pick at......$475, $399.99, and the 'deal of the day' at $350!

The pans themselves are relatively rare and generally sell at a premium (I have never seen a usable, repairable one listed for LESS than $100, and usually much MORE). As you well-know, back in the day, this kind of stuff was 'canned' without a thought that us restorers might need it someday. Hence, the Merc stuff (which was RELATIVELY low-production for only 2+ years anyway) got discarded or lost, especially something as insignificant as a pump puck-up. And guys know that if ya 'NEED' somethin', somebody's liable to cave-in and "pay the price"......just the world we live in! Anyway, some pics of the pan, and the 'high-dollar' culprit to show how they fit together. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #23
flatjack9

Wow, I've got a gold mine in my shop!
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Coopman, I appreciate your taking the time to locate the pictures and information. The later pitman arms don't appear to be longer than my current arm and reversing the drag link would make things worse. I'm stumped as to why the truck pan works in some '35 to '40 frames and some it doesn't. Maybe someone will stumble across this thread and explain it.

Thanks again for always being willing to help.
I'd be willing to bet that the difference has everything to do with the elevation that these engines can be installed at. For instance, different water pumps will mount the engines at different heights, as well as the use of those U-shaped spacers that were used on '49-ish Mercurys adding to the mix. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #25
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I WOULD NOT start another thread, as this stuff is really all relative.

I posted this picture in the past, yet had to search for it for two hours this evening. Below, I show four distinct pitman arms from left to right. The first one on the left is '35-36 and should have a "48-" prefix. The second is a "78-" prefix which is for '37-'40. The third is a "21A-" which is '42-'48, and the taper in the drag link hole is opposite the rest of these arms. The arm on the right is an "11A-" which is '41-ONLY, and also the Ford service replacement part for "78-" arms. Remember, the direction of drag link taper is reversed on the '42-'48 (21A-) arms. although ANY of these arms will fit the splines on your steering box. Maybe this will help a little! DD

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that the difference has everything to do with the elevation that these engines can be installed at. For instance, different water pumps will mount the engines at different heights, as well as the use of those U-shaped spacers that were used on '49-ish Mercurys adding to the mix. DD
This is all great stuff as I am also putting a 8ba in a 36 coupe, I originally planned to use her electric fan.
I have a mismatch of used parts I’ve gathered up over the years well I get confused on what I have from what year. There’s so much knowledge on here from people they been playing with this stuff for their whole life and they know the different parts at a glance.
I wonder if someone could start a thread that shows pictures of the different years of the same thing. The picture of the steering arms is great. I have a pile of water pumps and I’m not sure what years they are from, the same goes for exhaust manifolds, intakes, basically everything else on the flathead. When I’m looking at used parts at a swap meet I know it’s Flathead but I don’t know what year. Anyways not trying to hijack the thread. Thanks for all the input.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #26
blucar

Quote:
Pitman is same from '37-'40. They have a "78A-" prefix. '41 is a one-year-only..."11A-" prefix. '42-'48 has a "21A-" prefix. DD

I have '40 steering gear box in my '36, the front axle is a '41 dropped 2", brakes '47-48 with '39 drums.

The pitman arm is Ford 21-A 3590-3 015 which reputedly is '40 Ford.
When I first put the '40 steering gears in the '36 I used the '36 pitman, it hung down to low so i switched to the '40, worked great.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #27
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I have '40 steering gear box in my '36, the front axle is a '41 dropped 2", brakes '47-48 with '39 drums.

The pitman arm is Ford 21-A 3590-3 015 which reputedly is '40 Ford.
When I first put the '40 steering gears in the '36 I used the '36 pitman, it hung down to low so i switched to the '40, worked great.
As I noted FOR YOU back in October of 2019 (CLICK THE LINK BELOW), any part with the prefix of "21A-" indicates a Ford part that was first used in 1942! The "21A-3590" Pitman arm was used on Ford Passenger cars through 1948. A 1940 Ford Pitman arm will have a "78-3590" number forged into it. "78-" indicates a Ford part first used in 1937. The "78-3590" Pitman arm was used on Ford passenger cars from 1937-1940. In addition, 1941 Ford passenger cars used a 'ONE-YEAR-ONLY' Pitman arm with the prefix of "11A-" (11A-3590)!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=10

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #28
AnthonyG

I have a ‘35, not sure if 8BA into a ‘35 has same issues but when I had my 8BA built I told the builder it was for a ‘35, he said he put an Oil pan from I think either a PU or different year / model & I have no Pitman arm issues.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #29
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
I have a ‘35, not sure if 8BA into a ‘35 has same issues but when I had my 8BA built I told the builder it was for a ‘35, he said he put an Oil pan from I think either a PU or different year / model & I have no Pitman arm issues.
I'm also thinking I had to change oil pans on the 8ba I put into a '35 3w coupe, but it was only 60 years ago and I can't remember all the details However, I'll never forget all the girls who wanted a ride in that coupe

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #30
AnthonyG

those were the days. Love the ‘35 Coupe’s. I like my Tudor Slant but wish I had a coupe!
Old 02-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #31
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
those were the days. Love the ‘35 Coupe’s. I like my Tudor Slant but wish I had a coupe!
It only takes a 'few' buck$ to step-up! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-06-2021, 05:26 PM   #32
AnthonyG

DD, that’s what I keep telling my wife, worked on 4, five might be pushing it, LOL! But what the hell
Old 02-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #33
19Fordy

Read through this 1936 fan mount info on HAMB, plus more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford...hrome&ie=UTF-8
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote