Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2023, 09:35 AM   #21
sequim

Default Re: Oil Extractor

I used a Mityvac for 4 years after the drain plug solder ring weld failed and couldn't get the drain plug out. A medical issue kept me from doing a permanent repair until this year. The smallest hose provided by the Mityvac fits perfectly down the dip stick hole so no need to remove the fill pipe. It lines up with oil pan drain and goes right to the bottom as long as you straighten the hose and keep it straight while inserting. As others have pointed out, with the engine hot, the oil comes out in less than 10 minutes using the Mityvac. Then you pour the used oil into a proper container for recycling. Works well and a logical option if you want to use for a while. When I removed the oil pan for repairs, there was some sludge in the pan, but the pan hadn't been off for 40 years. The pan was doing what it was designed for, keeping sludge on the bottom, while the oil pump is off the bottom of the pan about an inch - held up by the spring that lines up with the drain plug.
sequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:39 AM   #22
Planojc

The Jiffy Lube that I use lets me go down in the pit so that I can show them all the lube points.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM   #23
RDVAARK

Many older marine and stationary engines had a dipstick tube that went all the way to the bottom of the oil pan. Simply attach the suction source to the top of the tube.Really old really, grungy sailboat single cylinder engines often had oil like spoiled mayonnaise. An old Palmer or Gray single could idle down until you could count the revs. Boatyard mechanics would pull an oil pressure line on a warm engine and let it pump itself out, stopping at the first air bubble. Trauma was no worse than running on the old oil, was a popular theory.
Russ
RDVAARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:16 AM   #24
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planojc View Post
The Jiffy Lube that I use lets me go down in the pit so that I can show them all the lube points.
I'd pay extra for that! I remember going to an old garage in 1954 at 6YO or so with my Dad that had a grease pit. He cautioned me to stay away for good reason. It likely was in my Coupe, so that an experienced mechanic could tune it up, etc.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote