Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2023, 10:17 PM   #1
1930Finch

Question 1930 Tudor Sedan Hood

So I am new here and if I am not posting this in the right location please delete or let me know thank you!
*** So I have been working on this 1930 Model A Tudor Sedan and I took the hood off so that it was out of the way while working on everything! Now that I’m close enough that I don’t really need it off anymore I went to go put it back on and it doesn’t fit worth a darn, Did know if anyone had any advice for a first timer or any videos I could go off of? Any info would be great! I did have the radiator out of it but I thought I placed it back to close to where it was (going off the rods off the firewall)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7936.jpg (55.7 KB, 54 views)
1930Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 01:45 AM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: 1930 Tudor Sedan Hood

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ng+hood&page=2

Here is a start.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:26 AM   #3
1930Finch

Thank you and I will check that out!
Old 11-26-2023, 09:22 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

I am guessing that while the hood was off, you worked on the radiator and or the radiator hoses that affect the fit of the hood. Also, the fit of the hood may have been poor to begin with.
Drain the coolant, loosen all of the hoses, disconnect the 2 support rods, loosen the radiator shell attachments to the radiator and loosen the rear hood hinge fitting. Jiggle the hood, the radiator and the rear hinge to get the uniform vertical gaps on each of its sides. Then tighten everything you loosened. It may be necessary to shim the rear hood hinge bracket and add shims to the radiator - cross member attachment bolts. Connect the support rods last.
Take your time and be patient. Aligning the hood is not an easy task.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:52 AM   #5
1930Finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
I am guessing that while the hood was off, you worked on the radiator and or the radiator hoses that affect the fit of the hood. Also, the fit of the hood may have been poor to begin with.
Drain the coolant, loosen all of the hoses, disconnect the 2 support rods, loosen the radiator shell attachments to the radiator and loosen the rear hood hinge fitting. Jiggle the hood, the radiator and the rear hinge to get the uniform vertical gaps on each of its sides. Then tighten everything you loosened. It may be necessary to shim the rear hood hinge bracket and add shims to the radiator - cross member attachment bolts. Connect the support rods last.
Take your time and be patient. Aligning the hood is not an easy task.
Thank you and I will try that today! 🙏🏽
Old 11-27-2023, 01:24 PM   #6
1930Finch

So I got the hood put back on and some things moved around. Not to bad but still needs a couple tweaks I feel! Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6894.jpg (47.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6893.jpg (57.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6892.jpg (44.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6891.jpg (62.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6890.jpg (56.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6889.jpg (37.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6888.jpg (36.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-27-2023, 02:15 PM   #7
Gene F

Try trading the hood support rods. They tend to be adjusted left, or right. If ya het them criss-crossed it makes for a lot more adjusting.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:37 PM   #8
Flathead

You need the small round hood bumpers that are riveted to the hood right under the latch hook. Looks like there are still rivets in some of the holes. When the hood is closed the spring latch pushes in on the rubber and holds the hood side panel tighter to the cowl. It also prevents the bottom of latch from wearing a half moon in the bottom edge of hood panel. You can gently bend the hood if needed for better fit.
The general fit of your hood looks a lot better than many I have seen!
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:39 PM   #9
1930Finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
You need the small round hood bumpers that are riveted to the hood right under the latch hook. Looks like there are still rivets in some of the holes. When the hood is closed the spring latch pushes in on the rubber and holds the hood side panel tighter to the cowl. It also prevents the bottom of latch from wearing a half moon in the bottom edge of hood panel. You can gently bend the hood if needed for better fit.
The general fit of your hood looks a lot better than many I have seen!
Ok I will try that thank you! 👍🏼
Old 11-27-2023, 04:40 PM   #10
1930Finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Try trading the hood support rods. They tend to be adjusted left, or right. If ya het them criss-crossed it makes for a lot more adjusting.
Like switch the rods from left to right? (Side to side)
Old 11-27-2023, 05:03 PM   #11
ModelA29

Rule 1 - If a Model A has nice even body gaps it's a street rod.
I wonder if Henry even had any specs beyond - looks OK.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:31 PM   #12
1930Finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
Rule 1 - If a Model A has nice even body gaps it's a street rod.
I wonder if Henry even had any specs beyond - looks OK.
Very true! And good point sir 👍🏼 yea I’m doing this car for my grandfather-in-law. So when I got it/started tinkering with it, it had sat not ran nor moved in 50+ yrs. So about 6 yrs ago I got it up and running and for Christmas one yr for his Christmas present to him from me was a surprise ride WITCH HE ABSOLUTELY LOVED!!!! So then the following yr after his present to me was him taking me to the court house to add me to the title of the car. He looks at me and says “ I want you to have the car after I’m gone” bc I know you will take care of it and won’t chop it all up like some of them do. Plus he says we both know when ppl pass family’s fight over everything and now this way this is something they can’t fight over. So with that been said we had to put him on hospice a couple months back and I’m sooooo close to being able to give him is “last ride/drive “ that would mean the world to not only him but to me
Old 11-27-2023, 10:03 PM   #13
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930Finch View Post
Very true! And good point sir 👍🏼 yea I’m doing this car for my grandfather-in-law. So when I got it/started tinkering with it, it had sat not ran nor moved in 50+ yrs. So about 6 yrs ago I got it up and running and for Christmas one yr for his Christmas present to him from me was a surprise ride WITCH HE ABSOLUTELY LOVED!!!! So then the following yr after his present to me was him taking me to the court house to add me to the title of the car. He looks at me and says “ I want you to have the car after I’m gone” bc I know you will take care of it and won’t chop it all up like some of them do. Plus he says we both know when ppl pass family’s fight over everything and now this way this is something they can’t fight over. So with that been said we had to put him on hospice a couple months back and I’m sooooo close to being able to give him is “last ride/drive “ that would mean the world to not only him but to me
Looks like your on the right track! Looks pretty good to me better than most i've seen! Finish it up and go for That Ride...Don't wait go for the ride.... Best of luck!
Old 11-27-2023, 10:23 PM   #14
1930Finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Looks like your on the right track! Looks pretty good to me better than most i've seen! Finish it up and go for That Ride...Don't wait go for the ride.... Best of luck!
That’s my thoughts and thank you 🙏🏽 now if the weather permits, it just snowed here this last weekend but it’s been warmer so it’s already starting to melt !
Old 11-28-2023, 07:48 AM   #15
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930Finch View Post
Finch, you are a special Grandson and it is obvious your Grandfather is very proud of you!
A photograph of that ride would be a great reminder of what you two shared together.
Have a nice ride!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:00 AM   #16
1930Finch

Thank you that means a lot ����