Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Ghost of elmirage

Default Where do I buy POR-15 and.........

Hello all,where do I buy POR-15 and is there anything special I need to know about it's use?

Thanx
Ghost
Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Ron/IA

Default Re: Where do I buy POR-15 and.........

It is available online, but while I haven't checked personally, it is probably subject to "hazardous" material fees. This sometimes can equal the cost of the material itself.

Another source would be the yellow pages in the phone book. Just pick up the phone and start calling, you will probably find a source. (that is how I did)

A couple of our club members and a local automotive painter have used it. They all say you must follow the instructions, or it will not work as you expect. Some believe you just paint the stuff on, and you are done. This is not the case for a successful and lasting job. The metal still requires preparation, it requires a use of their primer, and then you use the POR15. Heck, if you have to go thru that amount of work, you might as well put your labor, time, and money into painting it the same color as the rest of the car. (Note - POR15 only comes in black)

Ron/IA

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron/IA View Post
Another source would be the yellow pages in the phone book.

Ron/IA
I haven't used a phone book in nearly 10 years!
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Ghost of elmirage

Thanx Ron Well if its that much of a PIA I am wondering if I should use some self etching primer and decent black paint! I am restoring an original 32 clutch and brake pedal assembly and just want it to have a nice durable finish. I already have all new bushings ,pin and grease fittings as well as foot pads for it so it should be very nice when I am done.

OH ya PS azmodela,,,I havent picked up phone book in years either LOL

Ghost
Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
flatford39

I used it on an AA frame last summer and it turned out really nice. The frame you want to paint must be grease free and totally clean. I power washed mine several times with simple green to get it clean and then you need to spray on their metal ready prep. it's some kind of light acid that etches the surface. Turned my frame gray. I then brushed it on and it flowed really well and looks really nice. Brush strokes are not visible. You don't want to get this stuff on your hands as it is very hard to get off once it dries. It won't come off your clothes either so wear those throw away gloves and clothes you don't mind destroying. When I got it on my skin I immediately wiped it off with acetone. I was told it is really nasty stuff to spray so that is why I brushed it on and it turned out really good. Keep in mind this stuff hates the sun and will flatten over time if exposed so you only want to use it like on a chassis or running gear. I didn't use it on my front axle as that get's exposed to the sunlight.

I bought it on line from I think TCP.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Ghost of elmirage

Thanx for the knowledge FF39
Ghost
OOOOOOOOOOO (: supper time talk to you guys later
Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodela View Post
I haven't used a phone book in nearly 10 years!
I picked up mine once -- off the front porch when it was delivered. Now I haven't the slightest idea what I did with it after that!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Where do I buy POR-15 and.........

I'm an old Fart and proud of it! I still use the yellow pages, the book
not the web one. And if getting a land line wasn't so expensive I would
still use my "candlestick" 1920's telephone. This all ties into why I like my
Model-A's too, I guess.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
ford1

order it from summit, with a credit card and ordered early enough it will be at your door the next day
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Sparky

Mac's sells the starter kit that has a small can of paint, a bottle of cleaner, gloves and a brush for $20.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Reds34

You can try auto body paint supply stores. Make sure you wear gloves and crappy clothes. I used it on my F-250 and F-350, came out good. I like the stuff.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

My preference would be to just use good primer and top coat. I like PPG DP90 for the primer and DCC 9000 for a good top coat. If you only have the two pedals to paint you may not want to pay for the primer and paint. Maybe a local body shop would paint them along with something else they are painting black, for not too much money. If you are in a car club I'm sure one of your friends will be painting with some quality black paint.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
PetesPonies

Can I talk you out of it?? Don't use POR. There are some great benefits of this material, but using it as described many cases results in failures. I have personally seen POR peel. No adhesion at all, peel right up. The properly treated rusty metal beneath. Like many, I tired it many many years ago. I had some success with it, but since have changed my mind. There are many limitations. First, you cannot use it over "good" unrusted steel. It peels. As I described, I have seen it peel over rusted metal as well. Now what I did was look for something better. I wanted a true primer, something that would go over all types and conditions of steel and offer the good benefits that POR did. What I found was Master Series. It is a primer, intended to be topcoated, but it can be left alone. It is similar to POR in that it also is a moisture cured urethane material. That means it chemically cures, doesn't "air" dry, it cures like most automotive paints, only it uses the moisture in the air to do so. But Master Series is silver. It contains aluminum pieces that actually leaf together to cause and airtight seal of the metal below it. It can be painted on rusty metal or perfect good metal, clean and new. You can use a phosphoric etch on the metal first and Master Series is fine with that. I apply two coats, then treat the top coat as I desire, depending on what I am doing with that metal. I may topcoat it with a black, which is like POR ( yes they make that ), I may topcoat it with epoxy primer, then follow up with normal paint materials and procedures. I have been using it for about 15 years now and have done incredible things with it. I use it in my restoration business. There are shops that prime entire cars with it, once they are sandblasted. It's perfect for areas you can normally get to and strip as you would like to do. I cover all my welds with Master Series, before any bodywork is done. The things I use it for are endless. I have been promoting it on forums I frequent for many years now. I like to pass on the good word. I know I sound like a commercial, but when I see someone mention POR, I shake my head. Sure POR has the publicity, but Master Series is really what you should be using. I did a '68 Cougar last summer. It was a vinyl roof car that the owner wanted to be a hardtop. The roof had deep, huge pits. I ground, sanded and chemically treats it as best I could. I then spray several coats of Master Series, followed by epoxy primer. It turned out great. I did the same on a Trans AM trunk many years ago. The lid was so pitted, it should not have been used. But I did the same as I did on the roof. 8 years later, the trunk lid looks the same as it did when I first painted it. The pits were so deep it's a wonder there were not holes. Nothing has come back. Give it a try, the Master Series. I am sure you will find what I have and what others I have told about this, have found as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
Ghost of elmirage

yeah thanx Pete I have already just decided to prime and paint Thakx to ALL you guys for the advice
Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
John Kennedy

I can't say I'm disappointed with using POR-15 on my model A subrails, but it didn't "soak in" to the rust and grip like I expected. I noticed a tendency to peel near a freshly cut edge.
I had some leftover so I coated my rusty floor in my '72 pickup. Made a great difference in solidness and feel. Seems to hold up well.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
jim1932

For durability have you considered getting it powder-coated?
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
supergnat

If you decide to go with POR-15 you can get it from Eastwood http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutio...Spring+Catalog

Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
Ghost of elmirage

Jim1932 Yes i have and still AM and thanx supergnat didnt think of them til you mentioned it. I want this thing to be as nice as possible
Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
jim1932

When I got POR 15 stuff I bought it straight from them (por15.com). I used the tank cleaner stuff.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
Slantwindshield

Be sure and wear gloves, it takes about a week to 10 days for the stuff to wear off your hands. I know. Howard
Slantwindshield is offline   Reply With Quote