Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
asapguy

Default Briggs 60B fordor top padding

Just got off the phone with L-B about the padding supplied with my top kit for a 29 60B fordor. The padding sent is about the thickness of thin gauze. The top kits I've installed in the past have had padding about 3/4 inch thick, this new stuff is about 1/8 inch thick. I'm afraid every imperfection will show through. Even though I have taken great care in flushing all screw & nail heads I'm afraid things may show through. This is a difficult top to install & goes down to the belt line in the rear. The lady at L-B said this new padding is closer to orig. & has taken a long time for a vendor to make it for them. They have only been supplying it with the new kits for the last three weeks & it will replace the padding used in all other body style top kits as well. Has anyone else used this thinner padding?? Thanks Perry

Another thing, when I purchased new chicken wire it seemed much thinner then what I've used in the past. It was made in China. I called several farm supply outlets and all their chicken wire is made in China.

Last edited by asapguy; 09-07-2011 at 12:06 PM.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
asapguy

Default Re: Briggs 60B fordor top padding

Thanks Don. The top I removed had no wrinkles & was in very good condition but had an extra seam from the corner on the main seam across the back to the drip moldings on either side. Plus the the chicken wire had some rust issues & would have stained the head liner with rust particles dropping down. I had to remove all three of the sheet metals panels because the wire & muslin was extended out & under the sheet metal which was not correct. I have installed two tudor tops & a CCPU & wait for an 80 plus degree day the materials stretches very nice when hot. I have spent a couple hours making sure there are no imperfections to interfere with the new top. The wire & muslin are stretched very tight. It suppose to be 85 here tomorrow a perfect day to install a top. I forgot to mention the padding I removed was a 1/2" thick. This new padding you can see right through it. Thanks again for the info.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote