Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
steve hackel

Default Anyone around Chicago "qualified" to machine an 8ba block?

Hello; does anyone out there know of a shop that has dealt with flat head engines and knows how to correctly machine an 8ba block... Cylinders, decking the block, valve seats, and a valve job? Thanks, Steve
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: Anyone around Chicago "qualified" to machine an 8ba block?

Fox Valley Hot Rods in Barrington, Il. Ask for Matt.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
vulture

Steve I would also recommend Matt at fox valley Hot Rods . I would drop it off and check out the Ardun he a and his Dad is building . Mike Yank is a outstanding engine builder and a buddy's blown flathead that Mike built ,will smoke most small block Chevys away.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Fordestes

Where is Barrinton , I am in Okla. I don't mind traveling or a little freight, I have an 8ba I want a main support I bought from Mike Davison (Flattatack) fitted , I don't want an inexperienced machine shop to do it , all shops I have talked to want to line Hone it, Also have any of you folks had a crankshaft Tuffride processed? I don't want a catastrophic failure especially due to crankshaft failure.
Appreciate your input.
Thanks, Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
37fatfender

Mike Yank....Mike Yank....Mike Yank...... I’ll say it again if you want. NOT the other guy!
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
flatjack9

Kind of forgot about Mike. Met him several months ago. Great guy and does great work. He's in Wauconda. Does all his machining in house.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Bubsyouruncle

Does Matt deal with ancient babbit blocks?
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Where is Barrinton , I am in Okla. I don't mind traveling or a little freight, I have an 8ba I want a main support I bought from Mike Davison (Flattatack) fitted , I don't want an inexperienced machine shop to do it , all shops I have talked to want to line Hone it, Also have any of you folks had a crankshaft Tuffride processed? I don't want a catastrophic failure especially due to crankshaft failure.
Appreciate your input.
Thanks, Fordestes
You are correct, you can't align hone a new set of billet racing caps like that. You have to line-bore them, then hone and they better know what they're doing and not just shave the pan surface and move the entire bore hole down a bunch (one should move it the least amount possible - due to cam/crank gear meshing). If you can't find anybody, you can send it to Fowler Performance in Columbus Ohio - they do all my flathead related machine work.

There are now super precision CNC boring machines that can hold 1 - 2 tenths in the mains - and they have a 90 degree boring head on them - they do one bore at a time, then move on down the cap line. Most create such a perfectly round hole, with the right surface finish, that a line hone isn't even needed. I don't believe Fowler has one of these - but I've used them out West.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 02-05-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

Oh - on the crankshaft question. I recently had a 4 1/8 stroker Merc crank nitrided out in Colorado (can find the name of the place if you're still interested). I did this because I wanted to ensure I had a hard journal surface after the 1/8" offset grinding. It is in my 32 Cabriolet as I write. I've not torn it back down to inspect the bearings - as it only has about 1000 miles on it (at most).

Once you get it nitrided, it will need to go back on the journal polisher. There are at least three different "tufftride" and "nitriding" type processes - each has it's specific technical details. I can't remember which process was used on my Merc crank - but I can find out.

Here is a picture of the crank (as I received it) - and after I'd spent some time doing some basic cleanup-polishing of all the crankshaft surfaces (obviously I didn't do the journals - I masked them off):

CrankNitrided1 copy.jpg

CrankNitrided2 copy.jpg

CrankNitrided3 copy.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #10
flatford39

Auto Machine in St. Charles just did mine. They are fully equipped to do this and understand the nuances of a flat head ford. I disassembled mine myself and then had them go through it. Bored .040 and had to add one sleeve. Before they would bore it they wanted to have the pistons on hand so they could match to the cylinders. They also cut my crank and installed the cam bearings.

Very happy with the work. They have 32 3 window sitting in the shop now that is the owners and he is doing some major work to the bottom end to run a blower I think.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #11
Fordestes

I want to do this right , it will be a last hurrah for me as to a performance Flathead, I want it to stay together for a good while although it will be a street driven engine , I have a few leftover hotrod parts I am going to use up and keep a spare or two then sell off the rest. I never really understood the whole process of the nitride process , I learned many years ago about it and never really used it for myself, I understand it originated from German engineering. I may be traveling to the New England area and I can leave the engine then and maybe pick it up later , I have a main setup from Mike Davidson I never used so I am using it instead of just main caps or a splitter bolt strap on the center main, I have seen many times in Diesel and gas engines what a busted crank can destroy . this is overkill for a street engine but The parts are already paid for and will go to rust if I don't use them, B&S, What is your opinion on the Flatattack lifters? I think I have a couple sets somewhere on the shelves. I will be using a 471 Detroit blower and Mitchell intake with a wide choice of ignition systems and about any fuel delivery system as well, I am thinking a 6 Btm with a points type Mallory y c distributor/ need some input from any or all , I don't want to mess this up! I see where I think Dyers is offering a v- belt drive for the small blocks , I have a flathead drive hub already or just a cast iron small main Chev balancer that I can bore to fit the flattie. Thanks for your info , Fordestes
Old 02-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #12
Fordestes

The 1/8th offset is what I have as well and the machine shop didn't polish it out ,( The older machinist passed away) this was probably his last stroker he ground , I waited a while before I took him a crank and almost waited too late, so nitride it is , do I need to have the crank polished before and after it is processed ? or both? I am building a 4" merc also , I may just have it nitride too. Thanks to all who have responded , I would like to get the contact info on the shops available to get this done before long.
Fordestes