Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
johnh7

Default 1938 Pickup exterior door handles... help?

Does anyone know how the door latch mechanism works on a 38 Pickup? I am in the process of replacing the exterior door handles on my 38 Pickup. I removed the door handle on the passenger door. It seemed to be stuck after I removed the two screws on the outside so I twisted and pulled on it and it popped lose. I think something broke. I am not sure, but is there a small screw on the end of the shaft that held it in there?

My problem now is the new handle has shafts that are too long and the mechanism seems to be stuck to the use of the outside handle. The inside door handle still works the door mechanism and opens the door, but if I insert the old or new handle and try to open the door it seems to be locked in place. In addition, the old handle shaft won't go in all the way now. It sticks out about a quarter of an inch or so as if something is blocking it from going in. I can't really see inside to see what the problem is. Before I take the door apart I am wondering if someone knows what the issue is?

Regarding the new handle shafts, I am guessing I can cut them to length, but they are not shaped like the original. The shaft is of the same dimensions (except too long), but does not have the notch cut in it like the original. I am attaching pictures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-07-18 19-04-56_resize.JPG (219.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-07-18 19-05-14_resize.JPG (221.2 KB, 25 views)

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
scooder

Default Re: 1938 Pickup exterior door handles... help?

Pretty sure you just trim the new to length and plop it on. Don't think the lack of the odd part in the original shaft makes a difference. That's if the guts of the catch are same as my 42 pickup.
Martin.

Last edited by scooder; 07-19-2015 at 07:09 PM.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
cmbrucew

Some repop handle shafts are a little oversize due to the plating process.
File all four sides until it slides in easily.
Bruce
Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Mike in Mass

I believe the handle inside has to be pushed up inside the cab , for the outside door handle to work like a locking mechanism for the outside handle . I think on my ol-mans 37 it works like that allso. maybe its just the passenger side where the door lock is . It,s been a while since I putts with my doors on my 39
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
johnh7

I quit being lazy and took the locking mechanism out of the door and cleaned it up. I examined it and found out there is a reason for the indentation on the original handle shaft. The mechanism has a spring loaded piece that snaps into that indentation and holds the handle and shaft in so it can not slide out.

If I shorten the new shaft and grind the end down so that it is rounded like the original I think it will turn that spring loaded piece as it is forced in and allow the shaft to go all the way in. If I grind a recess in the new shaft matching the one on the original, that spring loaded piece should snap in and hold the new one in place like the old one. Looks like I have it figured out. Thanks for those that responded.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Tinker

Seems to me. The originals are your guide. Too me the repop handles look fine in length. I found a bit of debris on the backside of my door that wouldn't allow the handle to go in all the way. It was easily removed. I used original door handles and didn't take pictures for reference.

I'm sure you know, but the handles need to be turned 45 degrees to install and remove.

Just a question... Why wouldn't you use the original handles that you showed? That one looks great.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-20-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: sp on ipad
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
Lawson Cox

Grab ahold of the inside handle and the outside handle at the same time. Sort of move one up and one down slowly. When properly aligned the outside handle till slide right in to place.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote