Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default After Replacing the Headgasket - Update

I have completed the head gasket change due to water getting into the oil. The car starts and runs great but as I mentioned earlier, I don't trust it. Yesterday I decided not to use the car for a few days and monitor the water level in the radiator. For the present, I am only using water. I can see the overflow tube clearly at the top of the radiator. With the car cold, I filled the radiator up to the entrance of the overflow tube. In twelve hours, the water level did go down about 1/8 in. or 33 milliliters (measured with a graduated cylinder, the amount to get back up to the overflow tube). This is equal to 2.2 tablespoons. I felt around all the potential leak paths, the water pump, hose connections and gaskets and no water is visible. The oil is still clear and new looking. I have the following questions:
1. This is a small amount, am I looking at normal evaporation at the top of the radiator? As long as the water isn't getting into the crankcase, this is not an inconvenience. I check the water level every time I use the car anyway.
2. Should I be thinking of adding a sealer? What would use?
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
The Master Cylinder

Default Re: After Replacing the Headgasket - Update

Have you retorqued the head after bringing it up to temperature and cool down? I usually re-check mine after a couple of heat cycles until it settles.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 05-02-2020 at 09:06 AM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

1. There was likely a few air bubbles that went out to reduce the water level that infinitesimal amount. Nothing to consider in this case.

2. You should put a sealer in the coolant when replacing a head gasket. I use Barr's Stop Leak with the pellets.
3. You are way too emotional about your Model A. Drive it locally. Think about a troubleshooting routine for the roadside (gas; spark; compression; gas tank venting; fan belt; etc.). I would suggest that you buildup a list of common causes why the Model A quits running from experienced drivers, and write down a roadside fix for each.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

I always put a tube of Alumaseal in the rad, with a new engine or head gasket replacement. Just for insurance purposes.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
Ed in Maine

Thank you for your comments. Yes, the car has been torqued five times and now the settings have stabilized and constant at 55 ft. lbs. I will continue to watch it. ED
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

Drive the thing and carry your AAA card. As long as you have a plan if something should happen, drive and enjoy your Model A. I am sure it will be just fine.

It doesn't happen often, but on one 1500 mile tour, we did a head gasket change on the side of the road on one of the cars, Still made it to our overnight stop on time. No big deal.

Also radiator stop leak is a good idea. Most if not all auto manufacturers put stop leak or some kind of a sealer at the factory to seal up little voids in the castings or a small leak so do not feel bad about using some in your Model A.

Personally, I like Barr's Leak for this type of thing. There are other brands that also work well.

My opinion,

Chris

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 05-02-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
CT Jack

Ed, CWPASDENA and myself agree, just drive the car and don't worry about it. If you want to use a stop leak only use it for a short period while driving and letting the engine get good and hot. I have used Bars leak after an engine rebuild and followed the directions. As said in the past retorque the head cold. The small amount of water loss you measured could have been caused by the release of air within the cooling system or your water pump pushed out some coolant through the overflow tube while driving. If you are planning on using plain water I would add a water soluble lubricant or just go with 50/50 antifreeze.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #8
GerryAllen

Just a quick question, how many miles a year do you drive your A?
I found once I started "driving" my A, it ran better.
Gerry Birch Bay, WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

2 - 3 thousand a year. I try to get it out for a drive 2-3 times a week. A's do like to be driven, Keeps them limbered up, condensation from collecting, grease mixed up and not hardened, keeps seals/gasket from drying out, gas fresh and varnish out of the carb, Battery fresh, etc.

Just like a human, sit in an easy chair for week, is difficult to get going again. Especially if you are 90 years old.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
Ak Sourdough

Water is heavy. Loosen your oil drain plug enough to see what's in the bottom of the pan. The dipstick won't tell you.

I worked on earthmovers for close to 40 years, we wouldn't start any engine in the spring without draining a little oil to be sure the wet style cylinder liners in those big diesel engines hadn't leaked a little over the winter.
Ak Sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #11
jm29henry

Ed , congratulations on your repair ! My suggestion is let your car find its own level this is something I learned years ago if you are reasonably low then look forward to why . Drive it some and enjoy it .
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #12
McMimmcs

[QUOTE=jm29henry;1883302]Ed , congratulations on your repair ! My suggestion is let your car find its own level this is something I learned years ago if you are reasonably low then look forward to why . Drive it some and enjoy it .[/QUOTEI couldn't agree more! Drive it and have fun. The hobby is supposed to be fun not wOrry. When it gets to carrying around a chest of tools and a 100 extra parts it's time to sell.
Put a smile on your face and start waving and greeting the thumbs up! .
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #13
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...Model A Radiators and water pumps are all different! The car will find its own level if you don't have a pressured radiator. As long as the top of the tubes are covered, you're good. Some folks install a return tank to collect the water and put it back in the radiator. Many Model A's like to mark their spots by dripping a bit of water and oil...a return tank and a little tiny 2"x4" bread pan wired under the bottom of the bell housing will keep the drips with the car and then you know how much the old girl is dripping...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote