Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #21
Ian1932

Default Re: Some Questions........

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
This is a fun project to watch. Especially seeing a relative "newbie" working on a family project. Kudos to Ian for taking us along for the "ride" and hope it inspires others to tackle a project.

Thanks TJ! Hope you enjoy it! Im looking forward to things coming together...I do hope it inspires some people to get going on their projects. If i can can successfully complete this without having a car to take apart, then anyone on here should be able to do it...With that said, until it drives its not done...

I feel i can paint, do some general auto work, like, replace axle seals in a pickup, change a caliper, water pump, front hubs. I do have experience working on my own cars at home. I have tons of experience painting in the commercial industries though. That i feel is my strongest area...
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
glennpm

Regarding the firewall seal, I ran into all kinds of trouble with my repro seal. They are all too thick! See this post by me and the subsequent posts in this thread which David and rbullockV8 helped me with.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=19

Regarding the firewall holes, see this page of Drake's and click on "click for larger image"

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=B-700731

Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Nick,

Regarding your question number 4, the cowl to firewall rubber extended down to the ends of the flanges on the firewall. What is shown in your photos is a reproduction that bears little resemblance to the original and you have it backwards in your photos. The raised part is meant to be positioned forward, not rearward. Even positioned correctly I doubt that you will be pleased with it.

As for the various firewall grommets and plugs, one of the appendices of the book (A-13) is devoted to that subject. They are all pictured and their specific locations are cited.

Charlie,

Large fleet customers could (and did) specify non-standard colors, including for chassis components, for their vehicles like Lincolns of the period offered on all their vehicles. While a bit of stretch that a fleet ordered a roadster with a non-black frame, it is a theoretical possibility. Given the nature of this project, it is owner's choice and moot.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #23
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Regarding the firewall seal, I ran into all kinds of trouble with my repro seal. They are all too thick! See this post by me and the subsequent posts in this thread which David and rbullockV8 helped me with.

Glenn

Glenn, what was your final way to rectify this?
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #24
Mart

Been using it here for 30 years or more. Good stuff.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #25
glennpm

Hi Nick,

I ended up doing some serious thickness reduction with a hand held sander. You can see the rest in the full thread and also what the thickness should measure based on originals. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=210112&page=2

Do it now since it is very hard to remove later!

You should buy David's books too. They are invaluable!

http://www.fordv8foundation.org/restobooks.html

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote