Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
Ian1932

Default Building Some 1932'S - Come Along for the Ride

Hi, my name is Ian and im new to the site/forum, thanks for having me. I guess im just going to jump right in the fire...

So, a little back ground...I have always been around old cars, swap meets, shows and such with dad. My father gave me about 2.5 cars of vintage Henry For Tin, frames and everything else that goes along with them. Im going to build these cars, with hopefully some help from guys on this site. I have done a large amount of body work and sprayed about every type enamel, lacquer, base and clears over the years. And also have years mechanical repairs as well. I know what these cars and their parts look like as i have seen them thousands of times, but, its been about 15 years since i was "into it". Im going to need some help because there are parts that i cant figure out what they are for. Im going to have to ask a lot of questions that i hope everyone can point me in the right direction.

I do want make these cars like my dad would want to see them, which is very similar to what i would want to see with all original 1932 parts. The first one will be a roadster with a flat head V8 and 18" wheels. I will add fenders to this car but i want to get it to the point of completion, then, lastly finish and fit fenders and running boards. Who knows it might be fender less...

Well...Today was day one. I went through a bunch of different parts and picked pcs that would be the easiest to repair or get to finish paint. Ill attach some pictures. Some of the parts, that there are more than one are just because i couldn't decide which was was better candidate. The first pics of these pcs are really nice parts and he already did some work to most of them. Not all the parts i have are even decent. Im going to attack this by prepping parts for paint, painting them and then staging them in the basement in protection until i have enough to start to assemble. Rolling chassis is going to be pushed to the top of the list but i didnt take any pictures yet.

Im going to take a bunch of pictures to record everything i do. If im not on for a while, im still here, i just have a full time job and kids that have things going on all the time.

I wanted to add that im not looking to sell anything. These cars have sentimental value to me and my family wont trade it for money.

Conclusion, here are some pics of day one of parts that im going to prep for paint. Ill let the colors be a surprise. Hopefully everyone can stay tuned and point out things that maybe i might not catch or maybe about to do something wrong. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4632.jpg (87.3 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4633.jpg (32.2 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4634.jpg (31.8 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4635.jpg (67.5 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4636.jpg (57.8 KB, 260 views)
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:49 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Building Some 1932'S - Come Along for the Ride

Welcome to the Barn!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:20 AM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

Welcome - nice parts to start off with!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
corvette8n

Welcome to the barn, looks like a good start, stay motivated.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
texas webb

Welcome,and look forward to more.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
funrunr

Welcome, count me in for the ride.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
Ian1932

Thank you for the welcome!

I already have some questions...

1st: Is there a place where i can find images of stock frames and bodies that are assembled but not together? I need to do some body work but it would be awesome if i had some close up pictures of cars without interior or seats. Or frames that are together with running gear that are close ups. This would help me greatly as i dont have a complete car for reference. This is tough to just search because most of the things i find they modified things to accept a different motor or brakes or whatever...

2nd: Can anyone recommend a book(s) that might have the same as above but might be a published work specific to 32'

Thanks for the help and help to come!
Old 11-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
jimTN

If you are building original or original era, there are plenty of good books available including some documentary, service bulletins and parts books. I building for a garbage truck engine and Easter egg color, this is the wrong forum. There are some very experienced, knowledgeable folks here that can help you with original questions. The 32 is an animal of its own.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
TJ

You can get a good start by going to the Early Ford V-8 Club website; www.earlyfordv8.org and purchasing the V-8 Club's two volume set of the 1932 Ford book. This book will give you tons of information that will help you identify parts and help with a correct restoration.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
woodiewagon46

Couldn't agree more with TJ, purchase the books from the V-8 Club.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #11
deuce_roadster

If you are going to make a Concourse car you really need the two volume 32 books that DavidG was the main author of mentioned above. You probably are not aware that most of these early Fords had many changes during the model year so there are early, middle and late parts that shouldn't be mixed if judging is your goal. An example would be if you had an early serial number frame your car shouldn't have a late firewall in it. These volumes will help immensely in that regard.
And as a bonus, DavidG answers questions here!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Even though this part of the forum is labeled early V8, the 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder cars/trucks in the time frame are also welcome. If you have V8s then you have some treasures there.

Welcome into the barn.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Ian1932

Thanks for the book suggestions!

Was this frame spreader bar chrome on all models or was it an option? It cleaned up ok, if this is indeed an original part im gong to use it. I have 3 that are black and rusty but not pitted. Not sure how i could tell though.

I have a bunch or stuff ready for some final 2K priming and soon then to be painted. I got some paint an im ready to roll if the weather agrees...

I threw in some pictures of the rumble seat and front seat as they are being covered now and want to have good record of this. I had 3 hides of Edleman Leather left from a job at work. In my mind this is the highest quality product one might get their hands on. The company paid $1150 per hide...!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asdf.jpg (40.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4653.jpg (80.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4645.jpg (35.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4647.jpg (36.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4648.jpg (31.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4637.jpg (53.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4638.jpg (49.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #14
deuce_roadster

Original spreader bars were painted black. If you have an original that is chrome plated someone did that along the way.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #15
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Original spreader bars were painted black. If you have an original that is chrome plated someone did that along the way.

Thanks much!
Old 11-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #16
Ian1932

Frame is off to get blasted. Its not the greatest but was easy to get to. Im confident i can make it look good. This frame was never modified that i can see. I grabbed a firewall to work on and prep. The hoods are ready now. My dad had these louvered on the early 50's when he was in the army.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4698.jpg (111.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4700.jpg (69.0 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4701.jpg (62.5 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4702.jpg (90.9 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4703.jpg (104.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4707.jpg (68.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4711.jpg (53.9 KB, 211 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
vulture

Welcome and Wow cool collection of parts and look forward to the builds. Please ask any questions on the parts with many 32 collectors on the Ford Barn. In fact the book of 1932 restoration specs is on the Barn and I am sure David will respond to any question asked. So what body styles are the builds?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
deuce_roadster

Frame looks pretty good. Doesn't show outside frame rails above where it goes over the rear end. It should be flat there, often there is a goose egg on each side that comes when the car got bumped in the rear and the tips are down a little bit. Late frames have a reinforcement inside the frame there but I don't think you have one of those. Not just the small plates that bolt inside with the shocks but a permanent piece.
Looks like you have some nice stuff. Firewall is a later one.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
FrankWest

Welcome!
WOW! That's exciting...Building the car from the ground up.....What a goal, What fun!!!!
Don't rush it, do a little at a time, enjoy each accomplishment and you will have many great years of assembling and planning....
You came to the right place....
Asked these guys on here...They will guide you..
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #20
Ian1932

As i tackle this job its so far been really fun. Even more fun is talking to my dad and asking him questions about how things came to be.

This grille, he bought from a swap meet, he doesnt remember how long ago. He said the guy wanted $50 dollars and he kept offering $30, the guy just wouldnt budge...He walked around for 2 days @ the meet, then, finally went back and paid the $50. He said on the way home he was sick and he was sorry he bought it! I cant imagine what the tag would be on one of these a swap meet today that is this nice.

The hood. When he was leaving for the army he was stationed somewhere in Illinois. He saw and add in a magazine about a guy in Chicago that lovered hoods. He wrapped them in paper and took them with him on the bus. When they had free time he went to the city and dropped them off. When he went back to pick them up, he met my mother that same night for the first time.

He also told me he traded a complete set of fenders to his buddy for 2 used new tires & this gas tank long ago.

Some things i ask, he doesnt remember. Some parts he says "i dont know where that came from, i didnt even know a had that".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4712.jpg (108.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4713.jpg (41.0 KB, 123 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #21
glennpm

Good looking parts! This is going to be fun to watch!
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #22
DavidG

Nice frame. Be sure and follow 'deuce roadster's advice about checking the frame's side rails to the top of the kick up for the rear axle, It is a relatively common occurrence with all but late '32 frames and it may be more severe on one side than the other. It is quite fixable should your frame be so afflicted.

Judging from the weld and the shape of the flange on the end compared to your unpainted one, your chrome-plated front cross bar is a reproduction.

Your firewall appears to be a nice one and free of extra holes judging from your photo (or perhaps they have already been filled). Rare is the unrestored '32 firewall that is extra-hole-free. My firewall record is 27 extra holes.

Good luck with your project. It looks like you have a lot of very good parts to work with.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #23
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Nice frame. Be sure and follow 'deuce roadster's advice about checking the frame's side rails to the top of the kick up for the rear axle, It is a relatively common occurrence with all but late '32 frames and it may be more severe on one side than the other. It is quite fixable should your frame be so afflicted.

Judging from the weld and the shape of the flange on the end compared to your unpainted one, your chrome-plated front cross bar is a reproduction.

Your firewall appears to be a nice one and free of extra holes judging from your photo (or perhaps they have already been filled). Rare is the unrestored '32 firewall that is extra-hole-free. My firewall record is 27 extra holes.

Good luck with your project. It looks like you have a lot of very good parts to work with.
Thanks! Im not sure if i understand the parts about the frame??? What am i looking for?
Old 11-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #24
deuce_roadster

If you look at the outside of the frame where it goes over the rear end, that metal should be flat without any outward bumps. Often bumps are about the size of an egg if it has been hit on the rear bumper and would be right below where it changes from going up to going down toward the back tip of the frame rail before the holes for the gas tank. You might see the rubber bumper for the rear end on the bottom of the lower flange near this area.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
Ian1932

Quote:
If you look at the outside of the frame where it goes over the rear end, that metal should be flat without any outward bumps. Often bumps are about the size of an egg if it has been hit on the rear bumper and would be right below where it changes from going up to going down toward the back tip of the frame rail before the holes for the gas tank. You might see the rubber bumper for the rear end on the bottom of the lower flange near this area.
Thanks. I should get it back tomorrow. Ill take some pictures and maybe you can look at them for me. My dad said this frame was perfect other than some pitting. I guess i havent witness to many frames without bodies to know what it should look like. Hopefully its good...
Old 11-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #26
DavidG

Look at the highest point of the frame immediately above where the rear axle housing would be if the rear axle was in place. Run a straight edge on the vertical side of the frame rail on either side of that high point and across the area on the side at the high point. It should be perfectly flat all the way across the surface from front to back without any outward deformation at the high point. Only in extreme cases is it noticeable just by looking at the side of the frame rail.

P.S. Unless it is extreme, it won't show up in a photograph. Try the straight edge test.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #27
Mart

The frame, indeed all the parts, look really nice from where I'm sitting.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1932 View Post
As i tackle this job its so far been really fun. Even more fun is talking to my dad and asking him questions about how things came to be.

This grille, he bought from a swap meet, he doesnt remember how long ago. He said the guy wanted $50 dollars and he kept offering $30, the guy just wouldnt budge...He walked around for 2 days @ the meet, then, finally went back and paid the $50. He said on the way home he was sick and he was sorry he bought it! I cant imagine what the tag would be on one of these a swap meet today that is this nice.

The hood. When he was leaving for the army he was stationed somewhere in Illinois. He saw and add in a magazine about a guy in Chicago that lovered hoods. He wrapped them in paper and took them with him on the bus. When they had free time he went to the city and dropped them off. When he went back to pick them up, he met my mother that same night for the first time.

He also told me he traded a complete set of fenders to his buddy for 2 used new tires & this gas tank long ago.

Some things i ask, he doesnt remember. Some parts he says "i dont know where that came from, i didnt even know a had that".
Good price. This past summer an auction was held for an uncle's estate. Amongst other things, he had a cache of EV8 sheet metal. Some of it was NOS from the long ago closed local Ford garage. A really nice used 32 grill and shell went for $1400.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #29
Ian1932

Smile Re: Building Some 1932'S - Come Along for the Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Good looking parts! This is going to be fun to watch!

Stay tuned! A lot is going to happen in a short period of time! If the weather allows...
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #30
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
Good price. This past summer an auction was held for an uncle's estate. Amongst other things, he had a cache of EV8 sheet metal. Some of it was NOS from the long ago closed local Ford garage. A really nice used 32 grill and shell went for $1400.
Im guessing these swap meets were in the 60' or 70's maybe? 1955 is when the hood had the lovers added.

I saw a front fender for a 32' about ten years ago a swap meet. It was so paper thin and smashed and cracked. I know people can work wonders, even i have reshaped some twisted metal that was garbage. The tag was $500 dollars! I thought"no one is going to buy that, its not even usable" While i was standing there someone bought it for $475...
Old 11-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #31
Ian1932

It looks rusty but its not, its the shadows...Frame is sand blasted. Rained when i was 3 miles from home. Dried it with towels and fans. Hit it with flapper wheel and a wire brush. It has some really rough spots. The side facing up is the better side. All said, its nice and straight and doesnt have any repairs. Its in the basement drying for a few days and then will get some epoxy, then 30 mins later 2 coats of lightly reduced 2K. 320 scuff, then some dolphin glaze. Then some more 2K and a final 500 scuff. Then 3 light but wet coats on single stage urethane. Found serial number !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4717.jpg (68.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4718.jpg (70.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4720.jpg (76.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (34.8 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4721.jpg (72.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4722.jpg (81.8 KB, 147 views)
Old 11-30-2017, 10:58 PM   #32
deuce_roadster

Etch it before you put epoxy primer sealer on it. Otherwise, the rust will come back.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #33
RalphM

Wow! Nice parts to start a project!
At ten times that amount that grille would be a bargain. And if the gas tank is as clean inside as out it is a really nice piece. I have spent hours bringing rusty/ crusty parts back to life and these parts look like real time savers.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:18 AM   #34
Ian1932

Quote:
Etch it before you put epoxy primer sealer on it. Otherwise, the rust will come back.
Could you point me to a product to use? Thanks!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 AM   #35
jim1932

By the way, DavidG wrote the 2 volume 1932 book that you can get through the early ford v8 club, Invaluable reference. Also there is a book of the ford service bulletins that is helpful.

Be careful using Internet photos for reference as many cars that look perfectly restored are either intentionally or by error, incorrect. I have a ton of photos of my car on my smugmug page in my signature. Not swearing it is all perfectly correct, but useful for seeing how parts go together.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #36
jimTN

While you are on that frame, note that the sides are also considered body finish because they are exposed between the body and running boards.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #37
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
While you are on that frame, note that the sides are also considered body finish because they are exposed between the body and running boards.
Yep, i have a 5w coupe sitting on a really nice frame that i can reference what will be visible. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #38
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
By the way, DavidG wrote the 2 volume 1932 book that you can get through the early ford v8 club, Invaluable reference. Also there is a book of the ford service bulletins that is helpful.

Be careful using Internet photos for reference as many cars that look perfectly restored are either intentionally or by error, incorrect. I have a ton of photos of my car on my smugmug page in my signature. Not swearing it is all perfectly correct, but useful for seeing how parts go together.
Thanks. I am going to buy some books soon...
Old 12-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #39
Ian1932

My buddy has a thermo forming oven so we baked this frame @ 275 for 2 hours. Pulled it out until it was warm to the touch and shot 2 medium coats of duragloss epoxy. I waited about 30 mins and sprayed one light but wet coat of 2K. Now its in a hot box to dry for a week before i use some icing on the pits...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4725.jpg (57.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4728.jpg (46.5 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4726.jpg (52.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4733.jpg (37.0 KB, 112 views)
Old 12-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #40
Mart

Chassis looks really nice. You seem to be taking the parts directly to a finished state. Not criticising, but many people (myself included) will dry build the car first, where any fitting and mismatch of parts problems can be identified and rectified, then tear it down for the finishing of all the parts and the final buildup.

It would be unfortunate to have to modify or alter parts that have already been finished to a high degree, and your prep of the frame seems to be going above and beyond what I would call normal amateur prep.

Keep it up, though, you are doing good work and demonstrating excellent techniques.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #41
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Chassis looks really nice. You seem to be taking the parts directly to a finished state. Not criticising, but many people (myself included) will dry build the car first, where any fitting and mismatch of parts problems can be identified and rectified, then tear it down for the finishing of all the parts and the final buildup.

It would be unfortunate to have to modify or alter parts that have already been finished to a high degree, and your prep of the frame seems to be going above and beyond what I would call normal amateur prep.

Keep it up, though, you are doing good work and demonstrating excellent techniques.

Mart.
The body is together on another frame with the doors on it, the frame it is on is really really rough but it also has never been cut or welded. The deck lit was on it years ago. The hood that i have was also part of this car. Painting is the easiest parts for me, so, im going for it! Im sure i will run into something but i really want to get this done while my father is around. I want to have a drive-able car that is in finish paint. I have all the running gear ready to bring to my house and prep hopefully in a week or 2.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #42
DavidG

Mart,

Do you mean to tell me that they don't always go back together as planned? My word, I've never heard of such a thing. (Heard, perhaps not, but experienced, yes, nearly every time.)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:20 AM   #43
Ian1932

Grill shell and hood component ready for a final cut with 500 and them topcoat unless i for whatever reason need to build it a little more. Frame is almost all iced and should be ready for final 2K priming on Sat. I have running gear that im going to be prepping for paint. I do need to straighten a couple radius rods. Pretty excited to see the seats! they are supposed to be done early next week...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4751.jpg (38.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4752.jpg (21.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4754.jpg (52.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4755.jpg (36.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4756.jpg (32.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4757.jpg (36.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #44
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Looking good!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #45
Ian1932

So...I went hunting running gear...Everything is such a pain in the rear to get to. So i just stole the it from the 5w. The frame on this car is so perfect as far as rust goes. It does have some cuts where my dad made some mods. Remember he was a kid when he had these cars and they probably were not rare. He wanted hot rods to im sure @ one time in his life. I should have use this frame but im going to need to weld on the 5w body and the doors close and fit so nice i dont want to move it. I did take take all bits and pcs of the running gear and motor mounts. I do have everything to make another rolling chasis @ a later date. Plus, i really wanted the drop axle for the roadster. He must have added the tube shocks in the rear at some point, im not going to use those. Im still debating on the later brakes...I hope i can find enough "stuff". I found a box with about 12 pairs front spindles...Didnt see any backing plates but im sure they are somewhere....Frame is ready for final primer. Hopefully it will be in final paint in a week or so. Weather depending..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4780.jpg (63.4 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4779.jpg (50.8 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4778.jpg (83.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4773.jpg (69.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4761.jpg (53.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4763.jpg (75.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4765.jpg (56.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4766.jpg (56.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4764.jpg (50.5 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4767.jpg (38.7 KB, 143 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #46
zzlegend

Been following your post Ian. Work looks very nice. Good luck with it.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #47
Ian1932

Something Painted Finally !!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4859.jpg (40.9 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4860.jpg (46.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #48
mfagan

Making great progress!!
Old 12-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #49
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfagan View Post
Making great progress!!
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4861.jpg (47.2 KB, 123 views)
Old 12-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #50
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Wow I can see you can paint alright ,I like the color

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #51
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Wow I can see you can paint alright ,I like the color
Thanks for the compliment! There are only 2 things i like more than spraying paint

1. Natural blondes
2. Spraying Clear coat

Last edited by Ian1932; 12-22-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #52
Ian1932

Finally a frame ready for a final cut and then final paint!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z.jpg (27.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4878.jpg (40.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4877.jpg (32.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4876.jpg (42.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4871.jpg (21.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4869.jpg (20.6 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Ian1932; 12-22-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #53
Pat/Ohio

That frame looks really nice! Should finish great! Thanks for bringing us along! Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #54
Ian1932

Seats are done! Girl did a really nice job and she was half the cost of everyone else! Really happy with it! Also, spent all last night sandblasting stuff. Takes forever with a baby blaster and cabinet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4900.jpg (55.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4899.jpg (57.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4896.jpg (51.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4894.jpg (68.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4892.jpg (67.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4891.jpg (86.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4890.jpg (40.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4889.jpg (47.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4888.jpg (62.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4887.jpg (67.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 12-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #55
noel_808

Ian, this is what it's about, building cars with family and seeing results. Can't wait to see the final product, whoever is doing the work, top notch
noel_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #56
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel_808 View Post
Ian, this is what it's about, building cars with family and seeing results. Can't wait to see the final product, whoever is doing the work, top notch

Thanks! I assure you will be doing ALL the work with the exception of the seats getting covered...Thanks for watching and the compliments!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #57
Ian1932

Fun this to come across on Christmas morning!

NOS V8 Rad in a wooden crate that will go in this car.

A new muffler. Not sure if this is NOS or not. Box looks really old though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4925.jpg (43.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4927.jpg (35.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #58
Ian1932

Sorry, i cant cant take enough pictures of this...New Seagull grey and fresh Urethane...I just screwed it all together and successfully painted the hoods today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5005.jpg (68.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5006.jpg (59.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5008.jpg (53.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5009.jpg (50.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5010.jpg (64.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5011.jpg (105.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #59
TagMan

You've seem to have made more progress in the month you've been posting, than I have in a year - I'm sooooooo jealous ! I envy your enthusian, energy and talent you obviously have. I've been working on mine for over 6-years, but life seems to thwart me every once in a while.

Just a caution, if you don't mind. Don't let the project become "work" or you'll wear yourself out. The destination will be wonderful to behold, but enjoy the ride, too !
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #60
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
You've seem to have made more progress in the month you've been posting, than I have in a year - I'm sooooooo jealous ! I envy your enthusian, energy and talent you obviously have. I've been working on mine for over 6-years, but life seems to thwart me every once in a while.

Just a caution, if you don't mind. Don't let the project become "work" or you'll wear yourself out. The destination will be wonderful to behold, but enjoy the ride, too !
Thanks for the compliments! I know im driving @ this pretty hard. It just needs to be done this way. Im sure i will stay motivated. I normally stay are target once i decide to do something...Thanks for watching...
Old 12-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #61
Ian1932

Dry hood backs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5019.jpg (61.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5024.jpg (34.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5025.jpg (35.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5020.jpg (56.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 12-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #62
'36 5W

Dang, that paint seems to flow out nicely, if you are not color sanding. Are you using single stage urethane? What is the color called? OEM color?

What a wonderful gift that will be going "full circle"!
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #63
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by '36 5W View Post
Dang, that paint seems to flow out nicely, if you are not color sanding. Are you using single stage urethane? What is the color called? OEM color?

What a wonderful gift that will be going "full circle"!
Its sorta close to "winterleaf brown" I have the formula if your interested

Its PPG single stage urethane with their cheapo line of reducer and catalyst. I found the trick with urethane, clear also, is run the pressure to the gun a little high on the first coat to make sure there is zero orange peel, then as soon as you can touch it with the back side of your hand, lay down a heavy coat just on the edge of it running if it were vertical @ normal pressure. The grill shell and hood pcs i did this way. No rubbing on these parts. Also, buy an Euro version of the devillbiss FLG-5, best gun money can buy in my opinion. If you have ever sprayed urethane clear, its almost like spraying that. The clear does flow a little better. Also, always spray warm metal, that helps too.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #64
rotorwrench

I used to use the PPG Deltron some years back. More recently I used some PPG Concept urethane and it was a lot like Deltron. It flows better than most and pretty much stays flat on vertical surfaces as long as a person doesn't put it on too thick. I always liked the PPG stuff but it was harder to get here in SA so I just used Imron. Even Imron has changed though since Axalta took it over. It's not as reliable as it used to be. I've heard that PPG was considering dropping the concept stuff. I hope it stays around a while longer. It's getting harder to find a decent single stage urethane.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #65
'36 5W

Good tips for urethane users who can't stand color sanding, Ian. It seems to be as hard as old Imron! (I'm weighing the pros and cons vs. enamel. Not fond of isocyanates either.)

When convenient, I would be interested in your color mix; looks very close to Winterleaf.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #66
Ian1932

Quote:
Good tips for urethane users who can't stand color sanding, Ian. It seems to be as hard as old Imron! (I'm weighing the pros and cons vs. enamel. Not fond of isocyanates either.)

When convenient, I would be interested in your color mix; looks very close to Winterleaf.
Here you go. Also, if you go to PPG and get paint code #986, it will NOT look like this. They put in on the can but they had matched a cowl vent that was already painted. They did mix some of the #986 (the formula in their system) at first but it was a real olive brown look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4846.jpg (40.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4847.jpg (56.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (48.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Ian1932; 12-30-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #67
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I used to use the PPG Deltron some years back. More recently I used some PPG Concept urethane and it was a lot like Deltron. It flows better than most and pretty much stays flat on vertical surfaces as long as a person doesn't put it on too thick. I always liked the PPG stuff but it was harder to get here in SA so I just used Imron. Even Imron has changed though since Axalta took it over. It's not as reliable as it used to be. I've heard that PPG was considering dropping the concept stuff. I hope it stays around a while longer. It's getting harder to find a decent single stage urethane.
This is my first time using the concept single stage urethane...Im liking it! I hope they dont quit making it...

Last edited by Ian1932; 12-30-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #68
Ian1932

Just cleaning and prepping the shiny stuff...Not sure why these lights had black paint all over them but it was a son of a to get it off...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5036.jpg (73.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5039.jpg (62.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5041.jpg (46.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5045.jpg (58.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5046.jpg (69.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5047.jpg (59.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5049.jpg (73.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5050.jpg (37.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5052.jpg (71.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 12-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #69
'36 5W

Old stainless and nickel chrome sure cleans up nicely, doesn't it?
Oddly enough, the black paint on the top half of the headlights may have been a remnant from the blackouts of W.W.2. Although much more common in Europe for both military and civilian vehicles, after Pearl Harbor, coastal cities of the U.S. were becoming fearful of invasion by both Japan and Germany.

Thanks for the paint formula and heads up......
Old 12-31-2017, 08:24 AM   #70
Ian1932

Quote:
Old stainless and nickel chrome sure cleans up nicely, doesn't it?
Oddly enough, the black paint on the top half of the headlights may have been a remnant from the blackouts of W.W.2. Although much more common in Europe for both military and civilian vehicles, after Pearl Harbor, coastal cities of the U.S. were becoming fearful of invasion by both Japan and Germany.

Thanks for the paint formula and heads up......
After reading about the blackouts, there is without a doubt what this was for! Awesome pc of history! I had to soak the lenses in lacquer thinner all day to get that paint off and it was done so sloppy it ran all through the ring. After the war they probably tried to clean and just opted it easier to get new ones...Thanks for bringing that up, my dad will love to hear about that. He bought these lights at a swap meet in 1968. There was a note in the box...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackout.JPG (59.9 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Ian1932; 12-31-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #71
rotorwrench

Methylene chloride (paint stripper) removes paint without affecting the bright work if you ever have to do it again. You are fortunate to have such nice original stuff to work with. The hardest part to find on the head lamps is the old original through connector sockets where the harness conduit connects. Originals were Bakelite and worked well but the reproduction stuff is mostly junk. I just wished some one made the replacement parts for the old Ford lamps like Ford made them.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #72
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Methylene chloride (paint stripper) removes paint without affecting the bright work if you ever have to do it again. You are fortunate to have such nice original stuff to work with. The hardest part to find on the head lamps is the old original through connector sockets where the harness conduit connects. Originals were Bakelite and worked well but the reproduction stuff is mostly junk. I just wished some one made the replacement parts for the old Ford lamps like Ford made them.
Im not complaining at all that have a selection of real ford parts to choose what one i want to use...It is really nice and i am very fortunate. I think these sockets that have a single bulb i can re-use. I should be able to just solder some modern wires without getting any on the little spring mech??? One set is missing the little spring tabs. Not sure if just a new one is a better option???

I know the stripper would have been easiest but it was late and i didnt have any,haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5058_renamed_289.jpg (61.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5057_renamed_5981.jpg (65.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #73
Ian1932

So, Im guessing when the car is done i need to take it to an upholstery shop and have them sew this together and cut the rear window hole? It also has what looks like little rusty residue dots on the majority of the canvas. Do you think i could get this dry cleaned?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5061.jpg (67.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5063.jpg (66.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5062.jpg (47.8 KB, 89 views)
Old 01-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #74
DavidG

As the top material is rubber lined, I would specifically alert your dry cleaner to that fact to avoid it being damaged by the cleaning agents they use.

Having just finished installing a top on a roadster, it appears in your photos that you have everything you need to do it yourself, except tacks and instructions. Armed with both those, it isn't all that difficult to do it yourself. I've a spare set of instructions from LeBaron Bonney which you are welcome to.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #75
Ian1932

Quote:
As the top material is rubber lined, I would specifically alert your dry cleaner to that fact to avoid it being damaged by the cleaning agents they use.

Having just finished installing a top on a roadster, it appears in your photos that you have everything you need to do it yourself, except tacks and instructions. Armed with both those, it isn't all that difficult to do it yourself. I've a spare set of instructions from LeBaron Bonney which you are welcome to.
Thanks for the tips! I would love the instructions! Thank you
Old 01-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #76
Ian1932

refurbished sockets and wires...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5064.jpg (43.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5065.jpg (73.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5066.jpg (53.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5068.jpg (39.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5071.jpg (68.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5073.jpg (62.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5075.jpg (63.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #77
Anton Voycheck

Wow. That is great!!! Good luck with the projects.
Your father is very generous; thank him everyday.
My folks never gave me anything but a hard time.
Great work.

Voycheck
Anton Voycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #78
Ian1932

Went well but nothing to brag about, they are flat surfaces...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5139.jpg (43.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5141.jpg (52.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5142.jpg (34.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5144.jpg (43.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5145.jpg (37.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5146.jpg (35.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #79
'36 5W

Nonetheless, they appear to be peel free.
Are you finishing with your second, heavy coat you spoke of previously, or do you apply
a third coat?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #80
hotrodA

WOW!
You're making amazing progress.
My Tudor is kicking my butt.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #81
Ian1932

Quote:
Nonetheless, they appear to be peel free.
Are you finishing with your second, heavy coat you spoke of previously, or do you apply
a third coat?
These are flat surfaces so you naterally tend to lay on a little more than if it were vertical.

Im not sure how many lbs are @ the gun because euro FLG 5 has the little regulator at the bottom. So im kinda going by sound & feel. Yes to your question about like I said before. Im guessing 40 lbs at the gun for the first coat, even and wet. Then drop the pressure to about 33 ? When i can glide the back of my fingers over the edges without it sticking, they spray another coat. 2 coats total, fan opened all the way up to max, nice overlaps. overlaps are important more so because if you have one pass where you have some heavy orange peel youll need to re-coat again with a 3. Avoid that or the millage will be to much to lay all that paint on with out some dry time.
Also, my buddy has an "walk in" oven for bending plastic that i warm the pcs up first, warm metal helps. Not HOT metal, warm metal...

In the end i guess i probably make a couple more passes with the gun. Maybe if it would take 12 pass to get across a panel, i might do it in 18. Im not sure if i actually putting on more paint or not because the speed in which i make the passes is greater.

Next time i spray something ill have some video it with my phone so you can see. Because you sound really interested and maybe your about to paint things soon?

Last edited by Ian1932; 01-06-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #82
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodA View Post
WOW!
You're making amazing progress.
My Tudor is kicking my butt.

Thanks! I am trying really hard to get this done in a short amount of time. I try to do one thing every day. Clean something, read something, prep something, learn something, etc. I realized there are so many things that at some point need to be done. Like the seats, they are ready to bolt in, the lights are all ready. Once the weather cooperates and I can build a chassis, I'll have stuff that's ready. I am certain that I'm going to need to make adjustments and need to re-paint something. I feel for me, it would be faster to go for it than to assemble the car and take it apart again. I sure hope that's minimal. With modern paint, it's so easy to repair and feather. Painting and prepping for me is the cake part when it comes to time spent. Things like setting up brakes and setting up cables and wires is going to really slow me down. I'm really depending on the guys on this site. At some point I'll be asking "what should I do now", when assembly starts. Thanks for watching!

Last edited by Ian1932; 01-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #83
TonyM

Quote:
Went well but nothing to brag about, they are flat surfaces...
Great work. That color is great.

You said close to "Winterleaf Brown"? Looks fabulous.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #84
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Great work. That color is great.

You said close to "Winterleaf Brown"? Looks fabulous.
Thank you! Color is not an exact match to winterleaf brown, but, it is close!
Old 01-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #85
Ian1932

"Fenders in the attic"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5162.jpg (53.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5163.jpg (42.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5164.jpg (35.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5165.jpg (67.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #86
DavidG

Darn nice looking fenders from what I can see in your photos.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #87
Ian1932

Quote:
Darn nice looking fenders from what I can see in your photos.
Yeah, they are really nice. I remember when i was in 3rd grade +or- my mother would send me up there to get the Christmas ornaments and my dad would be down there "Hey, be careful around those fenders, dont stand on them!!!" That was about 33 or 35 years ago!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #88
'36 5W

Quote:
These are flat surfaces so you naterally tend to lay on a little more than if it were vertical.

Next time i spray something ill have some video it with my phone so you can see. Because you sound really interested and maybe your about to paint things soon?
If and when it's convenient for you, by all means; but don't take away from
your great progress!
(I'm a hack, trying to teach myself and I like your "no peel method". Still, its
all about practice, practice.......)
Old 01-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #89
Ian1932

Sandblasting, priming, sandblasting and priming some more, then painting and on and on for now...

I will never paint wheels with spokes again if i can avoid it...That was the most difficult thing i have ever done...

Toilet bowl cleaner does work well to clean the inside of a tank. Takes about 6 hours and rust is gone on the inside. Now i will sand blast the outside...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (37.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5219.jpg (63.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5222.jpg (37.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5223.jpg (60.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5190.jpg (54.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5191.jpg (38.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5193.jpg (56.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5194.jpg (55.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5202.jpg (50.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5203.jpg (55.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5204.jpg (35.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5206.jpg (30.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #90
glennpm

Hi Ian,

Nice job on the wire wheels! I hear you on never doing them again. I painted some of mine many a couple of decades ago and used a Touch-up spray gun and one part paint so no sanding after paint was required. They were a real pain to do.

A couple of years ago they needed to be done again. I had them powder coated this time. First time the guy missed a few spots on two of them and told me to look at them after he was done. He did them over with no complaint and they were perfect this time.

How many jugs of the toilet bowl cleaner did you use? Did you dilute it and did you fill the tank?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #91
Ian1932

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Nice job on the wire wheels! I hear you on never doing them again. I painted some of mine many a couple of decades ago and used a Touch-up spray gun and one part paint so no sanding after paint was required. They were a real pain to do.

A couple of years ago they needed to be done again. I had them powder coated this time. First time the guy missed a few spots on two of them and told me to look at them after he was done. He did them over with no complaint and they were perfect this time.

How many jugs of the toilet bowl cleaner did you use? Did you dilute it and did you fill the tank?
I had 2 bottles. I swished it around and because its kinda thick you only need to do it every half hour or so. Put it upside down for a little, then on its ends, then right side up. I drained it back into a container and rinse it and swished it with a garden hose. Then, put 2 gallons of hot tap water in and swished and shook about 5 or 6 times. The last 2 times i put a little smidgen of dish soap in it. I lastly put it on top of my wood stove and cooked the moisture out of it as quickly as possible. Seems to not have flash rusted except where 2 pcs of metal lap each-other. I am happy with the results. It wasnt really bad, but, if it were im confident if you let it in there longer it would continue to work.

The wheels i missed spots and got a couple of runs. I had to go back and spray more touch-up paint and sand out runs and then rub out the marks. They actually look really good but it was a lot of work no doubt...
Old 01-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #92
glennpm

Good, thanks Ian
Old 01-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #93
DavidG

If there is ever a next time, make up a simple rotisserie using a motor from an old barbecue. That slow rotation will eliminate runs and enable you to get both excellent coverage and flow out.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #94
glennpm

Great tip David.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #95
Ian1932

Quote:
If there is ever a next time, make up a simple rotisserie using a motor from an old barbecue. That slow rotation will eliminate runs and enable you to get both excellent coverage and flow out.
Good idea...I have an old K car hub from an old trailer, all the studs were broke but one. I spun it on there but by hand. I would have be much easier to have it motorized no doubt...
Old 01-24-2018, 06:08 AM   #96
Ian1932

Sand blasted, primed & painted...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5252.jpg (57.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5253.jpg (49.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5254.jpg (57.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5256.jpg (57.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5257.jpg (48.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5258.jpg (50.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5259.jpg (52.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5260.jpg (58.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #97
Ian1932

Yesterday after work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5305.jpg (46.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5306.jpg (39.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5308.jpg (43.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5309.jpg (25.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 02-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #98
Ian1932

Tank is done...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5314.jpg (32.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5313.jpg (33.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5317.jpg (19.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5315.jpg (51.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5312.jpg (48.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5316.jpg (26.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5310.jpg (37.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #99
glennpm

Beautiful job!
Old 02-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #100
Ian1932

Quote:
Beautiful job!
Thanks much!
Old 02-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #101
Ken Crans

Welcome to the Barn Ian, I also paint,what kind of gun are you using? Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 068.jpg (55.5 KB, 31 views)
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:55 PM   #102
'36 5W

And still no orange peel. You certainly have found a technique that works for you.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #103
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Crans View Post
Welcome to the Barn Ian, I also paint,what kind of gun are you using? Ken
Nice paint job!

Gravity feed Euro FLG-5 Devilbiss

https://www.carlisleft.eu/library/de...g5_euro_EN.pdf
Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #104
Ian1932

Quote:
And still no orange peel. You certainly have found a technique that works for you.
Thanks! I was going to film this but i didnt have anyone to hold my phone...
Old 12-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #105
Ian1932

Getting ready to bring the body to my house. Sadly the phone with my pictures of painting got lost...I filled in the taillight holes that my dad had cut in years ago.

I revived this old post in case anyone was curious about the beginnings of this adventure.

Question = Since this in an open car, what do you all recommend i do when i load this on a trailer? I maybe should cut wood blocks to have at-least 4 contact points on the surface of the trailer? Its a smooth ride with one set of train tracks ill need to go over. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body.jpg (77.0 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Ian1932; 12-06-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #106
DavidG

Four should be adequate; two at the cowl feet and two right before the rear wheel house kick uo thick enough so that the pan beneath the front seat clears the floor of the trailer. I'd screw the blocks through the cowl feet holes and the side holes in the rear so that they don't shift in transit.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #107
Pat/Ohio

I wonder what "mommy" would say if those cushions behind you disappeared for a little while! Good luck, Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #108
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
I wonder what "mommy" would say if those cushions behind you disappeared for a little while! Good luck, Pat
Yep, she gave them to me for this reason...lol