Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2021, 11:57 PM   #1
leon bee

Default What is the Application of these OS Valves?

Shopping for some new 8BA valves, I think, and don't know why I am seeing so many that say like 60 over. Or I see a lot of kits saying they include Chevy valves. And I don't know enough Flathead yet to know why. Valve seats already plowed way out, perhaps? Or do they go well with aftermarket aluminum heads, etc. For any insight, Thanks!
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: What is the Application of these OS Valves?

Already plowed way out? meaning someone counter bored the block for over sized seats, usually the case with engines with toasted seats (non pressed in seats) because
back when valve jobs were so common, that's what we had to do to save the block. So the Jobbers like perfect circle stocked oversize seats and valves. don't confuse your self a flathead (L head) is just an engine with no mystery. forget about the heads another subject, valve lift is set by the cam. you need a picture of what you
have, you need to start measuring everything. I try to help but your problem is like
3000 miles away LOL I have to see these things Leon.......sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
flatjack9

3rd Gen auto is your place to go.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
leon bee

Thanks guys. Let me re-phrase, I try to learn. What makes a man, when he is buying valves for an 8BA, consider a valve kit that says something like, "This kit includes the Chevy valves."? Or maybe he's over at the Speedway site where every listing seems to say; "Over size valve heads"? What are they for? Who wants them? Do you buy them to go along with new aluminum heads, or what.

I just want stock as original valves. When I'm ready to spend money I'll call MacVP or C and G, or Michael in Tennessee.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
tubman

Win, I agree with you. Give me a few days and let me go through my "stash" and see what I have, as I try to save all of the original parts I can. No promise, but I'll look.

Perhaps a bunch of us have a few spares.

Also don't forget "Southside Obsolete"; he's one here a "barnfind08". I have no knowledge of what he has, except that it's a lot! I got a set of NOS Ford lifters from there a few years ago.

Last edited by tubman; 09-12-2021 at 06:14 PM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon bee View Post
Thanks guys. Let me re-phrase, I try to learn. What makes a man, when he is buying valves for an 8BA, consider a valve kit that says something like, "This kit includes the Chevy valves."? Or maybe he's over at the Speedway site where every listing seems to say; "Over size valve heads"? What are they for? Who wants them? Do you buy them to go along with new aluminum heads, or what.

I just want stock as original valves. When I'm ready to spend money I'll call MacVP or C and G, or Michael in Tennessee.
Chevy valves are sometimes preferred when using a high lift cam with a smaller base circle. They are a bit longer and take up the gap. They also come in 1.6 inch which may (or may not) increase intake flow (with other modifications). Not something you would use on a stock rebuild.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:28 PM   #7
leon bee

Denny: I'm buying all new stuff for this engine, got most of it already. I forget Southside, will put that on my list right now.

JSeery: Exactly the kind of info I had in mind.

Thanks both of you, this will be my third 8BA and I read Fordbarn every day.