Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
johndee138

Default Odd spring shackle removal

While I am waiting on motor repair stuff I thought I would install a Posie reverse eye spring I've had lying around for a while. After getting the old spring loose I began to tackle the shackle (rhyming too!) in the axle side. It isn't like any I've ever seen before. Period aftermarket I suspect, but it seems to be worth saving since it is all metal with grease fittings and they actually work. The shoulder that the shackles ride on is a 3/8 square. The through bolt portion unscrewed from the threaded housing.
It isn't compatible with the shackles I have with the Posie spring. They are longer, set up for bolts and have round holes.
The ones on the car now have square holes
I'm not real sure how to pull the outer part that is in the axle perch yet. If I get lucky the thread pitch will be a common one and I can thread an appropriate bolt in and get some traction that way.
My question is: Is this worth saving? It is a reuseable part and has lube points on both pivots. I could cut it up, but then its toast.
Any thoughts on if I should try to save it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shackle1.jpg (37.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg shackle2.jpg (30.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg shackle 3.jpg (39.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by johndee138; 08-23-2021 at 10:10 PM. Reason: clarification of terms
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: Odd spring shackle removal

Square shackles??

Had to take a hacksaw blade and make pie cuts on the bushings. Then slowly chisel them out. Best of luck. Not an easy job sometimes.

Use heat if you are trying to save the perch pin and patience. Removing the axle and using a press works well too. Put a pipe wrench on top of the perch once heated and lubed and see if you can turn it to loosen it up.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:06 PM   #3
johndee138

Tinker look closely at the pix
The shackle bolt is a 2 piece affair. The center piece that the shackles attach to just turned out with a wrench since it is threaded. the "female" portion that inserts into the perch is also threaded to match.
Also setup to be lubed with a grease nipple.
It's a pretty nice unit that can possibly be saved.
Wondering whether it will be worth the struggle.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:09 PM   #4
Tinker

What are you working on? Might help to understand what is going on.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #5
tubman

"Tinker", It may not be my place to say this, but I feel I have to. In deference to those of us in Minnesota (and all other intelligent creatures on the planet), would you please change your avatar? I believe you have done this as some sort of joke, but the subject is definitely NOT funny.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:12 PM   #6
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Tinker", It may not be my place to say this, but I feel I have to. In deference to those of us in Minnesota (and all other intelligent creatures on the planet), would you please change your avatar? I believe you have done this as some sort of joke, but the subject is definitely NOT funny.

The avatar is Chuck Close, a famously misunderstood artist that passed away this past week. The man's autopsy confirmed a severe mental disability that impaired his social life. I believe Tinker's avatar to be a salute and a farewell to a man who had a tough row to hoe.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:25 PM   #7
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post

I can. It has nothing to do with fords. Its an American artist that I admire called Chuck Close and a self portrait from the 60s (yes it's a painting not a photograph). He died recently. I didn't think it was an issue nor realized that it was insulting or anyone cared. I will do so, thank you.

A portrait he did with just thumb prints. back to fords. Sorry. Fixed it though, but I'm not sure it was my problem to do so.

btw: the actual painting that you wanted me to changed in my avatar is at the walker in Minneapolis if you ever want to see it. It is quite impressive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 11.24.50 PM.jpg (9.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 08-24-2021 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:30 PM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
The avatar is Chuck Close, a famously misunderstood artist that passed away this past week. The man's autopsy confirmed a severe mental disability that impaired his social life. I believe Tinker's avatar to be a salute and a farewell to a man who had a tough row to hoe.

He didn't have a metal illness or misunderstood (he was very social). Not sure how you got that. Hard to be one of the best american artist without being a bit social (well within reason, everyone else is crazy too ) He did have a spinal issue that paralyzed him and made him unable to create for years. Maybe some regular old alzheimer's too, but he was 81. He fought through and maintained his lively hood and created some of his best work.

But we digress.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-24-2021 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:34 AM   #9
Brian

Wow...talk about thread drift...getting back on topic, I think those screw type shackles are quite good. couldn't you leave them in the wishbone mount, just work on removing them from the original spring eyes and install in the reversed eye spring? Possibly press them outta the spring eyes if all else fails. Press the removed bushes into the posie spring, screw the studs into all four fitted bushes and assemble...
Old 08-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #10
johndee138

Brian that thought has occurred, but I was hoping to use the long shackles (with round holes) to get my tail down (taildragger is what I'm shooting for). I have cobbled up a puller to see if it will work.
On the other secondary subject, I describe Mr Close's portraits as "Chuck WAY too Close"
In person the portraits are quite impressive BTW
Old 08-25-2021, 07:03 AM   #11
fortyonerag

You can get long shackles with the 3/8 square in them. Tardel I think.

Hope you're running a track rod or panhard bar on the rear with those long shackles.

I ran a set on my 41 for a bit, and the ride sure was sporty. I wound up resetting the rear spring and reversing the eyes. Reverted to stock shackles. I can relax now.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #12
johndee138

So the final was stock shackles and reversed eye spring?
Old 08-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #13
RalphM

That “screw” type of shackle pin is used on a lot of semi trucks as well. It is a very long lasting pin if lubricated properly.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:16 AM   #14
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Wow...talk about thread drift...

i agree that could have been handled with a PM. But it was public, so I had to answer.

hope the op has received a decent answer to his question. I ask questions to keep it current and not to let it get lost in the mix. As Bruce used to say, "if you have the right answer no one will say a thing. But if you don't people will bend over backwards telling you why you are wrong". I ask questions to learn.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-26-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:16 AM   #15
fortyonerag

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndee138 View Post
So the final was stock shackles and reversed eye spring?
JD, If you mean me, yes I wound up with stock shackles, and a reset spring with reversed eyes. The rear spring is flat when the car is sitting 'normally'.

fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote