Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Maybe Not Model A, but Save Your Receipts

This may not apply to your Model A, since we buy almost all our parts from the Model A parts houses, but be sure to save receipts when you buy car parts. My brake lights didn't work when I bought my restored Studebaker 2 1/2 years ago, so I went to the local NAPA store and bought a new brake line pressure switch. That fixed them, but on our recent Model A 4 day tour, the guy following me said my brake lights didn't work.

I told him I brake very lightly and that may be the reason. I stepped on the brake pedal to show him that they did work, but I did notice it took more pressure than it should. I bought a new STANDARD brand switch off ebay, but yesterday just for kicks I took the bad switch into NAPA and asked if it has any warranty.

Unfortunately I didn't save my receipt, but with a bit of searching the guy was able to look up the sale from 2 1/2 years ago on the computer. Much to my surprise he said they have a 3 year warranty, and he gave me a new switch. Usually I do keep the receipts in the glove box, and will have to take care to do that.

In the 80's I bought a fuel pump from AutoZone for my MoPar 2.5 engine after the crap gas ate out the diaphram. Luckily I kept the receipt because I was replacing that pump about every other month due to ethanol.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Maybe Not Model A, but Save Your Receipts

I am sure that everyone saves their receipts in a box sorted chronologically in case the tax man thinks they made a profit when they sold the car.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
[email protected]

Several weeks back my modern auto had a battery that suddenly just died and left me and my wife stranded with no one around to beg a battery jump off of. I remembered it was an AutoZone battery that was in there (maybe ~3 years old) and I called their local AutoZone store that was just a few blocks away. I talked to the manager and explained my situation. He told me that they have a company policy that two employees must be in the store and he was sorry but he couldn't help me. I pleaded my case again and I must have found the kindness in his heart and he then came to my rescue with a jump box. I followed him back to the store and he put in a brand new battery with no questions asked and no receipts needed as it was on their computer.

The real reason I am telling this story is that I was on the road again within a half hour from phone call start to finish. If I would have called my auto club I may still be awaiting there now for one of their guy's to come to my aid....

Just the other day, I went back to this same AutoZone and bought two new very pricey RainX wiper blades for this auto to pay it forward again on the Karma scale..
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I am sure that everyone saves their receipts in a box sorted chronologically in case the tax man thinks they made a profit when they sold the car.

Charlie Stephens
If they don't, they should for a sundry of reasons! Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Synchro909

Sometimes keeping receipts is a waste of time:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bon1x-3g4C8
Old 11-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
ian Simpson

I keep all receipts for our collector cars in ring binders. My insurance appraiser insists on seeing them to prove that I am maintaining the cars correctly so that the insurance company agreed value is reasonable.

I have never in fifteen years of collector car ownership had to collect on a warranty. I wish I could say the same about our modern daily drivers!
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
TerryO

I keep a file folder for all my cars and trucks and keep all receipts there plus I have a spread sheet for both my A's and my Shelby. Shelby receipts go back to 1979. ;-)
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:56 AM   #8
Drive Shaft Dave

Several years ago I had to replace the electric choke on my 85 c10 pickup,every thing went fine with the new part untill six months later. I returned the choke coil to NAPA but I had lost the receipt,counterman said no problem , just looke it up on the computor, there is a one year warranty on electical parts. I like NAPA!
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I had a run in with the local NAPA in the small town where I worked at a car dealership. I went to NAPA for a new voltage regulator, but when I installed it the generator still wasn't putting out. I removed the cover and saw the air gap was 1/4" instead of .020", so I took it right back and told the store owner that it didn't work. He said "no returns on electrical parts that have been installed". Well, how would I know it didn't work if I didn't install it?

From then on I gave all our dealership business to the other parts store in town, and the NAPA closed about a year later.

I adjusted the point gap and made it work, but it obviously was never tested when it was built.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:54 AM   #10
coupe1942

Judge Judy requires them as evidence. :-)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:45 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
Judge Judy requires them as evidence. :-)
In my opinion, She is an actress not a judge and a bad actress at that! Her prime purpise is to bring attention to herself not to see that justice prevails. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 11-02-2016 at 02:59 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote