Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #21
flatford8

Default Re: 1941 Ford transmission

If your talking about going into 1st or reverse while sitting still....then yes....it’s a good idea to go into 2nd before selecting 1st or reverse.....I can’t give you the technical description but I believe the syncro in 2nd helps your shift to 1st or reverse....this is what I do and I get no grinding...I spent 35 yrs. in a trailer truck and shifting gears was my life...hope this helps....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #22
Hoop

Why are we trying to teach "albjerryg" how to double clutch?

He lives in Louisiana. There are very few steep hills there that would require down shifting into low.

While there may be some adjusting needed or some dragging, odds are he's not shifting correctly. I can make an otherwise satisfactory transmission grind every time ... even sitting still.

How much is the car being driven?

Lots we don't know about how he's trying to drive it. I would recommend a review of his technique ...

(Albjerryg, some of the advice given is from some guys who may be a little hazy on how the transmission really works ... including your nephew.)
Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #23
albjerryg

Thanks for your input. Jerry
albjerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #24
albjerryg

Sorry I thought about not responding to the last post but after a while I felt I should. I never asked about double clutching my original question was is there a way to synchronize my 1941 transmission. Most people have given a positive and helpful response that I appreciate and will try there suggestions and I thanks them for the help. I have a lot of confidence in my nephew he has been doing transmission for 40 years and does nothing else.> jerry
Old 01-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by albjerryg View Post
Sorry I thought about not responding to the last post but after a while I felt I should. I never asked about double clutching my original question was is there a way to synchronize my 1941 transmission. Most people have given a positive and helpful response that I appreciate and will try there suggestions and I thanks them for the help. I have a lot of confidence in my nephew he has been doing transmission for 40 years and does nothing else.> jerry
Hey Jerry, I agree that most of the responders did try to help you. Sometimes it's difficult to pinpoint the original posters problem and come up with a recommendation for a solution. I would suggest checking the things that have been suggested, then come back with a followup post here on this same thread to let us know if there is any improvement in the shifting of your transmission.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #26
Brendan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I used to road race with a standard 28 tooth Ford transmission.
After some practice it becomes very easy to downshift to first at 40 mph.
i did that in a 64 GMC pickup, at 60 mph i blew up the clutch disk... what a mess

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #27
albjerryg

I will do those thing suggested and get back to all. I guess I should tell you my car and shop are not at my house but at my camp and generally I get there a few days a week or every two weeks so it might be a while before I get to it. Thanks Jerry

Last edited by albjerryg; 01-14-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #28
Hoop

albjerrg,

You will have to excuse me, but I have to go on what you've told us.

If your nephew has been doing nothing but working on transmissions for 40 years, he should have been able to tell you with expert knowledge if "there was any way to synchronize the transmission."

If he did all the adjustments and did not find any problems ... maybe it's your driving technique.

You have not told us exactly when and how you're grinding the gears ... no nobody, except me, has asked.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #29
albjerryg

Sorry If I offended you but I will try and do better next time. I guess I should give you the full story most people don't want to many details. About 6 months ago my clutch quite working and I don't have a car lift. So I brought it to my nephew and asked him to see what the problem was and adjust the clutch. He pulled it apart and fixed the problem and adjusted the clutch as I asked. I have not spoken to him since then or have I seen him. While I was fixing other thing on the car and changing out the interior I made note of how it would grind when I was just sitting still and wondered if there was a way to modify the transmission to be synchronized and so I and asked the question . The car run fine on the road and it does not give a problem shifting when driving it. At first I thought about changing out the transmission to automatic but found out It would be a lot bigger job, so that is why I asked if it was possible to synchronize the transmission. I hope that clear up everything. thanks Jerry

Last edited by albjerryg; 01-14-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #30
cmbrucew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCGNiTO79Os

I remember replacing a clutch/transmission brake on larger equipment. It was a small friction pack that was indexed to the spline of the pilot shaft, and engaged by pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. They were very effective stopping the main shaft from turning.
Would be an interesting project to make one for a flathead.

Bruce