Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Gary Gregory

Default Drum reinforce bands

Thinking of installing reinforcing bands on my brake drums. Do the drums need to be turned after installation ? Ive been told no turning is needed. Yes I know Cast drums are the best way to go but I can't swing $100 per wheel + swedging my hubs and shipping. Thanks.
Gary Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Drum reinforce bands

You most likely will, but then, you may get lucky. You'll have to check them after mounting the rings..
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

the thinner they are the more they will distort ---how far are they already been turned over the manufacturers maximum specification

how smooth is the inner diameter of the bands---has it been machined round, or is it rough with a lump at the weld seam

some peoples 'OK" is much different than some others
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Gary Gregory

Kurt....I haven't had the drums checked yet and haven't bought the bands. Just looking for some input.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Bob C

Best to measure the drum with a drum micrometer and see what you have.
I cut a drum one time to save the band and it was only 1/16" thick in one area.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
Kevin in NJ

Honestly, while not the answer you want to hear, you need to really consider what you have for your brake system. It is your life and other lives on the line here.

Typically the brakes do not work because all of the parts are worn or wrong. The steel drums are almost always too big to be used. The shoes are not to the right diameter or centered. The wedges are touched up used parts.

Look real close at what you have and learn about all that really needs to be done to make brakes work properly. Then make decisions as to what is your best course of action. I say this because putting on the bands may not really solve anything if your shoes are not even close to touching 100%.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
stewwolfe

I put bands on my Roadster a number of years ago. They helped a little bit, but nothing like I really needed to be safe. I finally replaced all four drums with new CI drums from Randy Gross ($65.00 each), and now realize just how unsafe my car was, even with the drum bands. You will go with whatever you're comfortable with, but I can tell you that my "pucker factor" is gone now. I did find that I only had to turn one of the drums. The rest weren't pulled significantly out of round when I installed the bands. I heated the bands in my natural lump charcoal grill until they were red hot and then put them on the drums. I let them cool on their own (not sure if this was the best way to go, but didn't want to toss a load of water on them when they were that hot, for fear of splashing myself with the superheated liquid) and then spun them on an old spindle.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
I put bands on my Roadster a number of years ago. They helped a little bit, but nothing like I really needed to be safe. I finally replaced all four drums with new CI drums from Randy Gross ($65.00 each), and now realize just how unsafe my car was, even with the drum bands. You will go with whatever you're comfortable with, but I can tell you that my "pucker factor" is gone now. I did find that I only had to turn one of the drums. The rest weren't pulled significantly out of round when I installed the bands. I heated the bands in my natural lump charcoal grill until they were red hot and then put them on the drums. I let them cool on their own (not sure if this was the best way to go, but didn't want to toss a load of water on them when they were that hot, for fear of splashing myself with the superheated liquid) and then spun them on an old spindle.
If the wife is out of town you can also place the drums in the freezer. I put 4 of them on years ago and didn't need to turn the drums but if I had it to do today I would just buy the drum from Randy.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #9
Gary Gregory

Thanks...I have contacted Randy.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #10
stewwolfe

Randy is great! You won't go wrong dealing with him!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
KR500

When you consider buying the bands,turning the drums, installing them, shipping of the bands, you could purchase 2 drums and have them mounted to your hubs. Then start saving your coin for the remaining 2 drums.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote