Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
39portlander

Default cleaning carbon/head gasket...

Further evaluation after removing spark plugs on my 26 indicates cleaning the carbon is in order. I do have the MTFCA engine guide and the T service "Black book".

Chapter 4 in the T service is straight forward, my question is what cylinder head gaskets are you fellas using as I see 3 options in the parts suppliers catalogs.

While I do have things exposed and drained down for evaluation/repair what other areas around the engine should I pay attention to in regards to service as this Fordor has 90,809
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
tmodelman

Default Re: cleaning carbon/head gasket...

You don't state if the '26 was in good running order prior to this eval.

As for cleaning carbon, a good wire brush and scraper like a flexible putty knife is used. Be sure to clean well the head bolt holes, as carbon will fall into them if not sealed off. Best to use a bottom tap anyway and clean out the bolt holes so the new head bolts won't stick. Use new bolts as the old ones are now 80 years old and you don't want to break one in a hole.

The better gasket is the copper sandwich, you can use a steel one if you wish. That modern silicone dribble around the gasket edges isn't of much use, the sealant surface is just a tiny strip. Use Copper Coat spray head gasket sealer found at auto parts store to cover both sides of the gasket prior to setting it on.

Place the gasket correctly, the water ports for the front and rear of the block are different sized openings.

With the head off you can inspect the valves and seats, you may see them setting down in carbon too, and might be a good time for a valve job of at least valve paste grinding the seats and valve faces to clean them up. Depending on what you find, there may be more work to be done on the valves and seats.

Tighten the head bolts in sequence, the center ones first as the gasket is thinnest between the cylinders, torque to approx. 45-50 lbs max. The old threads in the old blocks can be compromised if you tighten too much! In Model T days there were no torque wrenches, use the std. Ford cylinder wrench which is about 7" long, gives plenty of hand muscle torque.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2507 (1280x960) (640x480).jpg (159.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2498 (1280x960) (550x413).jpg (143.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2510 (1280x960) (530x398).jpg (142.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5175.JPG (118.3 KB, 11 views)
tmodelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
redmodelt

Also, use a drill bit smaller then the head bolt size, by hand, twist in the bottom of the hole to break up any build up crud in the bottom of hole then blow or vacuum it it. You can use a drill but you want to go slow so as not to drill through the bottom or destroy the threads.
I use the copper gaskets. Depending on the condition of your old gasket, it can be reused. Remember this is a low compression engine.
Don't forget to re-torque the the head bolts several times after going thru heat/cool cycles.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
1937pickup

I am surprised to see the torque sequence, strait down the center to start and then back and forth. I was taught that when unsure start in the center bolt and go in a circle to smooth out the gasket. Guess it would not work on a T.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
39portlander

Thanks for the input guys, I will be ordering a copper head gasket/engine gasket set next week. The pictures are great TM.

As for good running order, it probably was before it was stored for several years and waited for a rescue. My initial compression test was (o) on #1, about 40 on #2,3 and 35ish on 4.

The engine sat with #1's exhaust valve raised for these many years and with the carbon/corrosion/rust from sitting that valve will not drop down when cam lobe has dropped. Removing the valve cover revealed what I had suspected.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
CharlieB

Excellent! Taking a comp test before pulling the head. You've been at this for a bit I expect as NOBODY ever does it. Copper gasket suggested above is probably best and the advice about cleaning out the bolt holes is golden and a must to do. Vacuum is OK air pressure/blowing out is better. Rags in the cyl. bores when doing this. Do the valves. You'll be much happier with the results.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
39portlander

Charlie I will be going over the valves as well, thanks for the input I will keep it very clean.

We were down in Atlantic city over this past weekend and were cruisin past Toms River early sat.morning trying to keep ahead of that storm. We did alright just about 7 hours back to Portland. Scott
Old 01-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
CharlieB

Lucky. Got about 5 to 6" total. Will be hitting Wolfgang Pucks down there in a few days.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote