Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2023, 08:08 AM   #1
Reelnative

Default Battery drain

Can someone help steer me in the right direction, the othe morning my 1930 Tudor, 6 Volt, Positive ground with Alternator had a dead battery. I charged the battery and it came back fine, its just over 1 year old, I didnt start it then but a few days later it was dead again. I disconnected the positive to the frame and charged it again, I thought suspect there id a draw so I connected my volt meter from the battery to the frame and with the key off it reads 1.3 volts, when I remove the fuse from the starter it goes to zero. I believe i have a bad ignition switch, any ideas on wht to check woud be appreciated.

Thanks
Reelnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:19 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Battery drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelnative View Post
Can someone help steer me in the right direction, the othe morning my 1930 Tudor, 6 Volt, Positive ground with Alternator had a dead battery. I charged the battery and it came back fine, its just over 1 year old, I didnt start it then but a few days later it was dead again. I disconnected the positive to the frame and charged it again, I thought suspect there id a draw so I connected my volt meter from the battery to the frame and with the key off it reads 1.3 volts, when I remove the fuse from the starter it goes to zero. I believe i have a bad ignition switch, any ideas on wht to check woud be appreciated.

Thanks
In a nutshell, the self-exciting regulator in the Alternator is your parasitic draw. Find a way to disconnect the wire to the alternator when the vehicle is not being driven and you will likely cure your issue.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
alexiskai

Previous thread with more info on parasitic draw:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301566
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
In a nutshell, the self-exciting regulator in the Alternator is your parasitic draw. Find a way to disconnect the wire to the alternator when the vehicle is not being driven and you will likely cure your issue.
To add, if you have a bad diode in the alternator rectifier, your battery will drain even faster.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:11 AM   #5
nkaminar

A few points:
  1. Disconnect all the items, like you did with the fuse, and then test with an ammeter to see if that is the source of the drain. Look at the alternator, stop light, etc.
  2. Install a battery disconnect switch. This is a safety item in case you have a bad short or electrical fire while on the road. It also can prevent theft and will stop all battery drain. Install it where accessible without having to take anything apart.
  3. Batteries don't like to be totally discharged. A starting battery can be damaged if discharged beyond about 20%. After you fix your problem, have the battery load tested at an automotive store.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote