Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
fundytides

Default windshield folds too far

Progressing with the assembly of my 31 Roadster. Had new safety glass installed in my frame and put it on the car today. The problem I see is that when I fold the windshield down, the glass lays on the gas cap. I can probably tighten the wing nuts enough to hold the windshield assembly a little higher but I know that with the weight of the glass it will go back down when driving. Is this a common problem? Any suggested solutions?
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
fundytides

Default Re: windshield folds too far

Nobody ever had this problem?
Old 08-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
updraught

The posts should lock out, this is an earlier type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg folding posts.jpg (5.2 KB, 62 views)
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
sphanna

Fundytides: I know exactly what you mean. I think perhaps my after market cap is too high. I just open the w/s until it is stopped by the cap..get plenty of air circulation. Or I remove cap & open window - replace cap and tighten swing arm nut. seems to work OK.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphanna View Post
Fundytides: I know exactly what you mean. I think perhaps my after market cap is too high. I just open the w/s until it is stopped by the cap..get plenty of air circulation. Or I remove cap & open window - replace cap and tighten swing arm nut. seems to work OK.
Not quite the same problem. Mine is a roadster and the problem occurs when I fold the windshield down into the "sporty" position where the whole assembly lays flat. I think it is supposed to have stops on the stanchion supports to keep it from going all the way but either the stops are worn or there is a problem with the stanchions themselves.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
fundytides

OK. I have done some more investigating. No solution yet, but here is what I have come up with:
-I have a reproduction gas cap that may or may not be taller than the original. I don't have an original to compare to.
-With the cap on, when the windshield is swung out from the bottom, there is lots of clearance for the cap. When the windshield is swung down and laid flat, it hits the gas cap.
-With the cap off, when the windshield is swung down and laid flat, the glass clears the gas tank filler spout very slightly but the center top snap on the windshield frame hits the rear hood rod retainer. By adjusting the angle of the glass and frame, clearance from the retainer can be obtained.
My conclusion, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the stainless steel stanchions, when laid flat, should rest on the lower post stanchions (the ones with the pivot stud in them) before the windshield hits either the gas cap or hood retainer. If this is correct does that mean that one or both lower stanchions are worn down and could be built up with weld or is there another solution that someone could suggest or has used in the past?
Old 08-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #7
Bob C

Here is a picture from MAFCA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30-roadster-deluxe.jpg (73.1 KB, 80 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
fundytides

Bob C. Thanks for the pic. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the windshield should be horizontal when folded down. Mine certainly goes lower than that so maybe my stanchion supports need to be built up. I'll try to find a picture that shows a little more detail
Old 08-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
fundytides

I have looked at other pictures and along with the one Bob C. sent me it appears that the windshield should lay horizontal when folded down and supported by the front edges of the lower stanchion supports. Based on this and pictures that I can find of repro lower stanchion supports, it appears that the front edge of my front supports are worn down allowing the windshield to fold further. I think that I will build up the front edges on both lower supports to the point that the windshield will be horizontal and clear the gas cap by at least 1/4". Someone must have put a lot of miles on this car with the windshield down to wear the supports that much.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #10
old31

With my windshield folded down I have to be careful or it will hit.

I push the windshield down all the way, then bring it up about a 1/2" and then tighten the lower wingnuts.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #11
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
With my windshield folded down I have to be careful or it will hit.

I push the windshield down all the way, then bring it up about a 1/2" and then tighten the lower wingnuts.
Will the wingnuts hold is ok on rough roads?