Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
Garagekulture13

Default Hotrod Regrets

Anyone ever take a bone stock Model A and hotrod it and then regret they ever changed the car (or truck)? I have a stock 1930 Coupe and am always fighting myself on making changes. You know 16" wheels, juice brakes, drop axle, etc. I just drove the car again to Nashville, TN (close to an hour from me) and don't really have any complaints other than the brakes need a good going over. So why change anything? Well for looks.........I love the way the car looks but also love hotrods and there is the internal battle. Hotrods bring more money in the end but I also feel like I am now the care taker of this car that has made it 85 years without alterations and would hate to start now. I realize this is definitely an opinion based topic but am interested in what you all have to say. My car is the one on top and the one in the bottom is just for reference .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
1955cj5

Default Re: Hotrod Regrets

You are the caretaker!

They are only original once..

I've never heard of a rod that has been returned to original.......
Old 04-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
mhsprecher

I have no data to go on, but my gut feel is that you will end up with more $ invested in a hot rod. You may get more out of it, but haven't you invested more? I doubt you will get what back what you put in it. I'm not a hot rod guy, so maybe that is just my prejudice showing. Others will know more.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Stew Masche

Why not sell your nice original coupe to someone who will respect it for what it is, and where it has been. You could go out and buy a finished hot rod, or a work in progress and finish it. I always hear people say it is cheaper to but a car that is already finished, than to build one.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
Deny1950

I am the same as you, i love them both. i would not rod that one it shure looks nice drive it the way it is. Then start looking for another body that is not as nice and rod that one, that is what i plan to do. I will probably buy the rod road ready for you can buy them for 50 cents on the dollar. They are not bringing that good of a return any more. Mussel cars seem to be bringing more than rods.
Deny1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
holdover

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have 3 original style model As a '29 Coupe, a '29 CCPU & a '31 AA, I like them that way. But if I came upon a hulk that was in sorry shape and cheap, I might build it into a hot rod. My second car was a '32 roadster that I put a 55 Buick nailhead in it and drove the wheels off of it in '61-62, I'de like to have it back, but would build one if I had a chance. I do everything myself so I wouldn't have to contract anything out, but there is no way I would mess up a nice one, to each his own....
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
G&N Farms

I'm a hot-rod guy. When I heard about the A we bought, my first thoughts were to hot-rod it. Then my wife and I went to look at it. That was the first time I wanted to leave a car stock.

I have a 40 Chevy coupe with monster tires and wheel well headers and a 57 Chevy truck with power disc brakes and lowered. Both had too many problems in the beginning to put them back stock. (both have more then that)

I think it depends on what shape the car/truck is. If it's just a body and frame, hot-rod, if everything is there , stock.

I agree if you want a rod, build it or buy a different car. Leave the stock one stock. Have two cars, that would be cool.

Man, I'm getting old for talking like this...
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
Marleysurf

I agree with everyone and leave it stock. It's only that way once! I'm only 36, have had 3 hot rods and sold them all. And all I wanted after my hot rods was a bone stock model a, which I just found. It's so cool to me that I have a totally original stock car that has been around since 1929! So Cool!! And people love it! Everywhere I go people come up and check it out. It's literally like driving a piece of history !
Marleysurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
Fordors

I guess if one is looking to build cars for a living then a positive return is essential. On the other hand, if you enjoy working on a car and driving the end result then what does it matter if you eventually get your money back or not? A hobby is really a losing proposition, whether it is restoring cars, playing golf, or whatever you choose. Setting up a home shop and buying parts and supplies, buying golf clubs and practicing with maybe some lessons thrown in, no matter what there is an investment that can never be returned completely.
I've seen examples of what you describe and I know it can be done without destroying anything on a stock A and later be reversed if you so desired. The coupe in your second photo has a chopped top and a flathead V8 conversion, clearly that one will always remain a hot rod. It would be great to get back what one has spent but isn't personal satisfaction worth something too? JMO
Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

You are the reason we fight so much about keeping them at least revertible back to stock. I do love a traditional Hot Rod, and I know there are those that started a project and gave up so carcasses are available that allow the stock bodies to remain so.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 PM   #11
Manager

You can always go half way like I have, lower it and pull the bumpers and dropped headlight bar and 16's. I kept the stock bits and bought another axle to drop and spring and perches to modify.. I reckon I could change it back in 2 hours. V8 would be nice but I think a mitchell syncro box is all I really need and probably as far as I'm going to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back on the road 002.jpg (61.8 KB, 114 views)
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #12
waxhead

I have lowered my pickup using a drop axle, fitted 16 inch wheels and hopped up the engine using period correct parts such as Winfield head, intake, carburettor ( and a mitchell gearbox/over drive)etc. I have found this to be a happy medium between a full blown hot rod and a completely standard car. All of this is reversible if I wanted to do so (but doubt I ever will).
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 AM   #13
Garagekulture13

What got me thinking on this topic was an article I read in the Restorer Volume 52 • Issue 1 May/June 2007 titled Another Special Coupe on page 26. The Gentleman owned the car forever and shortly after he bought it he put in a flathead V8 and hotroded the Coupe. Well 28 years later he decides he wants a coupe as Henry built it. A great article cut short that is what he did and now has a beautiful "as Henry built" coupe.

I in no way have in mind to alter the body or change the engine. My considerations were a drop axle, 16" wheels, juice brakes, and some traditional hope up parts for the 4 banger. But as stated I'm always going back and forth as to my intent. I do know I need tires and need to make up my mind as to wether to put new rubber on the stock 19s or look for some 16s, lol.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:56 AM   #14
Jamesmulvihill

I think you are smart to keep it original. Just think, you own and helped to preserve a little piece of history. Not many people can say that. Henry Ford would be very proud of you.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:06 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Not too long ago I read about some guy that must have hated his dad. When his father passed away the guy dumped acid on the beautifully restored Model A his dad had, so he could turn it into a rat rod. That's an extreme case, but a good example of how many nice cars have been destroyed.

This guy is a true candidate for the annual "Darwin Award". Then the other day I came across this guy, and now I don't know which one is in the lead for the Darwin Award.

There are enough parts and unfinished project cars out there, that no good complete cars should be messed up for a rod. If you need more speed, a high compression head and 3.27 ring and pinion, or overdrive will get you a good cruising speed. A counterweighted crankshaft will help the life of the babbit or insert bearings.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBBER-CHOPP...-/111298735204
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stand Up Scooter.jpg (22.6 KB, 142 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #16
MikeK

Tom, I think those handlebars are a safety feature. They prevent texting while driving.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:34 AM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I think it is called guilty conscience syndrome. You have already made up your mind and Nothing that we are going to say will change your mind. Good luck. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:57 AM   #18
dumb person

Keep it stock. Other cars have mod's and are cheap to buy compared to what they'd cost.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:17 AM   #19
Big hammer

When I purchased my car, I promised the seller I would keep it stock. That was 46 years ago, so these questions have been going on for years! Why not go totally new in a hot rod, new frame,independent suspension,fuel injection, computerized what not's !
They are only real once, save a POS or build a new hot rod :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:27 AM   #20
cradlescyth

Waited years to be able to purchase my A. As has been stated let the "A"

live. If you need the money just sell it and get a basket case to make a rod.

you might even be ahead of the game as such
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote