Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
wingerdinger

Default '35 Model 51- 1 1/2 ton transmission removal

Hi to all,
I am very new to all this. I went beserk a few weeks ago, and bought a 1935 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck. I am told it's a Model 51.
At 60 years old, this is my first try at a restoration. I want to keep it pretty original, and it shouldn't be too hard.. the truck is in pretty good shape.
I had it running the day after I got it home, just a few tweaks.
It won't drive because the clutch won't disengage. I bought a new clutch and pressure plate, and am attempting to install it. I have read all over about how you need to either remove the engine, or slide the rear end back to allow clearance to pull the tranny (closed driveshaft).
However, I began by sliding the housing that attaches to the rear of the tranny, behind the crossmember. I discovered a hub attached to the inner driveshaft, that mates with a hub attached to the u-joint section at the rear of the tranny. I removed the bolts that attach the two hubs together, and they separated easily. I was able to move the inner driveshaft enough to see that if I could raise the engine and transmission at the rear, I would have enough clearance to pull off the transmission.
I removed all the bolts and hardware from the crossmember, removed the 4 bolts holding the tranny to the crossmember. It looks as if the crossmember should now slide to the rear to clear the tranny.
However, something is holding it at the transmission.
Do I have to remove the transmission mount out of the rear of the crossmember to free the transmission from it?
Or, what am I missing?
I am unable to find much information about this, and this truck in general.
If someone could enlighten me, I would be grateful.
wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: '35 Model 51- 1 1/2 ton transmission removal

An old book I have says that once you slide back the coupling shaft cover, unbolt the u-joint it is lowered to below the crossmember and removed-(slid off the splines)--the rear mount is unbolted, the engine jacked up and the trans pulled back
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
wingerdinger

Well, I got the transmission ready to pull. The problem I was having is that the transmission mount was stuck solid to the crossmember. I could not get it to budge, so I though that maybe the mount had to be removed from the tranny. I cut the safety wire and removed those bolts, so that I could separate the tranny from the crossmember. I discovered that the mount was behind the ujoint assembly, and was going nowhere with out removing the crossmember from the mount. I inspected it carefully, and pried from one corner until I saw it finally begin to separate.
So, it turns out, you do not need to dismount the mount from the transmission. You only need to pry for all you're worth to separate the mount from the crossmember. Once the crossmember is away from the transmission, you only need to raise the motor rear to clear the drive shaft, and pull it out.
The REAL good news is, unlike all the other `non-tonners' (1/2 ton and cars), you do not need to either remove the engine, or slide back the rear end to remove the transmission! I was not looking forward to that at all!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
wingerdinger

I should have mentioned that the reason I am replacing the clutch is that there is no petal left, and no more adjustment. I am unable to mechanically disengage the clutch. I will post more once I find out why.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
wingerdinger

Good news first. I got transmission out. I found out why the clutch didn't release. It is worn to just where the rivets are exposed. It was stuck to the pressure plate, and it appears that was corroded on at the brass-looking rivets.
Now the bad news. This is a model 51, 1-1/2 ton, and has an 11" clutch. There is no way in Hell that the pressure plate is coming out the bell housing from the transmission hole.
I have to drop the lower half of the bell housing. I know that on the cars and light trucks with larger clutches, the lower bell housing and oil pan is one piece.
Somebody PLEASE tell me that the big trucks have a separate lower bell housing.. please?
Old 11-24-2014, 02:18 AM   #6
Brian

I feel for you; honest I do!! The trucks [at least some of them] in the 40's had an oilpan with a removeable section at rear in order to be able to do exactly what you're wanting to do. But, I doubt your old 35 has this feature. More work ahead for you! Do not get discouraged, it is a character building exercise, enjoy it! It will be worth it when you can drive it.
Actually, when I first read your post, my initial thoughts were that the clutch was stuck to the flywheel [this is common when they sit for a period], and that you were making a big job of it, whereas you could have simply broken it loose, but it would appear you have indeed gone about it the right way; by not undertaking short cuts. At least you'll know what you've got! Good luck, enjoy ownership of your nice old truck
Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
alanwoodieman

I had some of your same problems with my 41 1 1/2 ton truck, removing the oil pan was not that difficult and this enabled me to clean the oil pan of any sludge and to inspect the bottom side of the engine all while replacing the clutch assembly. Got to ask why do you want to do a complete restoration ? -truck looks very good in the pictures-maybe worse than than that in real life, anyway have fun!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2130004.jpg (74.3 KB, 14 views)
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
wingerdinger

I haven't looked it over too well, but you guys think I can just drop the pan without too much difficulty? .. I have visions of my '50s Chevy with the oil pan front behind the timing chain cover.
Any tips?
Thanks for all the help so far, and the positive feedback.
I don't know if you'd call it a `complete' restoration, but I want it reliable and pretty. The hood and top are rusty, and the cab needs a little work. I have a nephew dying to paint it. I have a spare motor, and will have to analyze them both to see which will go in it.
I don't think I'll ever get to `showing' it, but I want it pretty.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
wingerdinger

Character building, huh? If you ask my girlfriend, she'd tell you I don't need any more character! I was just hoping to avoid lying on my back on the cold concrete any more. If I'd known what I know now, I'd have pulled the motor in the spring.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
alanwoodieman

a little work, lots of fun and the first ride down the driveway made it all worth it. making progress, rebuilt bed frame, lumber for bed floor and standards, is in first picture. some more welding/ ding removal on the front fenders, put the grill back in are next on my to do list. I runstorated a 3/4 stake because it was really bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7200001.jpg (123.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P9300012.jpg (100.4 KB, 22 views)
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
wingerdinger

Nice! Someday, I'll be there.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #12
wingerdinger

I am keeping a journal of sorts, to help document the restoration of this truck.
I will post at that thread from now on. For anyone interested, here is the link:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155450

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.