Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #1

Default Two tooth or Seven.

I have an option of fitting either a two or seven tooth steering box to a speedster I am building. The two tooth is in need of repair, ie the bearings that is , sector and steering rod bushes need replacing. The seven tooth also needs a repair kit. Both these are RHD steering.
Not wishing to start another long winded and eternal discussion such as the oil debate, but, which would be the better system two or seven or put another way seven or two.
Many thanks from the land down under.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Two tooth or Seven.

Two tooth has multiple adjustments that can be done as the parts wear a little. The 7 tooth no. I would go with the two tooth for your speedster.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Tassie,

Just because the 2 tooth came after the 7 tooth, & knowing Henry Ford's wanting better quality with each change to upgrade performance, it appears the 2 tooth would be the best route.

But others may have different opinions.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

Get micrometer out and your magnifying glasses.

Look close at the parts you have as to what may be good. The best box is the one put together to factory tolerances with excellent parts.

Since you likely to have both boxes worn, I would think the 2 tooth is easier and cheaper to build right. Please take some time to read what I say about sector bushings as none of the off the shelf items are correct as far as I know.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Joe K

Plus one on each of the replies above. Technically the two tooth sector is improved over the 7 tooth. More adjustment - better adjustment - and construction not relying on manufacturing tolerances to keep free play at a reasonable amount.

I've often thought that someone should come up with "eccentric bushings" to rebuild a 7 tooth such that it could be adjusted similarly to the 2 tooth. It shouldn't be that hard to make this all fit in the current 7 tooth housing?

But this would be a departure to Ford's design, a change that might or might not be able to be detected in Formal Judging - which if detected would likely be a death knell to it's general and common use by the rest of us?

If (thinking judging here) your car is one where either the 2 tooth or 7 tooth has been used previously MOST choose the 2 tooth option.

If yours is a speedster and judging is not a concern - go the easy way out. Maybe even the F150 or Vega or Mel Gross steering box options.

Speedsters are for driving - are they not?

Have fun with it.

Joe K
Old 08-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
hardtimes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Logical choice, given your input on both condition and use...2-tooth ! Better yet , IMO, Mel Gross F-150.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
gwhite

Why not go with a mid '33-34 (15:1 ratio) box? They are easily mounted to the A chassis via a 2-tooth sector housing. You'll get a stronger box with a better ratio...oh, and a much shorter (5 1/2") pitman arm as well.

This is what I'm going to be running on my late 30's-early 40's style hot rod.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

I have one of each in my two A's. I also would go with the 2 tooth for the same reasons mentioned above.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
brito36

Take it from an owner of several vehicles with the seven tooth sector, go with the two tooth. It is superior unit and can be adjusted. My 1931 steers a whole lot better than my 1928...
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #10

Thank you all for your replies. I have not had time to dismantle the two tooth box as yet. I spent the day getting the motor ready and was able to start it mid afternoon today. It ran a little rough but I think it is in bad need of a tune up. I have replaced some rather ancient looking plugs with Motorcraft set to 30thou and reset the points to 20thou. The battery is on charge over night, it is not doing bad for a 12 year old sealed lead acid battery having had a hard life in a B2 Helicopter. 12v 800ah.
Hopefully I will be able to get to the steering early next week. The majority of you good people seem to think that the two tooth is the way to go, so if it is not too bad that is the path I will follow. Again many thanks for your advice and wisdom