Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Doing "upgrades"

There are certain "upgrades" that some people do to their otherwise stock model A's that puzzle me so I thought i would ask. This is partly in response to the thread on "grease" where the discussion involved original style vs modern grease nipples. My car has some of each and was missing a couple when i got it so I replaces the missing ones with original style. I have an original grease gun that came with another of my model A's so I use that on those style nipples. Yes i need two different guns to grease the car but that is a non-issue for me. Curious as to why someone would change out all the original style in favour of modern nipples?. Another curiosity is when someone converts their otherwise stock Model A to 12V and sometimes neg ground. I rather like all the charming features of the car and the 6V positive system is one of them. The only reason that I can think of is availability of parts should you break down on the road. However, there is SO few electrical things on the car that, should i go on an extended road trip (which I intend to do) I can just carry a few spares and the only one that comes to mind (other than perhaps a couple light bulbs) is the generator and an ignition coil and condenser. Not much else that I can think of that will cause grief. I can start it easy enough without the starter should that fail. I guess what I am getting at is, since i am new to these stock model A's, is there something I am overlooking?. Is there a reason why a system that worked well for decades should be considered "upgraded" today?. I hate to lose the charm of these old cars unless there is a practical reason.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Re: Doing "upgrades"

Your reasons are just that,and stand above dispute.However,if you are interested in why folks go to 12v and an alternator that answer is fairly simple.Alternators have a stable output,generators fluctuate with engine rpm..all down stream components suffer from voltage fluctuation,it shortens the life of the component when it operates under varying load.12v also opens the door to a wider variety of options,6v is limited and more expensive as a rule.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
Licensed to kill

Would a voltage regulator not take care of fluctuations?. What downstream components are at risk?.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Would a voltage regulator not take care of fluctuations?. What downstream components are at risk?.
Yes, a voltage regulator would give you constant output voltage from your generator, once the engine RPM is up high enough to start putting out enough voltage to exceed the voltage in the battery.

The main advantage of a voltage regulator is that it adjusts the current output from the generator to be just what you need to run the car and charge the battery. Once the engine RPM is up high enough, a stock Model A generator always puts out the same current, adjusted with the movable brush, regardless of how much current you need.

At night you may be powering your headlights only partly from the generator output, and the rest is coming from the battery. Eventually you can end up with a dead battery and engine does not run. Or you adjust the amperage out of the generator up to power the lights.

If you do, then during the day, once the battery is recharged after starting the engine, the higher constant current output is more than you need, but the generator forces it into the battery anyway. This boils the water out of the battery. This is why you need to check the battery water once a month, especially if you drive mostly during the day.

A voltage regulator recharges the battery and then reduces the current out of the generator automatically. So you can set the generator up for high current output (for the lights at night) and not worry about hurting the battery during the day.

Most of the original electrical components on a Model A are not harmed by varying voltage on the car while the generator runs the volts up and down. Bulbs will get bright or dim, the horn will spin faster or slower... The battery takes the brunt of the high voltage.

It is easy to add a hidden voltage regulator to a stock Model A generator. You don't need an alternator to get that upgrade; well worth doing. Be sure to get one that matches your ground system (stock positive or negative) and battery voltage.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post

A voltage regulator recharges the battery and then reduces the current out of the generator automatically. So you can set the generator up for high current output (for the lights at night) and not worry about hurting the battery during the day.
That sounds like a great idea. How does one "set it up" for high current output?.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
That sounds like a great idea. How does one "set it up" for high current output?.
You move the 3rd brush in the generator.

The voltage regulator instructions include how to do this.

For example, look at:
http://www.funprojects.com/products/10505r.aspx

There are others.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

The twelve volt Fun projects voltage regulator work well for me . Six volt systems that use the original generator run at higher amperage out put than if using the generator on 12 volts with the Fun Projects regulator . I adjust the adjustable third brush in the generator for a 10 amp maximum charge . The voltage regulator allows the out put to cycle on demand , similar to modern . The generator charges the battery in amps . The voltage of the battery that is used controls the voltage of the vehicle that it is used on . If the system remains positive ground , not a single wire will need to be changed and it will retain that part of the model A charm . Components should run cooler and under less strain on a lower amperage 12 volt system with the original generator . I use 25W halogen bulbs that fit the original sockets offered by Brattions . Rather than use a ballast resister at the coil connection I installed a three OHM coil that is internally resisted . I chose the Pertronix 40.000 volt flame thrower coil . I get instant starts and more power that I can feel . I use the modern style starter drive on our roadster but have used original Bendix drive on others with no problem so far . I get brighter headlamps and all of the advantages of a modern more powerfull electricle system that doesn't show .

The reason that most use a 12 volt system with an alternator is for brighter headlamps . With an alternator a person can use the 55-60W halogen bulbs that are bright as modern cars ..When using a 12 volt alternator it is necessary to convert to negative ground . If converting to negative ground it will be necessary to connect the battery as negative ground . It will be necessary to reverse the wires at the coil and ammeter and that should do it . Of course the bulbs would have to be changed . It will be best to use a resister at the horn and electric windshield wiper connections . The larger the guage the more currant a wire can carry . If in good condition , the klarger guage original wiring will carry the extra voltage without strain . Just a few thoughts .___
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

The voltage regulator came about in the attempt to extend component life,bulb filaments for instance,provide maximum life at a constant voltage.This is a model a ford site,I understand the simplicity and quaint value of the original system and the esthetics of a generator as opposed to an alternator.But there is benefits the alternator offers that a generator doesnt,increased ampacity at reduced load being one.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I agree , there are benefits to using an alternator . If used mostly as the model A was intended and in good condition the generator will perform well . I always prefer mods that don't show . I have used one wire alternators on model As that I sometimes drove at night .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote