Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
sphanna

Default Which radial tire size? 19"

Sorry about so many posts about radial tires, but I am having trouble getting info on which size to go with. 5.50/19 or 5.00/19. I have standard 19" wheels on Fordor. Any of you have radials with recomendations for me?
Old 10-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Which radial tire size? 19"

I am planning on using 5.50X19 when I bite the bullet. Others may chime in.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

These 5.50 R 19s would be hard to sneer at! Order 'em at Jeg's and the shipping is almost free. Type-in "Stahl Excelsior". DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 03-13-2016 at 09:35 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
sphanna

V8coopman:with the Bamboo bomber, UC78, Jane Russell Cub Avatar, I like your Avatar !!

Do you have the 5.50 tires in your car? If so, I wonder if there are any issues you have found. Like rubbing on brake rods or------
Old 10-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
These 5.50 R 19s would be hard to sneer at! Order 'em at Jeg's and the shipping is almost free. Type-in "Stahl Excelsior". DD

Jegs has a $10/tire Fed-Ex Fee: Summit has free shipping and no extra fee. Same Price as Jegs and on The Coker web-site.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
updraught

Interesting variety of recommended rim widths from the Coker web site:

550R16
Rim Width: 4.00 - 5.00

550R17
Rim Width: 4.50 - 5.00

550R18

550R19
Rim Width: 3.25 - 4.50

550/600R21

-------------------

650R16
Rim Width: 4.00 - 6.00

600/650R17
Rim Width: 5.00 - 6.00

600/650R18

650R19
Rim Width: 4.00 - 6.00

650/700R20
Rim Width: 6.00 - 7.00

550/600R21
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:18 AM   #7
updraught

It looks like the radials are only designed for hot rods ... judging by the rim width required.

A bit about rim widths on vintage cars from the Blockley web site:

http://www.blockleytyre.com/page4.htm

.... More seriously it is my opinion that these Dunlop's have been designed for 4inch rim widths whereas our Bugattis tend to be no more than 2.7 inches! Apart from rounding off the tread, which reduces the contact patch, this is what makes them even more bulbous than they already are. A friend of mine owns the Zagari photographic archive and by studying the photographs, coupled with checking period data, I think I can safely say that no competition car pre-war had a rim width exceeding 4 inches, which may come as a bit of a surprise to most of us. My just pre-war GP Alfa Romeo only had a 4-inch rim and that was for their widest 7.00 section tyre! I therefore surmised that if one were involved in a big and expensive enough accident an insurer could argue that the Dunlop tyres being used were too large for pre-war rim widths, information which is clearly stipulated in their data. Conversely if wider wheels were fitted to accommodate these inappropriate tyres (as so many have had to do) it could be pointed out that the vehicle has been modified out of specification -and rightly so because wider wheels tend to be built away from the brake drum which is why one often sees them laced on the inside and middle only, widening the track, altering steering geometry and so on and, worst of all in my view, making the cars look like out of character 'hot rods' which we have begun to take as the norm.

http://www.blockleytyre.com/page2.htm

• It is designed to correctly fit rim widths available in period (typically 3 inches for 500 and 2.5 inches for 4.50 sections). Presently the higher performance road cars fitted with, say, a 5.00x19 race tyre have had to be fitted with a rim measuring at least 4 inches across the well as recommended by the manufacturer - A ludicrous situation as cars did not have such wide rims originally. As an example G.P Bugattis, with their aluminium wheels having a width of only 2.7 inches either have to fit these same tyres, or fit non-standard wheels - either solution being unsatisfactory. Blockley tyres address these shortcomings

• The rubber specification is no softer than "204" which is the VSCC and FIA standard chosen. Our products are a genuine road tyre, designed to be "on the pace" with other brands when it comes to circuit racing which has already been clearly demonstrated. Particular attention has been paid to totally overcome the "chunking" problems regularly witnessed with other makes of tyre.
  • At present old car tyres are exempt from any of the legislation requirements expected of current vehicles tyres. Blockley tyres on the other hand have been subjected to a 130mph (H) speed rating and D.o.T. (Dept. of Transportation) testing for the USA. The reason for choosing such a high speed rating when so few of our cars can attain this speed is to ensure a high design and build quality which affect roundness, balance and so on. This is of benefit to any vehicle, such as my Riley '9' (which was the reason for producing the 4.50 x 19)
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
Pat Martone

I've been using the excelsior stahl sport radials, 500R19 version, on my model a with model a wheels for 5 years with no problem. Furthermore, I ordered them as a complete package from Coker, that is, a complete of 5 tires and new Model A wheels and radial tire tubes with metal stems, all mounted and shipping to my house. They are fantastic and show no signs of wear after about 7,000 miles.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote