Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #41
Keith True

Default Re: a 400 on BAT went for 22k

I don't think you were one of the idiots.Those guys were the ones responding,give yuh $2500,cash today.I wanted to trade it for a Phaeton,or maybe a wagon.I was looking at a nice Phaeton for sale,and a fellow asked me if I would take that amount of money for my car.I told him I would.I did lose track of some of the offers,there were just so many more than I thought there would be.There were a few people I had to call to give them the chance to meet the offer,I had promised them I would.a couple thought about it and passed,and one said that it was $10,000 more than he was willing to pay.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #42
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I don't think you were one of the idiots.Those guys were the ones responding,give yuh $2500,cash today.I wanted to trade it for a Phaeton,or maybe a wagon.I was looking at a nice Phaeton for sale,and a fellow asked me if I would take that amount of money for my car.I told him I would.I did lose track of some of the offers,there were just so many more than I thought there would be.There were a few people I had to call to give them the chance to meet the offer,I had promised them I would.a couple thought about it and passed,and one said that it was $10,000 more than he was willing to pay.
Would this be an example of collector car prices on the rise??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #43
ronn

for a 3 window Brent- of course, its called "RARITY"

what the A 400 is. Thanks for making my point............. haha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #44
Aretino

Emotions
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #45
Keith True

I'm real good about getting back to people about stuff I have for sale.I felt bad that I didn't get back to a lot of people,I wasn't trying to ignore them.i would be out laying block for a foundation and I would get calls about this car.Then,I would mix them up when I sat down at night.A good portion of people were looking at it as a car to restore and wanted to price it accordingly.The rarity and desirability factor meant nothing to them.But,a lot of people saw JUST that,and condition was way down on the list.The fact that it was registered and insured interested a whole other faction of people.My wife just told me there were dozens of responses that she just deleted without showing them to me.Those were the,trade your old car for my 85 Camaro types.If they looked somewhat serious she would send them my phone number.Talk,no text.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:52 AM   #46
ronn

all good Keith..........
Old 08-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #47
ronn

Aretino- Aero said it best- SWEET EMOTION.................
Old 08-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #48
Keith True

The 400-A I bought in Maine was an interesting deal.I got a letter from the estate lawyer asking if I was interested in an A.Still not sure how I was selected to receive the offer.The letter was very precise on how the transaction would happen.I was given a choice of appointment times,those were when the lawyer would be there to meet me.No details,(the lawyer knew nothing),just convertible sedan.Inspection was to be eyes only,no cranking over,no window rolling down,Just me and a flashight.Payment was to be paper only.No cash,no wire transfers,just any kind of a check.He told me a personal check was fine.I didn't need proof of insurance to look at it,but I did to air up the tires and winch it out.Every detail was spelled out in the letter,there were no surprises.I had brought my trailer with me,that presented a little bit of problem as the lawyer was allotted one hour to meet with me.I went for lunch and he sent somebody from his office to open the gate and wait for me to load.I actually paid the office guy,and got a detailed bill of sale,which boiled gown to they were selling me a pile of junk to do what I wanted to with.There were no discussions,it was spelled out very clearly it was to be yes or no.I knew in two minutes I was buying it.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #49
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
The 400-A I bought in Maine was an interesting deal.I got a letter from the estate lawyer asking if I was interested in an A.Still not sure how I was selected to receive the offer.The letter was very precise on how the transaction would happen.I was given a choice of appointment times,those were when the lawyer would be there to meet me.No details,(the lawyer knew nothing),just convertible sedan.Inspection was to be eyes only,no cranking over,no window rolling down,Just me and a flashight.Payment was to be paper only.No cash,no wire transfers,just any kind of a check.He told me a personal check was fine.I didn't need proof of insurance to look at it,but I did to air up the tires and winch it out.Every detail was spelled out in the letter,there were no surprises.I had brought my trailer with me,that presented a little bit of problem as the lawyer was allotted one hour to meet with me.I went for lunch and he sent somebody from his office to open the gate and wait for me to load.I actually paid the office guy,and got a detailed bill of sale,which boiled gown to they were selling me a pile of junk to do what I wanted to with.There were no discussions,it was spelled out very clearly it was to be yes or no.I knew in two minutes I was buying it.
Weird story! What did you do with the car?
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #50
Keith True

I sold it to a man in upstate New York.My dad and I were roofing some buildings for an elderly car collector near us.His specialty was 30's-40's and 50's GM products.But,he liked and about most anything.He had an old friend that wanted to do a 400-A before he died,so he asked if it was alright to contact me.I said sure,so HE wrote me a letter with contact info and I talked to him.He bought the car on my description,but I'm sure I was vouched for by my friend here.Correctness was the issue for him.I knew what I had,and I am not interested in the level of restoration this car was prime for.Some A guys around here looked at it,before I thought about selling it.I got kind of disgusted at some of the guys that really thought they were going to swindle me out of it,I really hadn't seen many of those guys since I was a kid first playing with the A's.I got one letter from him years later telling me the mechanicals had almost no wear,with perfect body parts.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #51
todd3131

Cool story. I am going to find one and it will be my last.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:13 AM   #52
mhsprecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
Cool story. I am going to find one and it will be my last.
Good luck.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:26 AM   #53
Oldbluoval

If you’re serious get in the A400 group
They become available pretty regularly
Find Joop in this post; he’s the administrator of the group
Oldbluoval is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:36 AM   #54
ronn

very good point Oldblue

I joined the 180 group and found some cars immediately- but also realized I prefer the a 400. A vicky and convertible in one, for me.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #55
todd3131

Thank you I sent a message. Once I find a car the hard part begins...... The wife.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:51 PM   #56
Oldbluoval

Just don’t involve her! She likely would just consider the whole subject a bother
Surprise her ....Say for birthday, anniversary or Christmas!
Yeah that’s it!!
Oldbluoval is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #57
ronn

My favorite line is- I have to ask the wife.

Have heard that no less then 100x. Inevitably, not one of those suckers has ever bought a car from me. It is a death sentence and the end of negotiating.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #58
Keith True

I've sold thousands of things over the years,and checking with the wife is a polite way of saying you want too much,not nice enough,or I don't want your old junk.When dealing with a wife,(or a municipality)it is always easier to ask forgiveness that to ask for permission.You can try to reason,explain,justify,etc for weeks.The yelling will stop,you can't unring the bell.In the early 80's I bought a 34 Ford coupe body,from an ex stock car for $3500.That night my girlfriend came out into the garage and asked what I had bought.I told her a 34 Ford,she looked out front for it and said,prolly don't even run.Everybody in the garage was laughing,the body was sitting on stands in front of us in the garage.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:18 PM   #59
todd3131

No she is pretty good I bought a 560 sl five years ago and I was going to do a quick flip on it. I just put 25 thousand miles on it and she won't let me sell it. My real hold back is I'm looking for another commercial property that I can rent out part of and make the other into a maker space for my son and some of my employees. Once I have that I will have a place to put it.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #60
ronn

nice a 400 now listed in the swap at 40k..............

not mine.