Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #1
alumcantandthd

Default '32 Roadster Cartouche interiors

Anybody out there have a Deuce Roadster that has a Cartouche interior kit in it?
Could sent me some good pictures of it, please?
Thanks.
alumcantandthd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:49 AM   #2
alumcantandthd

Default Re: '32 Roadster Cartouche interiors

Anyone, please?
Old 08-04-2021, 01:01 AM   #3
deuce lover

Try posting your request on the HAMB also.There is a restored '32 roadster listed on the Hemmings Website with excellent pics of the uph.Its not Cartouche but that will give you something to go by if you find an upholsterer do do your car.You can buy just the panel set and have your guy do it.'32 roadsters are not complicated. 25 Years ago I bought a Cartouche kit for my '32 tudor.Wasn't right on but it fit fine.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #4
alumcantandthd

Thanks. I'm looking to see what a Cartouche interior kit actually looks like in a '32 Roadster.

The only pictures I could find was what 'generic' pictures are in the Fabric Samples folder they sent me.

I'll post over on the HAMB, see what they say.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:07 AM   #5
deuce lover

Maybe call Cartouche and get a reference to a previous order.Apparently no one here has with a '32 roadster bought their kit. Try also the V8 Club Website and start a discussion on the '32 Forum.

Last edited by deuce lover; 08-05-2021 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
alumcantandthd

The V8 Club website, has a members only secret code to register. I tried registering several times, I was rejected each time, so I gave up. > PM'd a couple of members and asked if they would ask/post the question for me. Neither one responded to me. So that only leaves the Barn and HAMB. I posted over on the HAMB, but haven't generated any replies yet. > ANY correspondence to Cartouche, get directed to Mac's or Joe's. Joe's is the one that sent me the Fabric Samples Brochure, after I contacted them requesting pictures. Mac's siad the same thing when I contacted them. Only pictures they have is in the Fabirc Samples Brochure. Thanks
Old 08-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #7
DavidG

I posted your question on the V8 Club website in case someone out there has firsthand experience. I'll pass on any responses that occur.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:33 AM   #8
T Scott

Cartouch upholstery guy is Dave Trank. [email protected]
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
Deuce-Addict

There is a '32 roadster in this link, am assuming a Cartouche interior...

https://allstarupholsterymn.com/cartouche/
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
DavidG

That's a nice looking interior and very close to an original in terms of the pleat count and stitch pattern on the door trim panels, assuming that the pleats extend all the way down the front of the bottom cushion. For those interested in strict originality, the hinges on the door pocket flaps are a bit too wide and while I like the color of the vinyl in general terms, it is neither that of a standard (black/brown) or that of a deluxe (copra drab) by a mile and given the roadster in the photo is the deluxe version, the seat cushions were originally leather, not vinyl (artificial leather). I wonder if they offer color alternatives?
Old 08-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #11
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
i posted your question on the v8 club website in case someone out there has firsthand experience. I'll pass on any responses that occur.
thank you!
Old 08-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #12
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott View Post
Cartouch upholstery guy is Dave Trank. [email protected]
Thanks! I copied/pasted his addy, and sent him my question(s).
Old 08-09-2021, 12:54 AM   #13
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
That's a nice looking interior and very close to an original in terms of the pleat count and stitch pattern on the door trim panels, assuming that the pleats extend all the way down the front of the bottom cushion. For those interested in strict originality, the hinges on the door pocket flaps are a bit too wide and while I like the color of the vinyl in general terms, it is neither that of a standard (black/brown) or that of a deluxe (copra drab) by a mile and given the roadster in the photo is the deluxe version, the seat cushions were originally leather, not vinyl (artificial leather). I wonder if they offer color alternatives?
Ford vinyl=leatherette, right? I've read it was used for rumble seats (as a matter of fact, I've got one that came w/my '33 3w so dried up and crumpled but complete w/out damage.) The roadsters cabrios & coupes used this early vinyl for weather factor(s), and if ordered, leather =interior. Corrections welcomed! (leatherette doesn't soak up the rain; doesn't soak up the maintenance 'soap either!)
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #14
alumcantandthd

DaveG. Has anyone on the V-8 site contacted you yet on the interior pictures request?

I've sent two emails to Dave Trank, that T Scott gave me the addy to. No response back.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #15
DavidG

Not a peep so far.

What are you hoping for beyond those photos in the link provided by Deuce-Addict in #9 above? Except for the skinny package tray behind the front seat there's nothing more to see.

Last edited by DavidG; 08-11-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #16
alumcantandthd

Skinny package tray? I'm not sure I fully understand, or picture what you mean?

So that IS, or is THAT a complete Cartouche Roadster interior kit in #9 above? THAT is what it all will look like the way that Cartouche will send it to you?

So the interior 'kit' consists of, two kick panels, two door panels, and,,,,, a 1 piece, or 3 piece panel that goes around beside and behind the seat from driver's side door post to the passenger side door post, from floor to the top of the body. And the full seat cover? Plus are there instructions or suggestions how to install?
Old 08-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #17
DavidG

There's also the two trim panels inside the B pillars at the ends of the two cushions and the area behind the seat and over the wood belt rail consists of four pieces, at least on an original roadster. Last, but not least is the large pressed cardboard panel that covers the back of the springs of the seat back which is only visible through the trunk or rumble seat compartment. Whether Cartouche furnishes that latter panel, the details of what they provide for behind the seat, and instructions is best posed to them
Old 08-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #18
alumcantandthd

DavidG ANYbody get back to you yet from the V-8 club on those interior pictures?

Does ANYbody out there know how to get it touch 'directly' with Cartouche? Please?

I google "Cartouche" and get directed to MAC's, Ecklers, Joe's, etc. As I have stated above, when contacting those vendors, I get a vague 'run-a-round', or a no reply at all, when requesting pictures of what all the 'kit' consists of, and what it looks like.

I don't understand why a vendor/company want's you to send them 4 figures for basically a description and a generic picture? That to me is a "pig in a poke".
Old 08-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #19
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumcantandthd View Post
DavidG ANYbody get back to you yet from the V-8 club on those interior pictures?

Does ANYbody out there know how to get it touch 'directly' with Cartouche? Please?

I google "Cartouche" and get directed to MAC's, Ecklers, Joe's, etc. As I have stated above, when contacting those vendors, I get a vague 'run-a-round', or a no reply at all, when requesting pictures of what all the 'kit' consists of, and what it looks like.

I don't understand why a vendor/company want's you to send them 4 figures for basically a description and a generic picture? That to me is a "pig in a poke".

Have you called "either" supplier and asked them for a "further" contact number?? OR (and I know THIS is a long shot, given the two above listed suppliers) have you asked one of their sales people to supply the answers you are requiring????
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #20
Krylon32

I'm not a restorer but in the past I have taken pictures of what I want the interior to look like along with the material I want to my local upholstery shop and had him recreate it. Maybe that's an alternative?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #21
DavidG

There's been nothing yet on the V8 Club web site forum.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #22
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Have you called "either" supplier and asked them for a "further" contact number?? OR (and I know THIS is a long shot, given the two above listed suppliers) have you asked one of their sales people to supply the answers you are requiring????
There are 'no' other sales people or another phone #! It's who/whom ever picks up the phone is the "Sales" person I have to talk to! I am told, "the only pictures are in the brochure" (Final answer)

I have been in a weekly bakc and forth with that Dave Tank at Eckers. (refered to me above) He told me they only sold 3 of those kits in the past couple of years, and the ONLY picture they have,,,,, "are in the brochure". I asked if he could give me the names of the people he sold the kits to. NO! Week later I asked if he could contact the people he sold the kits to, and ask if they would send me pictures. He would 'see' about it. Week later I asked if he was able to contact any of the people that purchased the '32 kits. I am working on it. So,,,,,,,,.

There HAS to be a way to contact Cartouche directly! Somebody out there know how. They make all these kits for Ford, GM, and some MoPar! These 'vendors' contact Cartouche to order kits to list in their catalogs. It's like they are some great big "secret'' organization that only a certain few can talk with them! I also don't understand why the 'vendors' won't send pictures of their product when asked?
Old 08-30-2021, 08:11 PM   #23
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I'm not a restorer but in the past I have taken pictures of what I want the interior to look like along with the material I want to my local upholstery shop and had him recreate it. Maybe that's an alternative?
Thanks for the suggestion. But my 'pockets are not that deep'. Do do what you suggested upholstery shops have quoted a high 4 figures or a low 5 figures, just for a Roadster!

Plus they can NOT go off a picture unless they have ALL the measurements before hand.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:12 PM   #24
alumcantandthd

Quote:
There's been nothing yet on the V8 Club web site forum.
(sigh)

Thanks for asking.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #25
Krylon32

Your restored deuce roadster deserves the best. Been doing this over 50 years and good upholstery has always been pricey. Good paint and fit plus nice upholstery can make an average car standout.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:41 PM   #26
DavidG

Have you tried calling All Star Upholstery, as an installer of Cartouche upholstery, referenced in #9 above? Certainly than can at least tell you what the kit includes or not given their experience as evidenced by their photos of a '32 roadster interior.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:42 PM   #27
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Have you tried calling All Star Upholstery, as an installer of Cartouche upholstery, referenced in #9 above? Certainly than can at least tell you what the kit includes or not given their experience as evidenced by their photos of a '32 roadster interior.
Yes Sir, I have! I have contacted every one Cartouche listed, one way or another, when googled "Cartouche Upholstery".

Something is wrong with that guy up there. That is 'not' a upholstery shop! With the size of his ego, it's a 'airport'!

Checked out his web site, especially the section listing the Cartouche Interiors.

Filled out the "Contact Information" form, sent an inquirey on requesting pictures and what all the kit included, etc, before I purchased an interior 'kit'. Couple of days went by, no response, sent another inquirey. Few hours later receive a reply;
I don't sell kits Directly below the "I don't sell kits" "Get Outlook for Android" was printed
The "Outlook for Android" was in blue and went from the mouse 'arrow' to the 'pointed finger'. So since 'we' were talking about Cartouche Upholstery pictures, he had listed another source for me to check!

Clicked on the Get Outlook for Android, as I thought he requested me to, the computer went haywire! Making all sorts of "warning" sounds and to call the number listed! Wifey came in and several hours later straightened out the computer. She even stated, why would a upholstery shop deliberately send out a virus on a upholstery request, unless my interior picture question pissed him off. (?)

Called up there Monday asking why he sent the virus and about the cartouche section listed on his web site. Vehemently denied everything. Very Rude. Kept constantly talking over me. I am not going to get into the phone conversation details.

So, "if" it is going to be 'this' much of a problem to get upholstery, or cost 1/2 a years Agent Orange disability pay? I will just 'do without'! I'll just 'rattle can' brown or tan the silver Fat Mat' sound deadening material, find a NOS Allstate, or Riverside seat cover, and be done with it! Then hope the top won't be this much of a problem!

THANK YOU for everyone's help/suggestions!
Old 08-31-2021, 12:47 PM   #28
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Your restored deuce roadster deserves the best. Been doing this over 50 years and good upholstery has always been pricey. Good paint and fit plus nice upholstery can make an average car standout.
Thanks for the suggestion. When and if I ever win the lottery, I will be able afford a high 4 or low 5 digit interior, and won't be afraid to sit on it either! lol
Old 08-31-2021, 12:48 PM   #29
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Yes Sir, I have! I have contacted every one Cartouche listed, one way or another, when googled "Cartouche Upholstery".

Something is wrong with that guy up there. That is 'not' a upholstery shop! With the size of his ego, it's a 'airport'!

Checked out his web site, especially the section listing the Cartouche Interiors.

Filled out the "Contact Information" form, sent an inquirey on requesting pictures and what all the kit included, etc, before I purchased an interior 'kit'. Couple of days went by, no response, sent another inquirey. Few hours later receive a reply;
I don't sell kits Directly below the "I don't sell kits" "Get Outlook for Android" was printed
The "Outlook for Android" was in blue and went from the mouse 'arrow' to the 'pointed finger'. So since 'we' were talking about Cartouche Upholstery pictures, he had listed another source for me to check!

Clicked on the Get Outlook for Android, as I thought he requested me to, the computer went haywire! Making all sorts of "warning" sounds and to call the number listed! Wifey came in and several hours later straightened out the computer. She even stated, why would a upholstery shop deliberately send out a virus on a upholstery request, unless my interior picture question pissed him off. (?)

Called up there Monday asking why he sent the virus and about the cartouche section listed on his web site. Vehemently denied everything. Very Rude. Kept constantly talking over me. I am not going to get into the phone conversation details.

So, "if" it is going to be 'this' much of a problem to get upholstery, or cost 1/2 a years Agent Orange disability pay? I will just 'do without'! I'll just 'rattle can' brown or tan the silver Fat Mat' sound deadening material, find a NOS Allstate, or Riverside seat cover, and be done with it! Then hope the top won't be this much of a problem!

THANK YOU for everyone's help/suggestions!
Old 09-01-2021, 12:53 AM   #30
highbeams

Surely local upholstery businesses ca and will accommodate.

Fahget about these 'kit' "suppliers".

What do you need: seat cover, door panels, kick panels?

This isn't brain surgery here.

Thank you.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #31
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbeams View Post
Surely local upholstery businesses ca and will accommodate.

Fahget about these 'kit' "suppliers".

What do you need: seat cover, door panels, kick panels?

This isn't brain surgery here.

Thank you.
I would like to get the entire interior. Kick panels, door panels, seat, plus, the part that goes beside and behind the seat. Wouldn't mind the trunk too.

The interior part beside and behind the seat, I do not know what it is supposed to look like, how many pieces it includes, or how it fastens.
What interior pictures I have found, are taken of the whole inside. (ex) opne the door and take a picture. 'Not' each piece and how if mounts, individual pictures.
So for me, a 'complete' original looking kit is the best, least expensive way for me to go.

There are no reputable automotive upholstery shops here locally.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #32
rockfla

Quote:
I would like to get the entire interior. Kick panels, door panels, seat, plus, the part that goes beside and behind the seat. Wouldn't mind the trunk too.

The interior part beside and behind the seat, I do not know what it is supposed to look like, how many pieces it includes, or how it fastens.
What interior pictures I have found, are taken of the whole inside. (ex) opne the door and take a picture. 'Not' each piece and how if mounts, individual pictures.
So for me, a 'complete' original looking kit is the best, least expensive way for me to go.

There are no reputable automotive upholstery shops here locally.

Thanks.
AND you do not want to pay for a "reputable" shop right???? OR individual to do it???? AS you also said "I don't have deep pockets!"

Starting to Remind me of the sign "Pick one" Fast, Cheap OR Good? and the associated results attached to the three!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 09-01-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #33
VeryTangled

Quote:
There are no reputable automotive upholstery shops here locally. Thanks.
Just spitballing here, but the last upholstery shop I used was in the business park near the county airport. They were doing boats, planes, cars & bikes.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #34
highbeams

Quote:
AND you do not want to pay for a "reputable" shop right???? OR individual to do it???? AS you also said "I don't have deep pockets!"

Starting to Remind me of the sign "Pick one" Fast, Cheap OR Good? and the associated results attached to the three!!!
Do you have a EFV8Club roster of members? Try that. '32 rdstr members.(I've contacted people regarding questions I had. All but one were helpful.

That's why our phone numbers are in there. You'll 'meet' some new friends too.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #35
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Do you have a EFV8Club roster of members? Try that. '32 rdstr members.(I've contacted people regarding questions I had. All but one were helpful.

No, no roster or list. I have tried several times to register on the V-8 forums. Long story short. It won't let me in. Super secret entrance code required.

V-8 member on this thread has posted on the V-8 forum for me, asking for Deuce Roadster Cartouche pictures. No one has replied to his posted question.

Do 'you' know of any Deuce Roaster V-8 forum members?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #36
rockfla

Quote:
No, no roster or list. I have tried several times to register on the V-8 forums. Long story short. It won't let me in. Super secret entrance code required.

V-8 member on this thread has posted on the V-8 forum for me, asking for Deuce Roadster Cartouche pictures. No one has replied to his posted question.

Thanks

You are a EFV8 club member, right??? That is the main requirement to be on the EFV8 web page. I don't recall signing up on the page being THAT difficult.....is there a specific part of the sign up that you remember having trouble with??? May I/we can help you with that!! IF memory serves me you have to have at least an 8 letter/number combo password (?)
Old 09-02-2021, 08:27 PM   #37
highbeams

Quote:

Put a seat in it; enjoy the car as it is while your pockets get deeper, i.e., start your priority car fund til the amount is ripe for the picking.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #38
TJ

Quote:

Thanks
I can't understand why you cannot register on the Early Ford V-8 Club website. It is a very simple process. You don't even have to be a member of the V-8 Club itself to use the website. Often new people come to the site for information and they are not Club members. Tell us what the problem is in trying to register.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #39
Krylon32

I had my first 32 roadster interior. trunk and top done back in 1972. Did the interior and trunk in very high grade Naugahyde and the top with Hartz type cloth. It was around a thousand dollars back then. I was fortunate to have had a good local shop.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #40
rockfla

I wonder IF???

'IF' the cartouche' interior is 70% or 80% of a complete interior and it meets the "details" that DavidG has mentioned in a couple of his previous post (I.E pleats on the seat following trough all the way down the front edge)........IF the thought of going ahead and ordering and installing what IS in the kit and "MAYBE" having an Interior shop fill in the missing pieces and matching the cartouche' kit????? You wouldn't even have to do that right off the bat, you could wait awhile and get healed up financially BEFORE spend more money at a "reputable" shop!!!! Based on his stated "willing to do" and "NOT willing to do/pay for" I don't see any other logical option!!!!
Old 09-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #41
alumcantandthd

Quote:
You are a EFV8 club member, right??? That is the main requirement to be on the EFV8 web page. I don't recall signing up on the page being THAT difficult.....is there a specific part of the sign up that you remember having trouble with??? May I/we can help you with that!! IF memory serves me you have to have at least an 8 letter/number combo password (?)
I just tried registering, (again) yesterday. This time, instead of 'rejecting' my application form, nothing happened. Filled out the form again. Same thing, nothing happened. I even left the page up all night. Still there the next day.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #42
alumcantandthd

In the archives, there was more on the subject of me not being able to register on the forums
Old 09-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #43
alumcantandthd

Quote:
I wonder IF???

'IF' the cartouche' interior is 70% or 80% of a complete interior and it meets the "details" that DavidG has mentioned in a couple of his previous post (I.E pleats on the seat following trough all the way down the front edge)........IF the thought of going ahead and ordering and installing what IS in the kit and "MAYBE" having an Interior shop fill in the missing pieces and matching the cartouche' kit????? You wouldn't even have to do that right off the bat, you could wait awhile and get healed up financially BEFORE spend more money at a "reputable" shop!!!! Based on his stated "willing to do" and "NOT willing to do/pay for" I don't see any other logical option!!!!
Update: I "finally" was able to get some fairly decent pictures of the "Deluxe Roadster" upholstery 'kit' straight from Cartouche!!

You guys are right! What was in the pictures they sent me does NOT resemble ANY of the pictures that is in the Samples Brochure!!! IHO, what I am seeing in their pictures, is identical to the so called 'custom fit' seat covers JC Whitney sold in the 1970's!!! Two pieces of some kind of 3rd world country made vinyl GLUED, (not sewn) to a stiff paper bag backing!

I'm going to go over to the HAMB site, and ask if there is/was anybody that bought a Roadster body that happen to have the original interior in it,. then took it out.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #44
deuce lover

You and about 20 others.Good luck on that one.