Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
flash9376

Default steering wheel play

I've recently been tooling around with the steering on my '30 tudor sedan. There was always a bit of play in the steering wheel, about 2-3 inches, so i set about trying to decrease it as much as possible. After I pulled the steering box and readjusted everything, I still have the same amount of play. When the box was off the car, I had someone hold the pitman arm and there seemed to be no play. Other than the play in the wheel, the car steers great, very easy to turn, no binding, etc. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything else I could look for to fix the play, worn worm gear, drag link problems, etc. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and its a 2 tooth steering box.

Also, while im on the topic of steering boxes, does anyone know how to stop it from leaking other than bore out the sector housing and but in needle bearings grease fittings? Mine leaks out the end of the sector housing where the pitman arm attaches, drives me nuts. Thanks.

Last edited by flash9376; 06-23-2012 at 08:18 PM.
flash9376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
28ACoupe

Default Re: steering wheel play

When was the last time you checked all the balls and such at the various connections in your steering system? When I rebuilt the steering on the 28, it went from having about 4" of play to zero when centered and was easy to turn again.

If you do decide to replace the balls, use the weld in, not the bolt in and make absolutely sure you get the height set right or your steering will not work correctly.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
columbiA

When I rebuilt my 2-tooth box,I installed needle brgs & had sector hsg bored out for a modern lip seal.That,along with the lower plate with the tube that extends above the oil level has resulted in a steering gear that hasnt leaked oil in 13,000 miles.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I've used the thin O-ring and thin flat washer, which is installed before mounting the box to the frame. That stopped the leak from the sector shaft.

For excess steering wheel play, be sure the box to frame mounting bolts and pitman arm bolt are TIGHT.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Patrick L.

Got to ask.. How have you adjusted the box ?? The 2 tooth box has 4 adjustments which should be done in a certain order.. The best place to find this is in the service bulletins.. The free-play should be down in the 1-1.5 " range..
All the other STUFF that the fellas mentioned needs to be checked also,, right from the tightness of the pitman arm to the drag link, tie-rods, king pins and wheel bearings..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Gary/IA

[QUOTE=flash9376;448701] When the box was off the car, I had someone hold the pitman arm and there seemed to be no play.

As others have stated, check that all bolts are tight. I experienced the same problem recently and inspected all joints visually and by touch as someone rocked the steering wheel. I looked very closely and felt the pitman arm joint, I could not detect any movement. I finally removed the cotter key on the pitman arm bolt and put a wrench on it (as I should have done at the start). Guess what?
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

pitman arm bolt was loose..................
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
1928Pickuppain

See my wheel has alot of play i know my balls are worn but at th same time i know theres somthign wrong in the box becouse when i turn the wheel the wheel lifts and lowers as i turn it as if i need to take out the end play how do i do this on a 7 tooth box?
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
See my wheel has alot of play i know my balls are worn but at th same time i know theres somthign wrong in the box becouse when i turn the wheel the wheel lifts and lowers as i turn it as if i need to take out the end play how do i do this on a 7 tooth box?
You'll need to remove the 4 bolts on the bottom end plate and remove some shims. If that won't fix the end play, then you'll need some new parts, or maybe you can find a shim for the worm gear inside the box.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
KGBnut

You might also want to check to ensure that your steering wheel is properly centered. You have the least amount of play in the center. I just had my steering box rebuilt and was surprised by the play...then I realized that my wheel was about 120 degrees off center. If I center the wheel the play is gone...but I am turning to the right.

There is evidence the car was struck in the front end many years ago. I think something got bent.

Unfortunately, there is no adjustment on the drag-link for centering the wheel. Pop and I have some ideas and will get it fixed.

Count the number of turns lock-to-lock (it should be about three) and find the center.

Ken
Old 06-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
western77

KBGnut, I had the same problem. It was the steering spindle double arm was bent out of shape. Replaced that and all is good. JB
western77 is offline   Reply With Quote