Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Reviving a proper six

Well, winter is coming on and most of my jailbar fleet is under control so my mind wanders into what is next. I have found I almost never drive my tonner panel, so I decided to sell it to a very nice young man who bought my '47 2 ton. He lives in N. Seattle and is an arborist. He has really enjoyed the stakebed for hauling logs , gear etc. He is 31 and has lots of energy. A few years back I bough a nice bunch of flathead fords from the son in law of a ford guy. In the lot was an H six, very complete from a panel truck that got wrecked soon after a restoration. Years ago I tyried to start the six, but the ring gear was trashed, and I couldn't get spark and I had many other projects going on. I found the ring gear guru and he has the H gear made on occasion, so I ordered one. Shrunk it on this morning. Well I am waiting for drawings on the next project in the wood shop, so today I replaced the condensor and had spark. Went to 12 v with a bosch blue. Took almost all day dealing with spark, carb, solenoid, switches etc, but by 4:00 was running nicely. Short runs, no coolant, but smooth. No real plans for it but..... I do have a 46 tonner PU from the dry side of the mountains, had no bed BUT had a title but had no bed or running boards or engine.. I also have a 47 from the rainy side but the bed was good, or good enough. Cab might look ok to rust-belters, but not me. I currently have the west side bed on the east side cab/chassis. Matching green, needs engine. OK, brakes etc. This could take a while....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fh6-1.jpg (154.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg fh6-2.jpg (155.8 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg fh6-4.jpg (164.0 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg eddies engines on the '92.jpg (78.7 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg Oscar at home.jpg (68.9 KB, 495 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
mercman from oz

Default Re: Reviving a proper six

GB SISSON Reviving a proper six in a 1946 Ford Tonner
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:37 AM   #3
Tinker

The flat six is a good engine. The later version the ohv 215/223 overhead was called the mileage maker to the flathead and yblock. Bullet proof dependable motors.

Cool Project.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:28 AM   #4
Mart

Hey, GB, that looks like a great start to a bit of winter tinkerin'. Looking forward to how this one turns out.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

There's something compelling about the big stuff !
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #6
mfirth

My first car was a 50 Ford 6 cyl. with o/d tranny. Quick, reliable & at times a V8 beater. Neat motors/engines flatheads ......etc.
Always enjoy your stuff G B; thanks !
mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
cas3

You are correct, that cab looks good to those of us living in the swamp
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
GB SISSON

I titled the thread as such, because my last two projects were sixes as well. The Junior sized cummins in my tonner PU and then the Toyota landcruiser six in my 'RPU' thing. Liking that this is a flathead ford. After some light running this morning I saw some pretty good compression readings. 121, 123, 120, 120, 122, 115. Oil pressure was showing 50 at fast idle, oil cold. Should there be a light spring on thje bendix? Seems I run across them like that sometimes on V8s. I'm being very protective of my new ring gear as they are scarce and expensive. Thanks.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 10-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
Newc

Noticed that the Tonner rear has those odd 6 lug Ford truck rims. I have two w tires, but they are the TRUE split rims. A '72 earlier rear diff [8 lug] will fit. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:00 PM   #10
GB SISSON

But they are 5 lug on 6 7/8. The ford tonners from '38-'47 used a five lug single type wheel on all four corners, on a 6 7/8 center and had hubcap clips. You saying I can mount a hub from a pre-72 on my rear axle and go seemlessly to a standard 8 lug wheel????
Old 10-13-2021, 09:38 PM   #11
PeteVS

That's some pile of iron you dragged home!
Old 10-13-2021, 11:42 PM   #12
Newc

Hi; No- I replace the entire diffs with a 8 lug '72 and older. There are some 8 lug drums that will fit that '47 axle ['48 thru say 52?] Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
That's some pile of iron you dragged home!
Specially when you consider they were stored in a nice dry metal building less than 2 miles from me. I was told that the PO sold his home and shop, bought a big sailboat and today is living in places such as Tahiti. He had a lot of blocks to get rid of and junked 13 of them and these are the ones he kept. Eventually he gave them to his son in law, a decidedly tri-five chevy guy and a professional mechanic. Upon visual inspection I found the guy knew what to throw away and what to keep. Perhaps best of all is he considered all flatheads as 'boat anchors' (gasp) and the price reflected that. That complete 59ab and the six have proven to be solid, good running engines.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #14
paul2748

Do you have a part number of the Bosch coil?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:05 PM   #15
GB SISSON

I can look it up, but I bet someone beats me to it. Lets just say that the day after I brought this thing back to life I went down in the morning, pulled the choke, pumped the throttle twice and the very instant I hit the start button it roared to life. I have tinkered with old engines of all types for over 50 years. Cars and trucks, tractors, outboards, antique marine and stationary engines, you name it. To me a hot spark trumps all. If the mixture is too rich, the engine starts and smokes black. If the mixture is too lean, it starts and runs poorly, missing and sputtering. The bosch blue and probably the other brands of 'super coils', produce the kind of spark I like. Fat blue spark and audible and jumps like 3/8" when all is good. Edit: Looked it up. Looks like they are all made in Brazil now, but according to a site called 'Bus Depot'there are ones made in Brazil for the German market, and others for the Brazilian market. They sell the ones for the German market and at 49.95. I got mine on amazon. The box mine came in has a number of 9 220 081 083

Last edited by GB SISSON; 10-14-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:49 PM   #16
Tinker

I'm guessing you are looking to make a good solid motor. The split fenton exhaust manifolds or very rare, almost impossible and probably not worth any gains. Well you can split the exhaust if you can weld cast iron also. It sounds good, but not sure it makes it moves down the road any better.

Not much for the flat 6s or the 223, but just thought I'd add.
https://cliffordperformance.net/store

Last edited by Tinker; 10-14-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:27 AM   #17
mercman from oz

My friend bought this 1942 Ford Super Deluxe Tudor Sedan powered by the 90 HP Six, and drove it over 4000 trouble free miles before shipping the car to Australia. Nothing wrong with these Ford 6 Cylinder Engines. They are under rated.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:40 AM   #18
mfirth

They sure are under rated as is the Milage Maker I block 6.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:04 AM   #19
GB SISSON

I notice in the '42 photo the battery sits on the left. Does the G six have the starter on that side? Yesterday I made a heavy wooden cradle with engine mounts. It is long enough to build transmission mounts at the rear. I have the 11" clutch and stamped steel BH and a 4 speed from a '49-50 F3. The tranny was on a V8. Will this bolt right up?
Old 10-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #20
38 coupe

You need the six cylinder bell housing, they are different from the V8 units. The transmission is the same on the later H and M series six cylinders (you may hear different but only the G series had different transmission cases). The six bell should be dirt cheap, everyone seems to want the V8 just for the exhaust sound.

You should build a flathead Ford six powered jailbar tonner, you will enjoy it. Also, I really like Ford six cylinders...
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:12 PM   #21
mercman from oz

Another shot of my friends 1942 Ford Super Deluxe Tudor Sedan powered by the 90 HP Six, showing the location of the Battery.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:45 PM   #22
cas3

Just for fun here, in about 1975 I got permission to get my grandfathers 50 ford tudor, 6, out of the barn and take it home. I was a dumb kid, the motor was stuck, car was rusty, but a free car was ok with me. Once home, we pounded on the pistons with a block of wood until it turned, then, got it to run. Well, it ran, but still to this day I have never seen a car smoke so bad! On the test drive I got about a half mile from home and the smoke coming in thru the floor boards was so bad I had to stick my head out the window to be able to see!!! the whole inside of the car was uninhabitable ! So, it got parked, kid with no money. Years later, dumb kid now has a job, and one day a coworker said he found a rebuilt motor on the street that must have fallen off a truck, and drug it home with his lawn tractor. Wanted me to look at it to try and identify it, you guessed it, the motor for grandpa's car found on the road. A short block, but I had all needed to put it together. drove it for many years, and yeah, that 6 was a good motor

Last edited by cas3; 10-15-2021 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-16-2021, 06:42 AM   #23
mfirth

Not only good, but, highly underrated.....
Old 10-18-2021, 10:24 PM   #24
GB SISSON

I would love to give a report on my progress, but my wife has been on the mainland and my computer screen has shifted off to the right and she fixed it last time. I only see the left half of the fordbarn posts, but lookee here, it looks like I do see the whole box when I respond! Details to follow. This six has been growing on me.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:40 PM   #25
cas3

Are you sure there is not more "adult beverages" while she is gone, which may wipe out half the screen?
Old 10-18-2021, 11:03 PM   #26
Tinker

Nice motor Mercman. Really a flat 6 and a v8 are only a few hp apart stock. You can certainly take v8 a lot further with available aftermaket options and design. They are both flatheads and created in the same timeframe. So.

Cas... I can fix a computer usually, not sure about GB on the computer thing... personally, I don't drink hard liquor. Not that one has to do with the other. All in good fun dude.

GB it'll be fun to see what you come with over time.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-19-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:59 AM   #27
flatford8

Gary.......you gotta open both eyes man!!!!......LOL........ Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:55 AM   #28
mercman from oz

1942 Ford Super Deluxe Tudor Sedan with the 90 HP Six driving through the Natchez Trace Parkway. What a super great reliable, trouble free car with the Flathead Six. An absolute joy to drive.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #29
5851a

Did you have the starter rebuilt and changed to 12V? You can use the 6V on 12 for many years but they seem to hit the ring gear a little harder.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #30
GB SISSON

Hey guys, I have tried the shutting one eye and a few other things to no avail. It's just me, the dog, the cat, ten hens and my box of heart healthy red wine. As for the 226, I am running the starter as is. So far it's been very kind to my new ring gear. This six can really idle down and shows 19 inches vacuum. I installed the clutch yesterday and will get the 1/2 bellhousing on today. It is stamped steel. Will a 4 speed off of a '49 pickup with V8 bolt right up to it?
Old 10-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #31
51504bat

Don't know about the sixes but on the V-8's a stamped steel half bell won't let you use an 11 inch clutch. Sure you've already confirmed fitment but I throw this out just in case. As always, another great project to follow along.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #32
38 coupe

The 4 speed from the 49 pickup will bolt right on the 6 cylinder 1/2 bell. If the trans is from a half ton rear transmission mount will need to be swapped for a larger truck mount to fit your tonner cross member.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #33
GB SISSON

This work? https://youtu.be/Jm7Re6Kt594
Old 10-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #34
cas3

The link says "video unavailable , private "
Old 10-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #35
GB SISSON

hmmmm, we'll see about that.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:32 PM   #36
GB SISSON

This? https://youtu.be/Jm7Re6Kt594
Old 10-19-2021, 11:39 PM   #37
GB SISSON

OR ?? https://youtu.be/Jm7Re6Kt594
Old 10-19-2021, 11:55 PM   #38
GB SISSON

Orr https://youtu.be/Jm7Re6Kt594 rrrr?

Last edited by GB SISSON; 10-20-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:56 PM   #39
GB SISSON

never mind.......I give up

Last edited by GB SISSON; 10-20-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:15 AM   #40
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
never mind.......I give up
Gotta love technology. I expect it to work but it usually fails, if it works at all. If I had a car that was as reliable as my internet it would have gone to the crusher long ago. I don't understand why something that has no moving parts can wear out and fails so frequently.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:47 PM   #41
Tinker

Gm is that a video you uploaded? If it's someone else's, they may have uploaded to be linked only (private) and then has now deleted it.

On youtube you can post a few ways.

Here is one I did... it is not publicly posted. Only way to see it is from a link...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVnPdRjCU4

Last edited by Tinker; 10-20-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:04 PM   #42
cas3

Tomcarman has a good point. the most reliable thing I have ever owned is a model A ford. Sorry, i know this is a v8 hangout, but the A's are a very simple and reliable contraption compared to my computer.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:11 PM   #43
Tinker

Good point Cas. It's not a v8 hangout. It's a ford "flathead" hangout on the 32-53 forum. Also there is a model a forum here too. Also the later y-block ohv section too. The first ford sold ohv motor was the 215 straight 6 in 1953. Later that motor turned into the 223.

Ford made flathead straight 6s and 4 bangers after 32 also. Not just v8s. It's okay to drawn knowledge from all the sections too. Nothing to fear from anyone about the flat6. V8's will always be king here.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-21-2021 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #44
GB SISSON

Of course I can only see half of my screen... I will check back tomorrow if/when my wife can fix it. Loving the time I have spent with this smooth running six.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:10 PM   #45
cas3

Cover one eye, maybe then see it all ?
Old 10-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #46
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Of course I can only see half of my screen... I will check back tomorrow if/when my wife can fix it. Loving the time I have spent with this smooth running six.
I usually reboot the system when something like this happens; it fixes it most of the time.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #47
GB SISSON

Finally got it figured out! Well, the half-screen part. My 40 yr old stepson fixed that. Maybe tomorrow we unlock the private video. No big deal though... It's a flathead six at a slow idle for a minute and eight seconds. There IS a guy on youtube with a turbo-charged 226 flathead ford six engine. Looks like he built a 3 carb intake into the system in the later of 3 parts. Now that is impressive!
Old 10-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #48
GB SISSON

Ok, stepson fixed the private thing too. It always worked on my computer, but now it should work on yours too. Last year I stole the air cleaner off the six to use on my cummins conversion in my 47 tonner pu. Now I stole it back because it seems to be an unusual mounting with a side bolt etc. Does the six carb have the same clamping arrangement as an 8ba carb? I need to find an oil bath for my turbo, but I'm sure the V8 version is much easier to find. Thanks
Old 10-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #49
38 coupe

The six cylinder carbs use a smaller diameter clamp diameter than the V8 carbs. I haven't compared Ford carbs and air cleaners to "brand X" stuff, but that may be a good place to look for your turbo air cleaner needs.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #50
GB SISSON

Thanks, I have a friend and neighbor who has about 20 brand 'C' trucks on his place. About 1/2 are runners, all are between '47 and '57, so should be plenty of oil baths. He is on vacation right now. He and his wife are driving their bone stock '65 impala ss to the East Coast. It is a bronze color with Wa plates, in case anyone should encounter them.