Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
Birchwood

Default Tudor body bracing

I am looking for advice on the proper way to remove a tudor body.. I have a 2 post lift... I need to remove the whole body and replace the sub frame. The passenger side is the worst but I have the frame so I might as well replace it all including the cowl supports..

I was wondering where to place bracing for the best support. The sub rail on passenger side is pretty much gone from rear of door to the back of the body. I think I can double up some 2x4s and place on my lift arms and slowly lift it off and roll the frame. I was going to use 1 inch square tubing and tack it to the body for bracing but was wondering where the best place to tack it in would be for lifting and should I leave the doors on or off.

Thanks
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Tudor body bracing

I doubled 2x6 went though the quarter windows, double 2x6 through the door Windows, a spreader bar between them both sides and lifting eyes in the middle of the spreaders, two chain falls. I would leave the doors on until your finished, you may not enough strength above the doors. The tops of the frame needs to be flat and the bottom of the sub frame needs to be flat. I made a body dolly 4 ft x 6ft 3/4 plywood top, 2x12 sides and 8 in casters, I could then move the body even up a set of ramp into my pickup. With your two post pad the arms and put them through the window openings, my set up was a little wiggly but was safe working under the body when it was up in the air.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
Birchwood

Default Re: Tudor body bracing

Thanks, sounds good, I didnt know if those areas would support the weight without damaging the window openings. But that would be the quickest way
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote