Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
jerryt

Default wheel bearings and seals

I took apart the front brakes on my 1926 Ford Model T. I discovered the grease needed to be repacked on the front bearing. I assume the larger bearing also needs to be replaced. But I don't know what bearings and seals to buy. It is a dropped front axle on my truck. The dust cap is a screw on. My question is does anyone have an idea on bearings and seals I need. Or can I just repack the front bearing and rear bearing? The wheels didn't make any noise while spinning.Any ideas?
Thanks
Jerry
jerryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: wheel bearings and seals

Since it is unknown what you really have, clean the bearings and seals and see if they are marked with any part #s and go from there. There is no way we can guess what you have. If things are not worn you can just repack the bearings and have fun with the car. Bearings and seals can be gotten with dimension identification if need be.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
redmodelt

Bearing are inner, next to the spindles and outer, next to the nut. 1928 -1948 Ford passenger cars used the same bearings. 1935-48 passenger cars had seals, before that did not. 1928-48 bearings are easier to find. You need to start cleaning and inspecting before you run out and buy bearings. You might be able to bearings and seals from NAPA auto parts if you have one close, otherwise you will need to order them. Right now because it has front brakes installed, and without going back and re-reading all your post, am making a guess on this.

Best bet is as J Franklin suggested, if the bearings are bad, check the bearing and race/cup numbers, and use them to order by.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Crankster

If they are not worn excessively or fretted they can safely be reused. Correctly fitted wheel bearings can last a really long time, and they may even be better than what you can buy today.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
jerryt

Thanks for all the information. I think I will take the advice of just repacking them. Do I just pry off the seal ? I have read other posts to take off inner bearings and tap out the rear seal. Hope there is a part number on bearing or seal at least.
Thanks
Jerry
jerryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:11 AM   #6
JoeBauer

What kind of front brakes do you have?
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
rotorwrench

A photo of the axle and spindle would go a long way toward identification. As was mentioned, later Ford stuff is likely but not certain without a photo.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote