Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
34FordFabricator

Default Why No One Will Buy My Parts

Hi Ford Barn Members,
I would like to know why no one will purchase my parts that I advertise on the Barn. The quality is very high mostly NOS and the prices are very fair as I compaired them to others who sell on the Barn. My honesty and integerity is as high as it gets. I do sell on e-bay as well and have a 100 per cent feedback after 11 years and that is saying something. Would anyone like to comment. I am flexible and would change things if it would help. Most of the parts came from dealerships and I had to give a whole lot to get the parts. That is how I broke them loose. So I just need to get a fair amount for them.
Best Regards,
Bill
34FordFabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Why No One Will Buy My Parts

Your parts that I saw are reasonably priced, in my opinion. Could it be that the specific mid 50's Ford and Merc parts you have are just not "in demand" right now. Folks that need your parts will buy them if they see them. Are any of your parts being reproduced?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

BILL ....................
I don't believe it has anything, personal, to do with you. You either have a part at the price, that a person is willing to pay, or you don't.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
ford1

do you have any 49-50 2 door merc parts?
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Kube

Bill, Those of us who know you, realize quite well that you are a good guy and certainly one that can be trusted to deliver what you promise.
One thing you need to consider in my opinion is a simple and irrefutable law of economics.
That being 'supply and demand'.
While you have some really neat items, the supply (in reality) is either greater than you are estimating (this driving actual value down) and / or the demand is simply not as great as you estimate. That too drives the prices down.
Example? I would be interested in the '34 shock links you recently listed but with little trouble can find them elsewhere for $25 a pair.
Respectfully,
Mike
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Bill, I have also put things up for sale here and some things sell while other things don't. I don't know all the reasons but it may not be you or the parts you are trying to sell. You just need to connect with the right person who needs that part at the right time.
One thing I have noticed is once your ad drops below the first page not as many people will see it. This sometimes happens quickly because you have some people putting up ads for each and every item they are selling instead of grouping similar parts and parts for same year/model vehicle in the same ad. Some folks will post 10-15 ads this way and that practice pushes everyone else's ad down and out of sight very quickly.
I really wish Ryan would set a rule on the classified/swap sections to prevent this type of thing. How about it Ryan....if you read this would you please do something that would require folks to list all their items on the same ad whenever possible rather than placing 10-15 single item ads all at the same time?? Thanks in advance if you can correct this situation!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-26-2011 at 11:06 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
David J

Bill , I have bought a fair amount of stuff from you on epay & a little here . No gripes other than most questions about other stuff I'm looking for go unanswered . That is an issue with many - not just you . I agree with the above about it not being anything personal- just supply & demand - price issues . I also think many of the folks that buy this stuff are like me - they probably already have one or two of the item but buy it anyway so down the road you don't have to say darn it I wish I would have bought that as now I'm out . This method of parts accumulation gives you the ability to pass if you don't like the price . Different if your toy is broken and you want to play with it and you DON'T HAVE any of what you need .Also like stated already some items sell better tham others . How hard is it to sell an NOS 33-34 pitman arm ? Nice aluminum heads ? NOS 33-up steering tube seal and plate ? Nice 33 front crossmember ? Some stuff just sells better . Not to be negative but I have had little or no response to wanted ads myself .Never put a for sale ad on here but I have sold stuff to folks that were looking for parts . I love to buy stuff but selling is a big pain to me . Dunno the answers but I would think the waning interest in absolutely stock cars and the state of the economy are factors in this . Enough rambling and good luck . David J
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
svm99

I've noticed your ads many times, just haven't needed any of your items currently. I do tend to shy away from listings which are continuous in nature, ie. one listing after another, tends to present a "dealer" like situation to the buyer. Also bear in mind us hobbyists are minding our dollars closer than in years past which has tended to soften the market some.
Just my opinions.
Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
GreenMonster48

I've had a tough time selling anything lately. The only time I move anything is when I slash the prices so much I end up taking a bath on it. I've done pretty decent over the last 5-10 years, but this past year it seems like everyone is holding onto their cash. I've got some 40 Ford parts for sale in the classifieds right now. I think they're fairly priced but I get almost no activity at all. I also wish the moderators ran this swap meet the same way they do over at the HAMB. Much more efficient.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Dick

I agree, sales are very slow and demand is fading. I've had best luck with single ads and simple descriptions. I avoid multiple ads also as it seems many are just going around and around. I do like this forum very much.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
jerry grayson

Bill, I would guess that most of the posters on this site are not restorers or guys that are and have been at it for years and just don't need what you are selling. Lots of the posts that I read are from guys that just want to use anything that fits whether it is correct or not, or guys that want to modify or "improve" what Henry made. JMO
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
bobH

I'll offer a comment that has already been alluded to... And, I'm not familiar with you or your parts, so this is simply the experience of a very good friend of mine. My friend was a 'regular' on ebay, he specialized in 32-34 parts, and was/is as straight as they come. His experience (couple years ago) was excellent on ebay - sold everything offered, and usually got very good prices. His experience on the barn was totally the opposite - I don't think he ever had a succesful sale on the barn. He quickly gave up on trying to sell on the barn. So, as someone already posted, it's likely not personal, but just the way it is. Factor in the current economy, and things are simply lousey. And, by the way, I have habitually been an active buyer of 34 parts, to apply to my car. But, lately, there hasn't been sh*t for sale. The auction site is full of crap that has nothing to do with 34's, but somehow when I search for 34 stuff, all this other junk pops up. I've essentially given up.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

I tried grouping them in the beginning, but after the first few sold and I added more it became hard to follow. With varying years and such along with a constant revolving of stuff for sale it is a real hassle and most don't look unless you list the items seperately. I am in the proccess of making a deal for 2 or 3 pickup loads of NOS stuff and will try to list it all in one add. You are correct the search engine on this site has alot to be desired. Rod
Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #14
Ray With

I think the biggest factor is the economy is really bad right now and wont get better untill after elections. Figure that foreclosures are at all time hi as well as the job less and these are things that have to be considered.I hope we will be back on an even keel soon and be able to buy and sell like it use to be.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
Cool Hand Lurker

A few months ago I posted an ad in the "for sale" section of the forum for a 47 Ford. After a while it did sell. I think the only reason it sold was that I also posted in this discussion forum a notice that I had an ad in the "for sale" section and somebody checked out the ad then. But my notice posting was deleted shortly so I assume that was "illegal" for the forum. Too bad because it worked. I don't think anybody would have known about it otherwise unless they check the for sale section daily.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
FL&WVMIKE

BILL .................
Another thought .... On your '33-4 Open car wiper half-moon and gasket. You might do better, if you went ahead and had the half-moon piece chrome plated and offered the whole thing, in a complete kit, along with three polished SS wood screws.
Being that you state, that the half-moon, still needs to be plated, is a turn-off. Also, anyone could make the rubber piece. It might not be as nice as your die cut piece, but it is all covered up anyway.
I'm not being critical, you did ask for thoughts.
I happen to have very good luck in selling NOS Ford parts on Fordbarn. I sell nearly everything that I advertise here. Maybe, my prices are too cheap.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
Frank The Plumber

Don't take it personal, the economy is far worse than any are letting on to. My operations are down about 70% from 2007. This has caused me to moth ball my next project which would have been a 26 hot rodded with a 426 Hemi. I had to cut the body and engine loose to fund school for the kid, I got killed on them too. The guy I sold the engine to sat on it for 6 months thinking he was going to make a killing on it, he lost his home and it went to a storage unit, he didn't pay the rent and the 426 is gone. I had a tear in my eye over this one. I told him I'd buy it back too but for less again, ouch. I just hope the guy who got her knew what she was.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
TonyM

I had a ton of old Cadillac parts. It has taken years to sell it off. I have a little left (still for sale).

But I think the bottom line is lots of time you just got to wait for the right guy to come along.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #19
Charlie ny
BANNED

You'll sell them at Hershey in October. Let it be known right
here on the BARN where you'll be....we will look you up.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #20
Pete F.

Hi Bill
Do you have a pitman arm for a 34 coupe .
Please let me know and also what other parts you might have.
Thanks
Pete
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote