Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
19Fordy

Default NEED HELP! 8BA Distributor Question Points Cam Lobe

This post is a tad long but, I'd appreciate your reading it and offering help and/or or ideas.

I sure hope Forbarners can help me with a problem I am having with the distributor in my stock 1953 Ford 239 V-8 I am using a Mallory dual point distributor. YL 2527501 Series 25.

Here's the situation:

I have a Mallory dual point distributor YL 2527501 Series 25 for a stock 1953 Ford 239 V-8 that had been converted to a Unilite using Mallory kit #558. To install the kit the distributor points cam lobe was removed (per instructions). I now want to convert that same distributor back to a dual point distributor.
How do I now properly reinstall the original dual points cam lobe in its original position on the distributor shaft when the crankshaft timing marks are aligned on the compression stroke of #1 cylinder

Here's pertinent info.

All the attached photos were taken with the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley lined up with the timing cover pointer and the distributor rotor pointing to #1 terminal on that distributor cap
on the compression stroke.

Observations

I notice that when the points cam lobe is tentatively set in place on the shaft so that the small hole on the top of the cam lobe ( see photo 5642b of points cam lobe with pointer) lines up with #1 terminal on cap, the dual points are just about to open as the rubbing block of the points has not yet reached the high point of the lobs.The distributor rotates in a CW direction. Since the factory timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is 2 degree BTC, it makes me think that this that the might be where the points cam should be positioned and reinstalled. This assumes that the little hole in the cam is some type of a location indicator or reference point. you can see this in photos 5655b, 5653b and 5651b. As mentioned earlier, the distributor rotates in clockwise direction.

Final Questions Summary and Requests

I surely would appreciate your help in telling me:

1. How to properly position the point cam lobe on the distributor shaft as it was originally before removal.

2. Proper procedure for pressing on or tappng on the points cam lobe so as not to damage anything the distributor.

3. Can you send me an email 2 photos of an original YL2527501 Series 25 dual points distributor. One photo showing showing the points cam position when engine is firing on TDC compression stroke of #1 cylinder?
A 2nd photo showing the position of the rotor when firing on TDC of #1 cylinder on compression stroke.

4. Is using the old time Sun Distributor Machine the only way of solving my problem? Anyone have one that could do this for me?

Thanks so much. Jim Pullen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5621b.jpg (59.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5642b.jpg (67.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5651b.jpg (57.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5653b.jpg (64.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5655b.jpg (58.7 KB, 23 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: NEED HELP! 8BA Distributor Question Points Cam Lobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
This post is a tad long but, I'd appreciate your reading it and offering help and/or or ideas.

I sure hope Forbarners can help me with a problem I am having with the distributor in my stock 1953 Ford 239 V-8 I am using a Mallory dual point distributor. YL 2527501 Series 25.

Here's the situation:

I have a Mallory dual point distributor YL 2527501 Series 25 for a stock 1953 Ford 239 V-8 that had been converted to a Unilite using Mallory kit #558. To install the kit the distributor points cam lobe was removed (per instructions). I now want to convert that same distributor back to a dual point distributor.
How do I now properly reinstall the original dual points cam lobe in its original position on the distributor shaft when the crankshaft timing marks are aligned on the compression stroke of #1 cylinder

Here's pertinent info.

All the attached photos were taken with the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley lined up with the timing cover pointer and the distributor rotor pointing to #1 terminal on that distributor cap
on the compression stroke.

Observations

I notice that when the points cam lobe is tentatively set in place on the shaft so that the small hole on the top of the cam lobe ( see photo 5642b of points cam lobe with pointer) lines up with #1 terminal on cap, the dual points are just about to open as the rubbing block of the points has not yet reached the high point of the lobs.The distributor rotates in a CW direction. Since the factory timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is 2 degree BTC, it makes me think that this that the might be where the points cam should be positioned and reinstalled. This assumes that the little hole in the cam is some type of a location indicator or reference point. you can see this in photos 5655b, 5653b and 5651b. As mentioned earlier, the distributor rotates in clockwise direction.

Final Questions Summary and Requests

I surely would appreciate your help in telling me:

1. How to properly position the point cam lobe on the distributor shaft as it was originally before removal.

2. Proper procedure for pressing on or tappng on the points cam lobe so as not to damage anything the distributor.

3. Can you send me an email 2 photos of an original YL2527501 Series 25 dual points distributor. One photo showing showing the points cam position when engine is firing on TDC compression stroke of #1 cylinder?
A 2nd photo showing the position of the rotor when firing on TDC of #1 cylinder on compression stroke.

4. Is using the old time Sun Distributor Machine the only way of solving my problem? Anyone have one that could do this for me?

Thanks so much. Jim Pullen
At least you know the cam has been repositioned !!!! You van do it with out machine but will take some study. In direction of rotation study the points and turn distributor , watch for lead a trail point sets ,,find the exact firing ( both sets of points open) Might use the old vertex mag tool a cigerate pack cellophane puting it between the points and turning until paper is released (open ) once you figure and mark on housing the exact opening point ( both open) The comparte to cap terminals ( mark cap terminals on housing ) loosen cam and turn until rotor is a little before the terminal or approaching the terminal in direction of rotation. Not exact on the terminal but a little before ......This is easier using a machine , you just adjust points, mark housing a position cam to approx 2 degrees before housing mark....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
19Fordy

Default Re: NEED HELP! 8BA Distributor Question Points Cam Lobe

Thank you very much Jim for replying and the valuable information. I will give it a try.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote