Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2023, 07:12 AM   #1
Ron_r1959

Default Putting a trailer hitch on a 41 Pickup

Anyone found a easy way to install or found an receiver style hitch that fit a 41 Pickup ? I am not trying to pull anything heavy, I know all the arguments for and against it including brakes and suspension.
Ron_r1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:36 AM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: Putting a trailer hitch on a 41 Pickup

Check with weedburner 40 over on the HAMB He's done about everything with a 40-41 Ford. He may make a hitch package for your application?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:18 PM   #3
1939mars

I think I have a couple of brackets that bolt to the bumper with a ball. If you're willing to risk your bumper PM me an I'll look for them.

-Scott
1939mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:17 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939mars View Post
I think I have a couple of brackets that bolt to the bumper with a ball. If you're willing to risk your bumper PM me an I'll look for them.

-Scott
That was the main way it was done back when we were kids. I have receivers on a couple of my old fords I uses in my business, but on the woodie I have the 'clamp on the bumper' trailer ball because it just looks right.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #5
jimTN

Use a angle iron that reaches from one side to the other where your bumper brackets are together. Use two old connecting rod caps, drilling the angle iron for them and bolt the iron. Use a 1/2"by 3" Flat bar welded to the angle that runs under your bumper, drill it for the ball and weld a flat bar to it that extends up to the top of your bumper and drill a hole thru it and your bumper for a bolt. If you do not want to drill the bumper, you can set up some sort of a clamp.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:43 PM   #6
TomT/Williamsburg

I have a build thread on the hamb entitled “40 Ford P-up Build Thread” under TomT. In it I describe installing a Class III hitch on the back of my p-up to tow a small camper on basically a stock 35-40 frame. I have not tried it yet as the truck is not finished and this is probably heavier duty than you have in mind but it may give you some ideas.
Good luck …..
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote