Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
danliveshere

Default spring spreader info or pics

Has anybody got a picture or sketch of how the best way to build a simple spring spreader for removing and installing the springs. I've replaced shackles a couple times while in the car but I've just removed the complete rear and removed the rear spring today and I think it's going to be hard to replace without the aid of a tool. In the efv8 35-36 ford book it says fordor has 12 springs(this is what I have) and will be going into a phaeton which has 11. My 4th longest leaf is broken. Which is the correct leaf to remove when changing in this case? (do I replace the broken leaf and remove another ??) Should I keep 12? What do other 35-36 phaeton owners have that is comfortable with either 1 or 5 passengers?
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
PeteVS

Default Re: spring spreader info or pics

My recomendation towards installing springs is to assemble the main leaf only onto the front or rear axle and then assemble the rest of the leaves onto it. Unless you have a truly safe and sturdy spreader, there's an awful lot of energy in a spread spring to let fly if something goes wrong, and that energy can do an awful lot of damage, especially if you're right next to it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
31chevy

Some one on the barn said he rented a porta power and it worked very well. I used a spreader that some one loaned me I think it was home made and it was scary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
joel

Here are a couple of pic of one I made from hardware store materials. The materials are 1 in black pipe and 7/8 dia all thread and nuts. That extra little piece on the end of the spreader foot is to enable it to be used with a reversed eye spring. I hope this helps.

joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
danliveshere

Thanks Joel. That's what I thought..... I was going to make something really complicated and your idea is really simple!!!Will save me heaps of time , Dan.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
blucar

I made a copy from memory of a spring spreader we used when I worked in a Ford garage over fifty years ago. The spreader is very easy to make from supplies that you might have laying round your shop/garage. See attached photo..
Several of the "engineer types" have taken me to task because I did not incorporate a safety chain/devise to the spreader, they were afraid that the spreader would come unattached from the spring and put someones eye out... This is not a Red Ryder BB Gun... Remember the line from the movie... "you'll shoot your eye out".
If you have springs with reversed eyes the end of the spreader has to be modified.
Email me and I will send you the parts list, spec's for the spreader.
In reality, the spring does not need that much power applied to work with the shackles.
Foot Note:
With the ends notched like I did, the spreader is very well secured to the spring eye. The spreader also exerts most of it's power on the center of the spring eye in lieu of up into the spring leaf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spr.sprdr.4.jpg (62.6 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by blucar; 03-30-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Additional info
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
19Fordy

Here's mine. Made from a HUGE turn buckle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3324 (Small).jpg (40.4 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3325 (Small).jpg (44.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3326 (Small).jpg (41.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3328 (Small).jpg (39.8 KB, 95 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danliveshere View Post
Has anybody got a picture or sketch of how the best way to build a simple spring spreader for removing and installing the springs. I've replaced shackles a couple times while in the car but I've just removed the complete rear and removed the rear spring today and I think it's going to be hard to replace without the aid of a tool. In the efv8 35-36 ford book it says fordor has 12 springs(this is what I have) and will be going into a phaeton which has 11. My 4th longest leaf is broken. Which is the correct leaf to remove when changing in this case? (do I replace the broken leaf and remove another ??) Should I keep 12? What do other 35-36 phaeton owners have that is comfortable with either 1 or 5 passengers?
If you make one like Joel's, make sure you use at least 7/8" dia all thread (or larger if you can find it). I made mine years ago using 3/4" AT and it bowed under load. I have some saved pictures in my files of various design spring spreaders. Send me a PM with email addy if you would like to see them. I don't care to post pics of these here in case someone tries to make something like my pics and then gets hurt using it.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-30-2011 at 03:18 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
okiedokie

I used my porta power on the last one I did, worked fine. But if you don't have a porta power, then any of these will work. I used one like Joel's that I made for years untill I loaned it and never saw it again.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Ken Crans

I was thinking of rebuilding my front end too. I heard that you need a spreader. Joels looks nice and easy to make. I noticed in the pic that there are shocks. Does someone make a kit to retro fit that to a 40 pickup. I didn't really look, but is their a set of knee action shocks,sway bar on a 40 or what. Who would sell the parts? Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
danliveshere

Thanks for the photos guys. Will post a pic of what I've built next week. Dan.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I made a copy from memory of a spring spreader we used when I worked in a Ford garage over fifty years ago. The spreader is very easy to make from supplies that you might have laying round your shop/garage. See attached photo..
Several of the "engineer types" have taken me to task because I did not incorporate a safety chain/devise to the spreader, they were afraid that the spreader would come unattached from the spring and put someones eye out... This is not a Red Ryder BB Gun... Remember the line from the movie... "you'll shoot your eye out".
If you have springs with reversed eyes the end of the spreader has to be modified.
Email me and I will send you the parts list, spec's for the spreader.
In reality, the spring does not need that much power applied to work with the shackles.
Foot Note:
With the ends notched like I did, the spreader is very well secured to the spring eye. The spreader also exerts most of it's power on the center of the spring eye in lieu of up into the spring leaf.
What scares me about this design is that one little slip up could kick an end of the spreader off the spring loop, causing the spreader to go one way and the spring (maybe even the car if it's up on blocks) to go the other way. I wouldn't want to be around if that happens. There's an earlier post that shows a design where the end of the spreader can't be slid out sideways.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #13
danliveshere

Guys I've basically copied Bills' tool. 1" id pipe, 15/16" all thread that goes all the way to the end inside and it makes the 2 halves tie together. A little heavy but works well. Thanks again to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reinke pics 012.jpg (55.7 KB, 173 views)
Old 03-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
Hugh in NC

This is a spreader a fellow gave me about 25 years ago. I have not used it much, but last time I used it, it felt like it must have weighed 50 pounds. My bathroom scales said that it was only 20 pounds. I must be getting old. On my back under the '40, holding it up with 1 hand and trying to turn the turnbuckle with the other, it felt at least 50 pounds!

Hugh in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Guys I've basically copied Bills' tool. 1" id pipe, 15/16" all thread that goes all the way to the end inside and it makes the 2 halves tie together. A little heavy but works well. Thanks again to all.
That looks good Dan but still be careful. Those springs can be killers if something slips. Richard Early V8 Garage has a safety feature on his spring spreader that might work on yours. I'll see if I can find some pictures to post here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-31-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
danliveshere

Ok thanks John. I'll fab 2 brackets to stop em slippin!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
joel

Good idea! I like that design better than mine. I forgot to mention; I made 2, 1 front spring and 1 for the rear spring so that a minium amount of all thread is exposed.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
blucar

The spring that my spreader is attached to has been like the pix shows for over twenty-five years. The whole affair has been floating around my garage, being knocked around, hanging on the wall, from which it fell in a very strong earth quake in 2004, through all of the mishaps, the spreader and spring have not parted company yet.
There are two main features to the spreader I made; The 3/8" x 2' end pieces have concave ends that capture the spring eye. Secondly, the two nuts in the center provide a point to hold the shaft with one wrench, stopping the shaft from rotating while the outer extending nuts are turned to expand the spreader.
Before I had a spring spreader we used a bumper jack on the bumper and a Ford bottle jack under the spring eye.. Placing the bottle jack under the spring eye, then lowering the bumper jack worked very well... Fine tuning the spring eye position could be done with the bottle jack.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
296 V8
BANNED

Like PeteVS said in post 2
Its so much easier to disassemble and assemble a spring with the main leaf in place.

All you need is

1 C clamp
2 wrench
3 punch (to put in the hole for alignment)
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Fordfed

Great forum subject since I have just received my new front leaf spring today that I planned on installing on my 39-ford truck. I like the suggested spring replacement process from PeteVS. Since I don’t have the ability to manufacture a spreader like the ones shown. Is there any disadvantage to using this method of installing one leaf at a time?
Fordfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #21
tub1

he dan drop over to my workshop u can borrow mine ive got the diff out of my 35 at the moment lol regards scott
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Ok thanks John. I'll fab 2 brackets to stop em slippin!
Dan, you may already have your safety brackets made by now but here is a sketch with dimensions that I just found. As they say, better late than never........... You may want to adjust these dimensions some depending on your spreader design and the springs you need to spread.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #23
Mart

If you're making one, I agree, the bigger diameter threaded bar you can find the better. Just my opinion, but I reckon it is best to have the adjuster part offset to one side, I think it will be less likely to buckle, the middle is the weak spot in my view.
This is especially true if using it on a 32-34 rear spring, as the diff gets in the way of a straight shot. The frame has to be extra strong, surround the diff, and the threaded part on one side has to be in a direct line between the spring eyes.

Sorry, no pics, but just some ideas.

Mart.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:56 AM   #24
jake197000

i use a porta power
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:30 AM   #25
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfed View Post
Great forum subject since I have just received my new front leaf spring today that I planned on installing on my 39-ford truck. I like the suggested spring replacement process from PeteVS. Since I don’t have the ability to manufacture a spreader like the ones shown. Is there any disadvantage to using this method of installing one leaf at a time?
Make sure you have a good and long center bolt as you will need it. You can use the weight of the car to compress the spring, tighten the bolt as you go, and cut off the excess when done.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 11:37 AM   #26
Newc

Yep; using a new LONG center bolt you can assemble the spring in place [ big C clamps help] Wrapped springs do not use this method. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:28 PM   #27
deuce_roadster

I can tell you from experience that no matter what kind of spreader you use, doing a 14 leaf covered station wagon rear spring will make you nervous. I hope to never have to do that again.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 11:44 AM   #28
glennpm

I made one years ago from 3/4" threaded rod with is too small a diameter. Doing spring work about 5 years ago I decided to use a Porta-Power type tool and bought one from Harbor Freight. Here is the info:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=22
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:01 AM   #29
Boggus Deal

If using all-thread, remember that hardware and auto parts store all-thread is typically Grade 2. You need to go to somewhere like Grainger or a specialty supplier to get a heavier grade.
Boggus Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:30 AM   #30
neilp

The spring spreader in this video is the neatest one I have seen. Go to 4:30 into the video.

https://youtu.be/tnB-LtZh_Zc

Patrick
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 05:22 AM   #31
big job

Shame on me: Doing a normal service (oil and grease) on the lift my old eyes noticed on the rear right spring eye half missing and four broken leafs. I don't like tail draggers that will effect front geometry. All I could find online is reverse eye springs no good those lower the car. Middle of the night my brain flash! Eaton Detroit Spring. Called them No problem for $575 two weeks .we had genuine Ford shackles in stock OK. Never used a spreader or porta power. So easy, common floor jack under the eye then cut off shackle then the other side. (car is on jack stands) impact gun on 4 U bolts >spring OUT: Most people will fight getting 77 yr old shackles apart why they are toasted too. cut them off.. This story is all about Eaton Detroit the spring its perfect well worth it. They were and still a major supplier of all make light & heavy trucks and busses. In closing you do not need a spreader just a floor jack........Now the car is at proper height and even steers easier!!
Eaton > 10 stars
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 11:54 AM   #32
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I can tell you from experience that no matter what kind of spreader you use, doing a 14 leaf covered station wagon rear spring will make you nervous. I hope to never have to do that again.
Oh yeah!

Plus, at least at my current age, it takes about all I have to spread the spring far enough.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:35 PM   #33
ndnchf

You guys using a portapower, did you fabricate special wedge ends to fit the spring? Please explain and share photos. Thanks.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 02:46 PM   #34
big job

ndnchf Most common portapowers come with only one wedge ya have to make one. I did try the porta power with car on lift and it exploded lots of force on springs, thats why I use a floor jack under the schackle little force because you are arching ONE side not TWO. And I did all with no help either. Hard to note that after cutting schackles off letting jack down how much the spring drops big time: Can't imagine a spreader spreading both sides thats wicked force, thats why a floor jack safe nothing will slip or fly at you try it with the car on the ground but with jack stands you see the car with tires still on the ground that is the weight needed transmitting this weight to the Jack..then the other side, drop U bolts and old spring drops down also with jack lowering the spring. I came upon this way being a kid changing a Model T spring never heard of a spring spreader then & did not have a floor jack only one of those jacks that had a crank..Now to install the hard part had to use plenty of heat to get the top threaded pins out,, surprise there is a hardened steel bushing in there, Mini air saw, chisel, nope finally had to blow it out with cutting torch carefully. This is the housing (top). I think it was first made that way, but my new Ford kit uses bubber bushings not steel. I think Ford replacements being rubber was a time savor for the dealer......sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote