Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
offy19

Default leaky fuel line

I have a Drake fuel tank in my 40 convert and have had nothing but trouble with the 1/4" ferrule fitting that fits in the tank. The ferrule appears to not seat all around where it seats in the tank. Will the pick up tube in the tank come out or? Thanks
offy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: leaky fuel line

Is this a new line or the old one? If new line and fitting and ferrel it could have been made slightly off center[the fitting nut] so it dosent push on the ferrel right and leaks.There are several types of ferrels some with a kind of peak at the middle which i dont like and some others that are kind of rounded which i like better. If an old line and fitting and ferrel it could have the ferrel squashed too much and wont seal any more.Do you have enough slack in line to cut end off and install new fitting and good ferrel. This problem is kind of hard to explain but it happends more on the carb fittings which are the same setup. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
offy19

I have tried 3 times with a new ferrule and new lines with the same results. I looked in the tank bung with a scope and it looks like the suction line in the tank might be removable for replacement but I don't want to mess with it unless I know for sure. Thanks Ken for the reply.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Jack E/NJ

You can sometimes use gas-resistant rubber or elastic rings or ferrules instead of metal ferrules in these situations. I've made my own elastic rings to act a ferrules by slicing them from rubber and tygon tubing.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

You got to be buying inferior quality ford-nuts and ferrels. I dont have any troubles with mine .I make up numerous carb lines and there the same system and have little if no troubles when tightened up correctly/ ken ct.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
37 Coupe

Its probably not the nut or ferrules it is probably the Chinaman keeled over before seat was properly machined on tank suction part and the new Chinaman that replaced him passed it on.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

Ive heard if incorrectly made nuts and ferrels. ken ct.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
offy19

Well I gave it one last try & really reefed on the fitting (more than seemed right!) and it stopped leaking. I did learn that the pick up tube in the tank is soldered to the threaded bung, so as a last resort one could re-tap for 1/4" pipe thread. Thanks for all your responses, even the wise guys.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by offy19 View Post
Well I gave it one last try & really reefed on the fitting (more than seemed right!) and it stopped leaking. I did learn that the pick up tube in the tank is soldered to the threaded bung, so as a last resort one could re-tap for 1/4" pipe thread. Thanks for all your responses, even the wise guys.
When installing a new Ford nut and ferrell on the 1/4 in fuel line, you must REALLY crank down hard on the first tighten of the nut. This will crimp the ferrell into the line and stop the leak.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
ken ct
BANNED

Thanks for chimeing in Jerry. ken ct.