Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2024, 04:01 PM   #1
32Bee

Default Hinge Pin Mirrors

I'm going to order a pair of hinge pin mirrors for my 35 convertible sedan.
Years ago I bought a pair for my 36 from Bob Drake and I wasn't impressed
with how well the plating on the arms held up so I'm thinking about buy a
pair from Dennis Carpenter. Any body have any info or suggestions one way
or the other?

Peter
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:44 PM   #2
pbsdaddy

Default Re: Hinge Pin Mirrors

It is very likely they are made by the same company. Both companies you mention are retailers, not manufactures. That said, I have purchased mirrors from both and one other. It seems to me, to be a matter of the "lot" the piece came from. It did not appear there was much real quality control with any of them. I have a pair of, "clamp on" mirrors that are beautiful, after several years. I also have a pair that were probably peeling the day they arrived and I just failed to notice.
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:20 PM   #3
Steve in Denver

Be sure you can get the hinge pin out before you buy the mirrors, and don't bother with that little thing that some advertise. A drift pin and a big hammer finally work.
Be sure to go by Tandy and get a big thick piece of leather and cut it to go around the hinge so you don't dig the body .

If you get it to move up at all, then start putting lots of penatrating oil on it. Dont get in a hurry.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:00 AM   #4
32Bee

It will be no problem concerning removal of the upper hinge pin in both front doors as
this has been a total body off restoration and the front doors haven't been mounted yet.
Thanks for your help.

Peter
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:06 PM   #5
blucar

I have never been very fond of the Ford type of hinge pin mirrors, I found a neat trick over 40 years ago to use Volks Wagon door pin mirrors on the '30 model Fords. I have a set on my '36 that has been on the car since the early '80's. I go an extra step on the right hand mirror attaching a 3-3/4" convex mirror over the factor mirror which gives me ample rear view vision. I keep a set of VW mirrors in stock just in case I need them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford VW hing pin mirror.1.jpg (35.1 KB, 241 views)
Old 02-02-2024, 12:15 PM   #6
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I have never been very fond of the Ford type of hinge pin mirrors, I found a neat trick over 40 years ago to use Volks Wagon door pin mirrors on the '30 model Fords. I have a set on my '36 that has been on the car since the early '80's. I go an extra step on the right hand mirror attaching a 3-3/4" convex mirror over the factor mirror which gives me ample rear view vision. I keep a set of VW mirrors in stock just in case I need them.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:46 PM   #7
blucar

While we are on the door pin mirror subject I'll add an alternate rear view mirror that I used on my 39 conv coupe in lieu of hinge pin mirrors.
The rear view mirror shown in the attached pix is after-market "Swan Mirrors".. I fabricated a mounting plate out of aluminum attached to the existing accessory 'blind' wind wing nuts. I attached a 3-3/4" convex mirror over the factory mirror which provided ample rear view of the right side of the car and the surrounding area.
The setup looks like an original factor accessory, I used an original Chrysler factory rubber mounting pad under the base plate..
If someone questions the mirrors at a car show I respond that the car was originally built at the Long Beach CA plant in Jan 1939.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 Plym conv.7-14-2.jpg (60.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg 39 Plym conv.7-14-3.jpg (54.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 39 Plym mir.brak.2.jpg (54.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 02-02-2024, 12:47 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
While we are on the door pin mirror subject I'll add an alternate rear view mirror that I used on my 39 conv coupe in lieu of hinge pin mirrors.
The rear view mirror shown in the attached pix is after-market "Swan Mirrors".. I fabricated a mounting plate out of aluminum attached to the existing accessory 'blind' wind wing nuts. I attached a 3-3/4" convex mirror over the factory mirror which provided ample rear view of the right side of the car and the surrounding area.
The setup looks like an original factor accessory, I used an original Chrysler factory rubber mounting pad under the base plate..
If someone questions the mirrors at a car show I respond that the car was originally built at the Long Beach CA plant in Jan 1939.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 07:20 PM   #9
325w

Nice work
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:15 PM   #10
Ray in La Mesa

Blucar, I have the same VW hinge mirror on my '28 pickup mounted to the side of the windshield frame where the wing nut was. Been there for 50 years & works great. Also have the smooth style w/o the square edges on the shaft.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:47 AM   #11
motordr

blucar, you were thinking outside the box way back when, great ideas and an inspiration! Thanks.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:37 AM   #12
glennpm

I have Drake's mirrors on both sides and as you all know, the right side looks good but doesn't look well! I had hinge pins mirrors at one time but didn't care for the look so I started looking for an alternative.

This picture is the first I tried but later changes to a 4". The key is getting one like I've shown where you can unscrew the threaded stud and replace it with a trimmed Allen head bolt. The position is great and above passenger arms, etc.

I had a piece of Al that I drilled and countersunk for the Allen head, then shaped and polished.

I thoroughly cleaned the new part and the stainless trim and adhered it with 3M double backed tape. It has been solid for three years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~---------------
Rumble Seat's Notes
Techno-Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:39 PM   #13
blucar

More on VW mirrors on a EFV8.. I was at a EFV8 Regional sanctioned meet in the very early '60's, one of the cars at the meet was a very nice 36 3 win cpe. The car had very nice hing pin mirrors on both doors. I followed the '36 into the show grounds, as soon as the car was parked I parked, I walked over to the car and introduced myself.
I obtained info from the owner of the 36 about the mirrows, was quite surprised to find out that the VW mirrors were a direct replacement for the '36 Fords. The hinge pins for the VW and Ford were the same size.