Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2023, 08:59 PM   #1
Fordestes

Default U joint how to.

Are the u joint trunion bearings supposed to be full floating ? I have two that are different in that respect , one the outer bearing on the housing sides are solid and don't turn, I have another which the bearing floats in the housing , I want to re build one which has a little slop in the spider ,what is the easiest way to remove the bearings and not destroy anything , I was thinking about forcing a wire under the locking wire clips to compress it into the bearing groove, Or is it easier to pull the locking wire out with a set of pliers where it can't be re used. I tried to buy another joint assembly and i was told they are on nation wide back order, the joints I am using are v 8 non riveted type.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:33 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: U joint how to.

Not sure exactly what you have, but the outer race does not turn in the joint. The cross turns inside of the outer race. Lincoln U-joints have needle bearings between the cross and outer cups. Where are you located?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 12:20 PM   #3
Fordestes

Default Re: U joint how to.

central Oklahoma, I have a v -8 u- joint , and I am installing a T-170 o.d and want a good joint to start with, I was un sure if the bearing did or did not turn inside the housing, all the ones I ever seen except the one I wanted to use the bearing turned in the housing I wasn't sure if ford designed it to be a full floating bearing or not, and didn't know the best way to dis assemble the joint , due to the fact the new ones are on nation wide back order I decided to take two and make one good joint so I can proceed with my project . any suggestions on dis assembly without destroying the parts . thanks.

Last edited by Fordestes; 08-19-2023 at 12:22 PM. Reason: content
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote