Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2023, 06:30 PM   #1
kimlinh

Default Rough running Car

I can't figure out what is wrong with my car. It is a fully restored 29 Model A sedan. The car ran great until lately. Now when the car first starts it runs fine, but after a couple of miles the engine starts to misfire. The problem gets worse as the car warms up. The coil, points and condenser are fairly new. The gas tank, gas lines and carburetor are clean. This was a great running car until this started. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
kimlinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:44 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Rough running Car

It is either fuel or ignition. Has it gotten hot in Connecticut lately? Next time you take the car out bring along a plastic bag of ice. When it starts to act up put ice on the coil. Also try icing the fuel line and the condenser. Even though the components are fairly new, they can go bad if heated. There can be something that entered the fuel line so re check by removing the plug at the bottom of the carburetor. The plug there will test the whole fuel system from the tank to the float valve. Do the fuel test outdoors with a fire extinguisher handy. Check to see if the vent in the gas cap is clear. Next time it acts up, remove the cap to see if that helps.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:02 PM   #3
mcgarrett

Your description sure sounds to me like a condenser going bad. Start your troubleshooting with the easy stuff first. Without changing anything else, try replacing the condenser with one of the "burnout proof" units sold by most of the parts suppliers. Inexpensive and easy to replace.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:51 AM   #4
eagle

Have you checked the point gap lately? Some of the new points wear down very quickly causing insufficient gap.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:42 AM   #5
Robert/Texas

My '28 roadster was acting like that last year. It turned out that the brass screen in the sediment bowl was stopped up with some hardened black stuff which I couldn't get to dissolve even with acetone. I replaced the screen with a new one and the problem was solved. I have no idea what that substance was.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 10:52 AM   #6
nkaminar

Kim, We all learn from these discussions. When you get it figured out, please post the solution.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 05:02 PM   #7
Fordestes

I had that happen , I was using an oil filled coil, I had the coil positioned with the tower(coil wire hole )turned downward as I thought it was originally placed, it seem the coil was getting hot and breaking down, I turned the coil wire plug in to the top and haven't had any problem since . the coil is the same coil offered by F&S Distributor, it is from a kit a friend had and chose not to use . I'll get the number off the coil and post later.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #8
kimlinh

Finally got it fixed. After trying everything else I rebuilt the carburetor. The main jet and the compensator jet had a build up on them. I used a gas tank sealer when I restored my car. The sealer worked well for several years but now it seams to be dissolving. both jets were open but very restricted. I should have looked at the carburetor sooner because I was driving with the gas adjusting valve open several turns however the way the car ran made me think it was electrical. Thanks for the help.
kimlinh is offline   Reply With Quote