Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2023, 07:48 AM   #1
jjk

Default Cracked 'B' head.

Got a killer deal on a 31 high compression head recently and discovered some cracks during clean up. Before I spend a bunch of time and energy on it I decided to seek some advice from the elder statesmen on what could be done.

I circled the cracks in the photos and just curious how far I will need to go to run this safely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ke6d62g2.jpg (20.3 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg RenderedImage.jpg (46.7 KB, 230 views)
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:10 AM   #2
John

Default Re: Cracked 'B' head.

If the crack runs from a water passage hole to a stud hole, a simple repair can be made. Cracks between water jacket holes do not create a problem. I have had them repaired by having an automotive machine shop drill out the stud hole and install an appropriate size valve guide in a press fit manner. The valve guide is then drilled out to accommodate the head stud and surfaced with the head. It worked for me.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #3
Gary WA

I have a Brumfield Head and talking with the late Larry B. It had the same crack as you show he said No problem in running with the proper copper gasket and copper spray!
Old 07-25-2023, 05:06 PM   #4
Keith True

I have used a couple like that.The machine shop that shaved them for me said Ford has a part number for those cracks.I have one that I had planed about 10 years ago,greased up and sitting in the shed waiting for me to use it.Same cracks in that one.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:08 PM   #5
Synchro909

I don't think I have seen an original Model A head that doesn't have those cracks. My advice? ignore them and drive away.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:12 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

40 years ago i drilled and tapped the same crack for a small machine screw, cut it off a little above flush and peined it with a hammer, leveling with a file
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:35 AM   #7
Fordestes

I brazed up my stock cyl. head and had it surfaced no problems .the surfacing had to be done with a belt type surfacing machine due to embrittlement after the brazing .
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #8
jjk

Thank you all for the advice im going to give this one a chance at a new life and run her with my fingers crossed. I wanted to make sure I wasn't setting myself up for failure after all my work was done.
Old 07-26-2023, 10:51 AM   #9
johnneilson

Even though not mentioned here make sure to use proper torking sequence when installing
This cracking can be caused by not following the proper procedure

J
Old 07-26-2023, 01:45 PM   #10
jjk

For sure I'm doing new studs so there will be a few passes with the torque wrench during install.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:28 AM   #11
Bob Bidonde

Cracks initiate in a tension stress field in the metal. In this case, tightening the head stud put a bending stress on the head so there was tension in its bottom surface. Contributing to the crack initiation is the rough surface finish on the walls of the coolant holes. I put arrows to show the tension fields in the metal from bending the head due to nut torque and a gasket that compresses.
In my opinion, the stud is going to weep coolant because of the cracks that will open a bit when the head is torqued. I would have a shop oversize the stud hole and press-fit a bushing into the stud hole. I would also grind the water passage holes smooth using a rotatary tool like a Dremel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cracked B Head.jpg (44.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 07-27-2023, 07:36 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Cracks initiate in a tension stress field in the metal. In this case, tightening the head stud put a bending stress on the head so there was tension in its bottom surface. Contributing to the crack initiation is the rough surface finish on the walls of the coolant holes. I put arrows to show the tension fields in the metal from bending the head due to nut torque and a gasket that compresses.
In my opinion, the stud is going to weep coolant because of the cracks that will open a bit when the head is torqued. I would have a shop oversize the stud hole and press-fit a bushing into the stud hole. I would also grind the water passage holes smooth using a rotatary tool like a Dremel.
Bob, Pls correct me if I'm wrong but tightening the head studs in the recommended sequence (starting in the middle and working towards the ends) would create those tension forces at the bottom face. I have seen people recommend starting at one end (either end) and working towards the other. I can't see that making much difference though.
My thinking is that many small increases in the torque setting is the best way of minimising stresses in the bottom surface.
Comments?
Old 07-28-2023, 08:14 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

Synchro909,
Here is a diagram of one nut clamping down on the cylinder head which sits on a compressible gasket. When the head bends under the influence of tightening the nut, the top surface of the head goes into compression and the bottom goes into tension. You are correct. At each tight nut, there will be a local tension stress in the bottom surface of the head. That is why we see cracks in the bottom of the head and not the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bent Head.jpg (19.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-28-2023, 01:22 PM   #14
jjk

Thanks for the info yall, I'm looking for a local machine shop to sleeve the stud hole and do a quick pass on the surface for me.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:03 AM   #15
jjk

So what head gasket are folks runnin on these high compression heads ?
Old 08-29-2023, 01:01 PM   #16
nkaminar

I have had good luck with the Best brand graphite gasket with the copper spray gasket adhesive. Best makes their graphite gaskets for stock and for high compression heads.

Terry Burtz recommends not using the traditional head nut tightening sequence but starting from the ends and only using 10 foot-pound increments of torque. So 10 ft-lbs, then 20, then 30, then 40, then 50, then 55.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:28 PM   #17
jjk

What about FELPRO head gasket from their gasket kit? Any issues ?
Old 08-29-2023, 03:04 PM   #18
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk View Post
What about FELPRO head gasket from their gasket kit? Any issues ?
New Felpro gaskets have been blamed for a number of gasket failures due to insufficient material between the "siamesed" cylinders. There's a more detailed breakdown of this issue on Vince Falter's site.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:12 PM   #19
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Terry Burtz recommends not using the traditional head nut tightening sequence but starting from the ends and only using 10 foot-pound increments of torque. So 10 ft-lbs, then 20, then 30, then 40, then 50, then 55.
I would not recommend this procedure.

I would torque in the normal pattern but initially snug each stud and then tighten to 35 ft-lbs and increase 5 ft-lb increments up to 55 ft-lbs.

This is what I do,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:42 PM   #20
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I would not recommend this procedure.

I would torque in the normal pattern but initially snug each stud and then tighten to 35 ft-lbs and increase 5 ft-lb increments up to 55 ft-lbs.

This is what I do,

Chris W.
Yes but the OP's head has cracks around stud #2 in the "spiral" pattern, so if you use that pattern, that part of the head will have consistently higher strain on it than the parts around it. So a modified pattern might be indicated in this case.

I can definitely see the argument for Terry's back-to-front pattern. The underlying question is whether you think the cylinder head, with its 2x7 bolt pattern, is more similar to a one-dimensional linear bolted joint or a two-dimensional rectangular joint. Two-dimensional joints should be tightened in a spiral outward from the center, while one-dimensional linear joints should be tightened from one end to the other.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote