Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
1931 flamingo

Default dump tubes

I think that's what they're called. Come from just below the headers and usually exit under the front of the running boards (40 Coupe).
Can someone in CT recommend a good muffler/exhaust shop??

Thanks in advance.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: dump tubes

Yep, "dump tubes" is what they were called...

LAKE PIPE DUMP TUBES

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 04-21-2021 at 03:13 PM.
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I think that's what they're called. Come from just below the headers and usually exit under the front of the running boards (40 Coupe).
Can someone in CT recommend a good muffler/exhaust shop??

Thanks in advance.
Paul in CT
Had work done at 'POP'S in Manchester but they have a Wethersfield location also.

https://www.popsexhaustmanchester.com/
Old 04-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
Pete

Dump tubes or lakes plugs.

Dump tubes were also the tubes in carb venturi's where the fuel was dumped into the air stream. We still install oversize ones in 48's for nitro.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Dump tubes or lakes plugs.

Dump tubes were also the tubes in carb venturi's where the fuel was dumped into the air stream. We still install oversize ones in 48's for nitro.
I was at the dump the other day that sits next to a lake, there was a big pile of tubes at the dump.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
I was at the dump the other day that sits next to a lake, there was a big pile of tubes at the dump.
Toobs that are used in vintage radios get dumped when worn out....
Old 04-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
tubman

We used to make 'em out of old gas tank filler tubes, The caps were easy to get off (no wrenches involved). A twist of the wrist is all it took.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #8
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
We used to make 'em out of old gas tank filler tubes, The caps were easy to get off (no wrenches involved). A twist of the wrist is all it took.
And that reminds me of a guy that was in our club way back in the "olden dayz".
He owned a race shop and had a chassis dyno. He drag raced a 49 Pontiac with a straight 8 in it. After doing some internal mods to the engine, he started on the exhaust. No one made headers for that engine at the time so he split the stock exhaust manifold noting the gain in hp on the dyno. It was very significant.
Since this was a drag only car, he made the new outlets short and sticking straight up. He put gas caps on the ends because he still had to drive to the track. After noting the lowering of ET at the track, he decided to add more outlets to the manifold. In the final configuration he had 6 extra outlets all with gas caps.
Overall he gained a little,over 10 hp with all of the outlets.
One time coming home from the races, he lost one of the caps. Just by chance he pulled over right where there was a farmers produce stand. He bought one potato and stuck it in the hole and drove on home.
This was Arlington, 1950.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Great story!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:46 PM   #10
tubman

Since we're telling "potato stories". here's one. When we were in high school, we had a friend who shared a '51 Chevrolet 4 door with his mother. His mom complained the the exhaust was a little noisy, so his dad had a complete new system on it. The guy was bragging about his quiet exhaust system one Sunday night at our "Youth Fellowship" meeting. (Why a teenage boy would brag about a quiet exhaust system is beyond me; with a '51 Chevy 4 door, perhaps that's all he had.) Anyway, one of us snuck into the church kitchen and stole a large baking potato and shoved it all the way up the guys new tailpipe. He got it started, but the car would barely run. why the potato didn't just blow out of the tailpipe is a mystery. Maybe the new exhaust system was not as tight as it should have been.

We laughed about it for weeks.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #11
Tinker

There is electric controlled exhaust diverters out there for sale. Just a exhaust Y with a solenoid. What are you taking about officer, My car is quiet. Probably not much to worry about with a flathead
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #12
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
And that reminds me of a guy that was in our club way back in the "olden dayz".
He owned a race shop and had a chassis dyno. He drag raced a 49 Pontiac with a straight 8 in it. After doing some internal mods to the engine, he started on the exhaust. No one made headers for that engine at the time so he split the stock exhaust manifold noting the gain in hp on the dyno. It was very significant.
Since this was a drag only car, he made the new outlets short and sticking straight up. He put gas caps on the ends because he still had to drive to the track. After noting the lowering of ET at the track, he decided to add more outlets to the manifold. In the final configuration he had 6 extra outlets all with gas caps.
Overall he gained a little,over 10 hp with all of the outlets.
One time coming home from the races, he lost one of the caps. Just by chance he pulled over right where there was a farmers produce stand. He bought one potato and stuck it in the hole and drove on home.
This was Arlington, 1950.
a very good story for sure ! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
1931 flamingo

51-MERC-CT

Thanks !
That may be where my brother had exh sys done on his Vette years ago.
Paul
Old 04-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #14
5851a

They seem to call them cut outs around here. I do remember seeing the gas tank filler necks with cap on behind the front tires, on a 59 Chevy. Pontiac GTO's had a optional 2 tone muffler with a switch on the dash. Tiger sound? Waldrons still makes them.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #15
mfirth

Had a set of Headman headers on a 58 non Ford product with dumps as part of the headers...rather fun to "use a wrench" cause it was cool man, if you had Headman's....
boy did it sound awesome. Ah, the good ole days .......
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #16
joe 1950

Back in the day my neighbor lady didn’t like my glass packs on my Ford she was married to a city police officer so you guessed it he had one of his buddies pull me over on my way to work gave me a ticket so took it to the shop and drilled a small hole through the pipe at the end and packed it full of steel wool then placed a screw through the hole with a nut got the ticket signed went two blocks away pulled the screws and put the old Ford through the gears and blew it all out cheaper than new mufflers A HHH the good old days
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #17
tubman

I had a similar problem as Joe above. I got a "Fixit" ticket for loud mufflers on my '51 Ford. My old man was pissed and took the car to his regular mechanic to get some "decent mufflers" installed. If I thought he was mad about the ticket, it was nothing compared to what happened when he got the bill for the job; he was charged for two mufflers! I had installed a set of duals while he was out of town.

My old man was a traveling salesman (yes, they did exist) and usually left Monday morning and returned on Friday afternoon. I went to the repair shop and retrieved my almost new glass-paks with the approval of the shop owner and even a wink. From then on it was change to glass-paks Monday afternoon after school and put the regular ones back on Thursday after school. My mother knew what I was doing, but for some reason never told my dad. Come to think of it, I believe that just about everybody involved knew what I was doing except for the old man. This went on for about a year until I graduated.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

When I had my first 40, Olds engine and duals. Went to get it registered, inspector told me to "fix" the exhaust. Went across the street to Montambault's (Waterbury CT) and had new mufflers (louder) installed. Went back to the inspector and showed him the receipt, never went out to the car. Signed off on it and I got it registered.
Paul in CT I remember the ones with the gas caps. Anyone remember scavenger pipes??
Old 04-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #19
tubman

"Scavenger Pipes"? You mean the "bellmouth" chrome pipes that we ran on raked cars? They were about 4 ft long and you could see all of the chrome if your rake was severe enough.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #20
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Scavenger Pipes"? You mean the "bellmouth" chrome pipes that we ran on raked cars? They were about 4 ft long and you could see all of the chrome if your rake was severe enough.
Yup, and then after awhile the fad became to turn the "bell" or flare in instead of out.