Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
Prawbly

Send a message via AIM to Prawbly
Exclamation 40-50 f100 front hubs and drums

Just need to know if 40-50 f100 hubs and drums fit my 36 tudor. Thanks - I can't believe these prices I'm finding. - Pat
Prawbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
skidmarks

Default Re: 40-50 f100 front hubs and drums

48 to 52 is called a F1. 1953 and up is a F100. 53 to 56 is a better choice then the 48 to 52 on the hubs nd drums. But i would also change your spindles to the 42 to 48 car spindles to make the install easier
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Some info on what is required (this is for 37 and up spindles).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F100-1.jpg (48.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg F100-2.jpg (83.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg F100-3.jpg (52.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg F100-4.jpg (46.0 KB, 38 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You can use F1 or F100 parts, but you have to match the drums and the hubs. The F1 original type drums are expensive and a little hard to come by. I use the later F150 rear drums (in the 1970s). They are slightly wider than the shoes but work fine. I can provide the drum years/numbers if anyone is interested. The F100 drums are easier to come by.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-100 and F-1 hubs.JPG (98.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg f-1 hub.JPG (121.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg f-100 hub.JPG (120.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
Prawbly

Thanks to all. It looks like I'm getting a little "over-my-head......I'm not financially ready for this. I still have the original mechanical brakes. When I do this setup I like JSEERY's suggestion with later model parts. I'm going to get away from the wide five mainly because I really don't care for the look and I want to get some kind of nice looking wheel. Anyway thanks for opening my eyes to what looks like an expensive project. I don't mind paying the price as much as I hate the ongoing "KITCHEN STATIC" that will absolutely come. I loved her to pieces - but damn ! Ya know ?
Thanks again - - Pat
Old 08-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
blucar

Since you asked the question about converting your brakes to hydraulic from the original mechanical brakes, and there has been some comments in response to converting to later model F-1/F100 brakes, I'll give you some options on what I would call a more practical approach.
The front spindles will have to be converted to '40-41 Ford, requiring no modifications and/or machine work.
I would suggest '42-48 passenger car backing plates and brakes, they are much better than the '39-41 brakes.
The drums front and rear can be '38-39 if you want to retain the stock wide five wheels, use '41-48 front/rear drums if you want Ford 5 on 5.5" wheels. The 5.on 5.5" wheels will accommodate the '41-48 16" Ford wheels or better yet they will also fit the later model F150 5 on 5.5 x 15" wheels. The pickup wheels through '66 will have the inside hub cap knobs, where-as the ' 67-96 will have outside knobs.
A '39 style of peddle assembly will bolt right into the car but will require the relocation of the battery which can be a problem on a sedan. The battery relocation can be eliminated if an Optima 6v AGM battery is used.
I have reservations about trying to use a lot of F100 parts because each modification results in another modification, then at the end of the day repairs/maintenance becomes an issue because everything is an adaptation of modified parts.
The brakes on my '36 are as I have described in the above..
Old 08-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
scooder

Bill do you really think that the later
non adjustable bottom anchor are better than the earlier brakes with the adjustable bottom anchor?? I've always got better working brakes with the early style. They wernt changed because the fixed pivot was better, it was purely a servicing issue with bad or no training and time.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
scooder

Pat,
If it's all about the look that you want to change brakes. You can swap on 1935 drums, little spacer doings on them drums and bolt on your 40 Ford type steel wheels.
Martin.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

[QUOTE=blucar;1343781]
I have reservations about trying to use a lot of F100 parts because each modification results in another modification, then at the end of the day repairs/maintenance becomes an issue because everything is an adaptation of modified parts. QUOTE]

I think you have some good suggestion if someone wants non-self energizing brakes. I much prefer the later brakes myself. Not sure want the modifications are you are referring to that lead to other modifications. There is a little grinding on the spindle and the modification to the inter bearing, that's it. The brake parts themselves are all readily available modern parts that are easy to come by. To me it just comes down to what style of brakes you prefer dealing with and I much prefer the self-energizing.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #10
A bones

Seery, Thanks for those great pix and Info. That will be where I go when I switch my Lockheed setup for Bendix. You are a great source of education every day.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
skidmarks

42 to 48 square spindles you dont have to grind for the hose to clear.

Another trick is you endup with a complete 48 to 52 F1 front axle is to use everything from the spindle to the hubs and brakes but you have tp cut off the left side drag link arm and make a new tie rod using the special right tierod end with the hole for the drag link. Speedway sold the tierod end. I did this on a few cars.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Bill do you really think that the later
non adjustable bottom anchor are better than the earlier brakes with the adjustable bottom anchor?? I've always got better working brakes with the early style. They wernt changed because the fixed pivot was better, it was purely a servicing issue with bad or no training and time.
Martin.
The original hydraulic brake conversion on my '36 was with '39-41 brakes. I, and a lot of other people have found that the early brakes are very hard to keep in adjustment.
Proper centering of the shoes on the backing plate/drum requires the removal of the wheel/drum and the use of a special template/appliance. Another way to properly adjust the shoes is to use a drum that has been cut away to allow the use of a feeler gauge. Of course the cut-away drum requires a front and rear drum to be modified.
The '42-48 brakes are self centering, and I believe that Ford classified their brake shoe design and placement to be "self energizing".
Old 08-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If they did they were wrong, that is the whole idea behind switching to the F1/F100 brakes.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #14
scooder

Thanks for answer bill,
Theres no need for special apparatus to get the 39-41 brake shoes adjusted, no where near as easy as adjusting the 42 up admittedly. But adjusted properly the earlier ones are better. You can even fit the bigger cylinders and have at it. More time in servicing but worth it. If you want a rainbow you gotta put up with the rain.
The 42-48 arnt really self centering, they have no ability to self anything. They just have to go where there put. And they certainty don't "self energize" they can't as they are locked in position at the bottom.
The last years of mechanical Ford brakes were self energizing, when Ford went hydraulic he opted to loose that and go with a cheaper design on the Ford. It then reappeared on Ford badged stuff in 48 on the F1.
But it won't surprise me that he claimed that his were "self energizing" he wasn't the most honest car builder was he.
Martin.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
rotorwrench

Henry didn't want to pay for the patent rights for the Bendix type for large scale production. He had been bitten several times on patent rights so he either made his own designs or opted for stuff that the time had run out on. He did pay a fair amount of manufacturer's for patent rights but they were usually friends of his who would license stuff back so it wouldn't cost him as much. Old Henry was tight as a high pitch fiddle string but he would relinquish on high end stuff that wasn't going to break the bank. That's why the Lincoln cars had Bendix brakes. Production figures were a lot lower on them and they were more of a status thing. They were the first FoMoCo vehicles with the good brakes and overdrive transmissions among a lot of other things.

I love those 39 Lincoln brakes but they ain't cheap.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #16
scooder

If I recall correctly, Henry wouldn't pay to use sir Harry Ricardo's combustion chamber design, he said Ricardo should pay him for the privilege of Ford using it!! Had to pay up in the end but it was quite a legal battle to get it out of him.
In my opinion the first good brakes on regular Ford stuff was the late string brakes with the self energizing floating adjuster wedge.
Martin.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #17
Prawbly

JSEERY - - I sent you a PM yesterday in regards to my 36. I hope you don't mind.

Pat
Old 08-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawbly View Post
JSEERY - - I sent you a PM yesterday in regards to my 36. I hope you don't mind.

Pat
I answered it yesterday and sent another PM back to you today, are you not getting them?