Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
Phil Gillespie

Default 1946 Mercury Coupe Souple of queries

So have recently purchased a 46 Mercury Coupe which out our way comes still with the 41/42 dash set up. Engine No: 6D 1569 F and chassis No: 2793.
Not sure what these numbers tell me other than these are original numbers as when car was first registered here in NZ. ie matching Numbers.

Its fitted with a heater, not quite complete, the type which takes air from front of radiator through a fan mounted on firewall then out into cab.
There is a switch on dash, but wonder about other controls for heat to screen etc. Hoses to and fro heater coil i can figure just wonder where to get info on control levers and switch.
To date have not managed to get any info on this heater.

Also fitted with a vaccum tank forward of radiator which is not standard but been informed it could be from a V8 Pilot?

Did these cars come with a 3.54 diff as a past owner told me so. At present the speedo is out. it is fitted 215x70xR15s 26.9" which is almost same as 6.50 x15 x plys at 26.3". Think speedo requires calibrating.
Was fitted with a 19 tooth gear drive and reading approx 20mph low.
Now running a 17 T gear and although not correct now reads approx 95mph which equates closely as per GPS to our local open road speed of 100 km/hr. So until i get it recalibrated will use mph as my km.hr.

Generally its going will, had a couple of hicups with the bypass oil filter.
Maybe not tightening up tight enough after recent oil and filter change, threw oil out the top cover..
Appreciate as always assistance and suggestions.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: 1946 Mercury Coupe Souple of queries

I think the vacuum tanks were accessories in '47 or '48.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
GEOFFNZ

Default Re: 1946 Mercury Coupe Souple of queries

Hi Phil,That sounds an interesting purchase.We had one years ago for quite some time.I always understood they came with a 3.54 diff. Mine certainly did but also owned a high mileage Mercury sedan that had a 3.78 which could have easily have been replaced along the way through wear.Was also told the ratio was optional.Mine had no vacuum wiper resevoir.Ford prefects had that arrangement also.The cross ply tyres used on ours were 6.70 x 15 Cheers, Geoff
GEOFFNZ is offline   Reply With Quote