Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
cardoza

Default Timing gear oiler

I found an accessory for the model A called "timing gear oiler", my A-28 does not have it... so the question is: in the procedure to prepare the engine to operate do I need to hand lubricate this gear?

Any reference to this accessory or procedure for the timing gear lubrication will be very much welcome, below is the link to see this set...thanks in advance

http://users.erols.com/b-dwheeler/indexoiler.html
Old 09-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Timing gear oiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoza View Post
I found an accessory for the model A called "timing gear oiler", my A-28 does not have it... so the question is: in the procedure to prepare the engine to operate do I need to hand lubricate this gear?

Any reference to this accessory or procedure for the timing gear lubrication will be very much welcome, below is the link to see this set...thanks in advance

http://users.erols.com/b-dwheeler/indexoiler.html
The oil already feeds directly from the valve galley to the timing gear. This is not necessary.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
JD Miller

This is just more un-needed plumbing. Might look "cool" but serves no meaningful function. Save your money for something useful.
JD Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

If you have any doubts about the amount of oil flowing onto the timing gear simply remove the side cover and start the engine. You will see a small waterfall of oil going over the front opening and directly onto the timing gear.

I wonder why someone even dreamed up such an unneccessary gadget as this. I guess it's just to lighten your wallet.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
PC/SR

Another way to test for oil to the timing gear is to forget to tighten the timing pin. If you drive awhile and find oil all over the right side of your car you can be pretty certain you do not need that device. I know this to be true.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Actually, they do work somewhat for the purpose intended. Loose (worn) timing gears can indeed make a(nother) noise. The oil that "spills over the dam" hits the backside of the camshaft gear but it does not create a "cushion of oil" between the crank gear and the cam gear like this Rube' Goldberg device does. The ones you really notice it helping on is aluminum timing gears. Do I have one on my own car? NO, ...but I have seen several of them come through my shop over the years. My gut instinct why they sold so many of these is because a similar device was common place on the Model T, used to carry oil to the front of the engine to supply the front main bearing & rods. Folks back then understood these devices greatly extended the life of a Model T engine, and so having one on a Model A engine must be a good thing too.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #7
cardoza

I guess, ain't getting the accessory.. for a moment I did believe that I was ruining my timing gear!!!
Thanks for the input..guys, I certainly appreciate your comments, I learn from them and from the other threads.. I am having fun getting with my car in full working order