Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2021, 10:25 PM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default overdrive transmission level question

Hi Guy's, I just reinstalled my 3sp. o/d trans in my early '51 Merc. I filled the overdrive section of the trans. to the top of the fill plug, then I filled the main section of the trans to the top of the fill plug. I then let the car sit level overnight and rechecked the main section of the trans the next afternoon. It was still at the full level, just coming out of the filler hole. I then started the car and slowly let the car idle in each gear on jack stand for a few minutes to lube all the bearings etc. I have the car still up on stands and will check the fluid level again tomorrow. I know that the oil will travel between the 2 sections of the trans, but my question is how long will it take to "even out" so I do not have to worry about starving the o/d section. how long should I wait to check the main section and be sure that both sections are full before I drive the car. I do not want to pull this trans out again. any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, ---- Jim

Last edited by Alaska Jim; 04-13-2021 at 01:50 AM.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:29 PM   #2
Aarongriffey

Default Re: overdrive transmission level question

You are fine the way it is.
Once it’s filled to the bottom of the fill plugs you’re good to go.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:54 AM   #3
Alaska Jim

Aarongriffey, I kind of thought it would be ok, just wanted a couple of opinions . I had read that it does not take as long as one might think to equalize, but no specific time frame was given, and I was curious. I did follow the procedure outlined in the factory service manual to be sure I was filling it correctly. Thank you for taking the time to respond.--- Jim
Old 04-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
rotorwrench

The ports where oil carries through are small so the heavy viscosity lube takes a bit to equalize. I always recommend filling it the way you did if a person is going to drive the car immediately after filling . If the car is going to set for several hours before driving then only the main gear case needs filling with a check after an hour or so to top it up. If a person fills the main gear case with the recommended amount from the 49/51 O/H manual, generally no top up is necessary but I'd check it anyway. The book calls out 3.5 lbs of mild EP lube for the early type transmission with or without overdrive.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #5
Alaska Jim

Thank you rotorwrench.