Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Bill Dewey

Default Open drive PU trans in 36

I am installing a 1942-52 light three speed open drive shaft truck transmission in my 1936 coupe. The rear mount is 2 inches narrower on the truck trans. What is the best way to covert rear mount?
Bill Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Open drive PU trans in 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dewey View Post
I am installing a 1942-52 light three speed open drive shaft truck transmission in my 1936 coupe. The rear mount is 2 inches narrower on the truck trans. What is the best way to covert rear mount?
The truck rear mount only comes in one basic form (that I know of), so you can't swap in something else. If the truck one is narrower, then why not make an adapter strap that picks up the original frame mounts, goes under the truck mount and then picks up the other side - kind of a "u bend" affair. Maybe something about 1.5" or 2" wide and 1/4" thick. You could use a oxy/acet torch to heat and shape/bend it to fit the location.

You could then use all the rest of the standard mounting hardware that the 36 uses. You might consider welding "nuts" on the bottom of the strap (if there is room) so the bolts that go through the truck mount can easily pickup a good solid threaded nut, just thinking out loud, maybe 7/16 NF.

I've never worked on a 36, so the above is just some "imagineering" - which will only work if you have room to do what I mentioned.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote