Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Benson

Default 78-7006 is this a special transmission case?

Area of question is the extra "notch" at 2 o'clock in the picture.

It does not appear to be a break but looks like deliberate machining operation.

Thanks for help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_IMG_6808.jpg (48.8 KB, 114 views)
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Mike in AZ

Default Re: 78-7006 is this a special transmission case?

wonder if it's modified for an "A" engine??...just my guess....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

Benson & Mike in Az. ........................
I have two NOS 78-7006 transmission cases and they do not have that cut-out. Somebody MUST have done that for a special application.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Mike in AZ

yep, why i was guessing it might be for an "A" engine, versus for the V-8..as the "A" starter is on driver's side...i think........Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Benson

Thanks for responses guys.

Yesterday I looked at 18-7006 cases, 48-7006 cases, and a V8-60 case but this was the only 78-7006 case I found so wondered if it was a special application as the machining is so clean and well done..

It appears that the "notch" will not affect the function of the 78-7006 case.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Fred A

Default Special?

I don't know if Special is a good word for it. Many would call it damaged. Unitil recently I would put a hammer through the side of such cases fearing that slick vendors would sell them to the unknowing rodder as a useable piece. I hate it when swap vendors offer crap that would only be a setback to our friends. Those cases are so common that at $75 or a bit more each, and considering that the contents can add up to ten times that figure, seems like a bad deal to start off with damaged cases. There are other condition issues that may add to the disadvantage of using the case such as the condition of the cluster thrust at the rear interior of the case which commonly is scored to the point of destroying the thrust washer in service. Cracks may also be a negative. One practical use of the old Ford cases is setting up a chassis where the hero trans may be filled with your best gears and thus too heavy to be conveniently handled. Those cases, '32 thru 51 light commercial are sometimes skeletonized by those that use them often, in order to be light and handy with the various(4 types) of rear bearing retainers, so it's not a total loss. Have fun with it. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
jv38

i have the same transmission looks factory made With odd ser.#on case maybe for military use # starts with star 90-4159 * or *9c-4159
jv38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
thunderbirdesq

Default Re: Special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Unitil recently I would put a hammer through the side of such cases fearing that slick vendors would sell them to the unknowing rodder as a useable piece. I hate it when swap vendors offer crap that would only be a setback to our friends.
What's un-useable about it? That notch shouldn't affect the function of the case at all. If it checks out in the thrust surface dept, I'd use it if I needed a case.
thunderbirdesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

Perhaps it is for the 4cyl that was taken from the 9n tractor, that could explain a 9C serial # prefix, the starter is on the drivers side on that engine.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdesq View Post
What's un-useable about it? That notch shouldn't affect the function of the case at all. If it checks out in the thrust surface dept, I'd use it if I needed a case.

10-4 on that. That notch shouldn't effect the overall strength of that case.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Lamar Wadsworth

That makes sense. Ford made some 1/2 ton pickups and panel trucks in '41 and '42 with 9N Ford tractor engines. Rare but probably not as rare as they should be, real dogs. Stump puller rear end ratio, which they needed to get moving, mostly designed for in-town delivery service where you never get up much speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Perhaps it is for the 4cyl that was taken from the 9n tractor, that could explain a 9C serial # prefix, the starter is on the drivers side on that engine.
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

More data to add to the serial and that real low number...I have the N overhaul book here, and starter looks to be placed just right for that notch. The bellhousing flang looks right. There is, however, a bolt hole at top center not present on the trans shown...I wonder if that was a hole used only on tractors, where the engine was structurally stressed as a chassis part?
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
ems customer service

many manufacurers of construction and other speicalized powered equipment used ford engines and transmissions and they often did modifying to accomadate there products. so the notch is not realy unique.
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
DICK SPADARO

This case should be for 41 4 cylinder pickup
Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Fred A

Default Green Book References?

A lot of guesses have com in that don't bring much more than an anecdote. Early on, I dismissed the question as the owners of a spotted cat thinking they have a leopard. However looking at the Green Book combined with limited cases of factory mislabeled parts showing up as serviced replacements finally makes me wonder. The Book lists three transmissions used in the era for the 40hp, one for passenger car (ONA-7005), one for the light commercial(ONC-7005), and one for trucks(ONY-7005), yet the 78-7006 case number is retained. The average conspiracy theorist among you could assume that the number is correct or not depending. I went out and kicked over a couple of 73-7005 transmissions and noticed that the number 3 looked like a repair job and one case showed signs of being modified to fit the commercial 60 while the other seemed high quality and "factory". These 73 cases are lower production and in a comparable niche to the 40hp truck argument in that they are for tiny engines in big vehicles. Then leaping to the incorrect number issue.. In my experience, the Model A front timing covers made for service replacement were also wrongly marked as B-6019 which is for engines with B distributors while the A-6019-B has the timing pin drilled for top dead center for the Model A. Hardly worth a total redesign of the part, just drilled in a different place. It is a stretch, but while the 78-7006 case was made by the millions, the ONA, ONB, ONC series must have been precious few, and perhaps modified from common stocks. Not as likely because of the relatively complex change, but not totally crazy either. I doubt that legions of Ford Barners will dash out and check their 40hp freak, but that would be a way to stack up the evidence of the "special" nature of this curiosity. I don't see any case for the 9N listed but at least the 9n has some serious production numbers to command more respect. This thread should be pretty dead by now. A perfect time for me to follow up on it. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
Cecil/WV

I have a known '41 4 cyl case in my garage and if I can dig it out, I might take a pic and post.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
lucky

I think I have seen that done when using an 85 tranny with the 60 hp motor.

marvin
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
Benson

Thanks to all that responded!

Great information.

The thrusts are ungrooved/unworn and bearing bores are both tighter than some 18 and 48 cases I found.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
CWPASADENA

Richard at the Early V-8 Garage showed me a transmission with this case last week. He said it came out of a 4 Cyl Tractor. It had a very strange gear set in it. Low and reverse was straight cut while the rest of the gears were helical. The main shaft had straight splines to go with the straight cut low and reverse slider. It used the late type syncro with individual blocker rings and second gear appeared to be the same as a 39-48. It appeared to have a VERY LOW First Gear, I believe the input gear was 14 Teeth which would make the cluster have 30 teeth on the mating gear. This would all make sense beings it was used in a tractor.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #20
Richard (EV8G)

What I said, per the previous posts, is that it is a transmission that was originally attached to a 4cyl tractor motor as used in some 40-41? pickups.
There are numbers stamped in the usual location on the case, but I have not cleaned it off so I can read them... (I once bought a 39 Panel that had a transmission with similar gears, but not sure it was THE original transmisson,
but I am sure it was originally a V8.) The gears in the latest "find" are as CW stated, 14-30. The top is an 81A double detent with a 3" 91A 2nd-high fork.
The gears appear to be in nice condition, but I don't know what I would use them in???