Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
david.boettcher

Default restoration shop in Connecticut

I have a 32 vicky v8 in half restored condition that has sat for the last 10 years and needs some love! Anyone have suggestions for a restoration shop in or close to Connecticut that they would recommend?

Thanks in advance
-David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2745.jpg (200.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2743.jpg (83.6 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by david.boettcher; 01-10-2018 at 08:35 PM.
david.boettcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
uncle buck

Default Re: restoration shop in Connecticut

I am no help in a shop as I'm on the opposite coast, but I assume you got it home from Florida? You had previously asked for shipping advice so I was curious how the move went? Maybe an update on that thread if you feel you can offer help for future barners
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
corvette8n

Off hand I don't know of any shops, but I wonder what your plan is? Are you looking to do a 100 point restoration or a daily driver?, are you planning to do any work yourself? (It's a great way to get to know your car), and lastly you need to have a dollar budget, as mission creep can take over. Looks like you have a worthy project there, keep the barn informed.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Am not familiar with any in your part of the state but a phone book search should give you some options.
Other than Wayne Carini's shop in Portland this is the only other one who's work I have seen. (Twin Brooks restoration in Suffield)--------------

https://www.facebook.com/Twin-Brooks...3073783717485/
Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
adileo

There a good one in NJ, if your willing to trailer and not in rush, they are busy shop.

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
51504bat

I would call Joe at Joe's Antique Auto. He's in Uxbridge, MA
He is a knowledgeable guy and very helpful.

267 Hartford Ave W, Uxbridge, MA 01569
508-278-3980

Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
DavidG

David,

There's lots of well-intended advice on this page and on your thread regarding moving the car from Florida. I may have overlooked it, but no one has challenged the underlying assumption that any and all restoration shops, not matter the quality of their workmanship, will have the required experience and knowledge to restore your Victoria to the state that you desire and will have the contacts to acquire those components that the car may be missing or require replacement at something less than top dollar.

The first and least expensive step in a car's restoration is the education of its owner who, like it or not, should assume the role of project manager in order to keep expenses down within reason. Long is the list of high-dollar restorations that prove to be wanting as result of ignorance, even when the owner has paid for the shop to educate itself in addition to any actual physical work done on the car.

With the experience of twelve complete restorations of '32s and other pre-WWII Fords, none of which has been anywhere near a 'restoration shop', my advice is for you to do as Charlie has suggested and start with the Early Ford V8 Club's book, The 1932 Ford Book, A Production Chronicle and Restoration Guide, as well as a reprint copies of the '28-'32 chassis parts catalogue, '32 body parts catalogue, and 1932 Service Bulletins. The latter three items may be out of print, but they show up regularly on this site, eBay, and Amazon. In total, all four items can be had for less than $150. Read through those and then examine your car from stem to stern and develop a 'wanted' list of parts that are missing or need replacing consistent with your objective for how the end result should be configured. You'll no doubt have lots of questions along the way, but there are many here and on the Club's website who are willing and qualified to give you good answers.

From what I can see in your photos, you have a remarkably good starting point for a restoration, no matter what direction you wish to go. (Reading between the lines, I sense that your objective is an as-built restoration, but I could easily be mistaken. I recommend that you not make a final decision until you are better versed on what you have and what the various stages of the process are likely to cost.)

If you are willing, you could consider approaching the restoration in stages. Disassembly is easy as long as you take photos and make lists along the way, so why pay someone $80-$120 an hour to do it and deprive you of its educational benefits?

The largest cost element of a restoration is the body and paint work, but you do not necessarily need to have a full-service restoration shop do that for you. I am reasonably certain that there are highly qualified and experienced body men and automotive painters within a reasonable distance from your home. Likely there are paint and rust strippers not that far away if your chosen body man does not provide that service. Powder coating of many chassis components is a viable and usually less expensive alternative if the components are in good condition.

You can farm out the required nickel and chrome plating (there's not a lot of it on a '32, thank goodness) yourself and avoid the markup on such expenses restoration shops likely add. The same goes for upholstery work. You're not that far away from one of the best sources in the business, namely LeBaron Bonney in Amesbury, MA.

There's a lot of satisfaction to be gained if you're in the driver's seat directing the various elements of a restoration and not delegating the responsibility to a full-service shop. Yes, there are numerous restored '32s out there that have required six-figure's worth of restoration shop effort. There are also some that have only cost something in the lower reaches of five figures that are at least as good, if not better.

As has been said, it's your car and you get to call the shots, but the above is respectfully intended as food for thought.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

David my response didn't seem to post.

I would definitely get ahold of Joe's in Massachusetts. Great guy he has done right by me.

Great looking '32 keep us posted as you progress. Love the car
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
david.boettcher

All valid comments guys, thanks for your input. Fortunately I have everything for the vehicle including a complete new interior from LeBaron. At this point all that needs to be done is body needs faring and paint and fenders need a repaint (they were finished and in show condition ten years ago). The running chassis was also complete and motor running ten years ago. Unfortunately it has sat with no attention since then so I imagine a refresh of the motor is in order. Im considering changing the color of the rims and obviously the brand new 10 year old tires will be getting replaced. From there, all the glass and interior are anxiously awaiting installation. I enjoy the idea of finishing it myself but the reality of my schedule at this point in my life doesnt allow any free time for such hobbies, hence the consideration of finding a good shop locally to finish putting this old gal back together. Ill keep everyone posted as the project moves along

thanks
david

ps- Uncle Buck- if you happen to catch my other post regarding the move, I did put up a review of Bill Squires who is a super guy and was very helpful with the move!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
jv38

You could call Ray at Enfield restoration
jv38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
rumbling seats

You could try Pat’s Restoation Service 203-556-4119 he is near Bridgeport
rumbling seats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Dragone's in Bridgeport, there's one along the shore run by my shop teacher's son (Vintage something I think) I think in Westbrook. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
PeterC

Ron Liska - he is a member of the Connecticut Regional V8 Ford Club - just won the Zenith award for perfect restoration on his 1934.

Last edited by PeterC; 01-11-2018 at 04:54 PM.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
Joe31

Jim Lowery Restoration, he specializes in V8 fords.
Joe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:55 AM   #15
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.boettcher View Post

ps- Uncle Buck- if you happen to catch my other post regarding the move, I did put up a review of Bill Squires who is a super guy and was very helpful with the move!
David, I did see that and appreciate the update. It's always nice to see the positive experiences that have happened in our hobby. All too often we only hear the negative in todays world. Also I have read a lot of great advice here. Might I add, you should consider checking out your local early V-8 regional club or look into local cruises or shows in your area. Even if you have no time or desire to become a club member you will find many people willing to help. You also should be able to see results of some shops work and question actual experiences with shops in your area. Don't just take one persons testimonial if possible.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
tubman

I see someone mentioned Wayne Carini. Given his situation, I'm curious about what he would charge for something like this. I would think I would take the news better sitting down.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
david.boettcher

Thank you for all the suggestions guys. I spoke with Ron Liska last night and we've loosely made plans to get together in the spring for him to take a look at the car. He sounds like a very knowledgeable guy and as stated further up in the post, he has a stellar 34 cabriolet which is apparently really making a mark on the show circuit.

In the mean time, here are some more pics I snapped last night of the car and some of the interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2789.jpg (40.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2791.jpg (47.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2793.jpg (35.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2802.jpg (41.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2804.jpg (44.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2805.jpg (29.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2807.jpg (58.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
rockfla

Given the first picture of the engine, looks like you can start looking for a cross over pipe!!! Good luck, I had to make ours!!! It is a VERY tight bend and I don't think mine is as tight of a bend as the original. Wrong fuel pump too, yours is like the one on our engine at the time this photo was taken, I have since found a correct pump. That is IF you are striving for "Correctness"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32-31.jpg (60.1 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 01-12-2018 at 01:05 PM.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #19
Ronnieroadster

David sent you PM
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
david.boettcher

Hi guys- long time no talk. Have not done much with the car since it arrived in Connecticut though I am planning to talk to a few local restoration shops up here now that the weather has finally warmed up. On a different topic, I'm curious if any of you would have advice on how to appraise the car as-is, as an option for selling it? I've been digging around the web and as I understand it, an all steel original 32 with original v8 is a pretty rare car. How would I go about pricing it in its current state? Thanks!-Dave