Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
stewwolfe

Default Exhaust Whistle

Has anybody tried the new exhaust whistle Bratton's is selling. I've always been a bit reluctant to put one in the engine compartment (why invite exhaust leaks) but this one goes on the end of the tailpipe.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Exhaust Whistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
Has anybody tried the new exhaust whistle Bratton's is selling. I've always been a bit reluctant to put one in the engine compartment (why invite exhaust leaks) but this one goes on the end of the tailpipe.
Sarah came with one. Gave it away, didn't need it to get ladies, I've got the physic, looks, tan and money, I don't need no stickin whistle!!!!

but, that one had no exhaust leak issues...it worked quite well.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers

Last edited by 31 Model A; 02-20-2017 at 07:30 PM.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
DougVieyra

One of my four tickets that I received while driving my Model A's over the last 50 years, was for blowing my 'Train Whistle'.

While driving through Hayward, California.

At 3 am.

The faster you go the louder it 'whistles'.

It was an original Aermore, four tube. It now sits on a shelf in my basement.

Exhaust leaking was a constant problem with them (they mounted between the manifold and the attached exhaust pipe), so I was excited to see the one that Bratton's sell, which mounts at the rear of the tail-pipe - no leak issues.

So it will be with interest that I will be reading the up-coming responses to your query.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
stewwolfe

Talking Re: Exhaust Whistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
One of my four tickets that I received while driving my Model A's over the last 50 years, was for blowing my 'Train Whistle'.

While driving through Hayward, California.

At 3 am.

The faster you go the louder it 'whistles'.

It was an original Aermore, four tube. It now sits on a shelf in my basement.

Exhaust leaking was a constant problem with them (they mounted between the manifold and the attached exhaust pipe), so I was excited to see the one that Bratton's sell, which mounts at the rear of the tail-pipe - no leak issues.

So it will be with interest that I will be reading the up-coming responses to your query.
It sounds like something I would have done in my younger years. I think it might be fun during parades.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
Tom F OHIO

I have one on the end of my exhaust pipe. Not Brattons but one a friend made for me. Had it on the exhaust manifold first but could never stop it from leaking. Me and about 4 other members blow the train whistle on our monthly trips and have never gotten in trouble. We just don't do it around railroad tracks.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom F OHIO View Post
I have one on the end of my exhaust pipe. Not Brattons but one a friend made for me. Had it on the exhaust manifold first but could never stop it from leaking. Me and about 4 other members blow the train whistle on our monthly trips and have never gotten in trouble. We just don't do it around railroad tracks.
While touring in Delaware with our 1914 Stanley Steamer roadster, four modern were cars following behind us. We blew our steam whistle at a remote RR track crossing which was blinded by trees. After the crossing, we climbed on up a long hill and as we looked down below us, the cars that were following us were still stopped at the RR crossing waiting for the train to show up. They didn't know that the train whistle had come from our Stanley. Hopefully they didn't wait for the phantom train too much longer. That's the last time that we did that. When we see trains, we occasionally exchange our steamer whistle toots with their engineers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914 Stanley 606 in 2014.jpg (74.5 KB, 31 views)
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Dick Carne

I am somewhat suspect of an exhaust whistle mounted after the force operating it has gone through the muffler. We had one on one of our cars back in the late '60's that required cutting the muffler just before the exhaust would enter the muffler - the weld eventually broke - I presume from the additional strain placed on the joint since it was somewhat in the radius of the curve;,we later put on another one that mounted between the manifold and the muffler, just under the carburetor - this one was prone to stick - usually in the open position. We also put a smaller one (two whistle outlets that I think we may have gotten from J.C. Whitney back in the day) on the end of the tailpipe, but by then, the exhaust had been severely tamed so it never produced much of a sound. Perhaps they have figured out how to overcome this (these) problem(s)???
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
willobs

I bought one of these from Smith and Jones works great sounds like the original
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote