Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
willobs

Default 7 Tooth Steering

Have 29 Sedan nice car not happy with 7 tooth sector, What would be best A: Rebuild with Repo parts B: Find used Box. C: convert to 2 Tooth. D: E Z Steer Thanks
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 7 Tooth Steering

What are your capabilities? My experiences are that these repro parts actually work well if you know how to fit them, and use a pin-fitting hone to size the sector bushings. If you convert to a 2-tooth, you gain a little more leverage through the ratio change but it is kinda negligible IMHO.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
asapguy

I just went through this same thing. I had 6-7 inches of play in my early 29 Briggs 60B fordor. I was lucky to have ten 7 tooth units to choose from. I found a nice one with less then an inch of play that wasn't cracked (most 7 tooth housings are cracked where the control rods come out). I dissassembled,cleaned, painted & instaled a new upper bushing. Reassembled it & am very happy with the results. Your best bet is to locate a two tooth with an open quadrent that was used in the 29's. I have one of those in my 29 rdstr. They can be hard to locate but are out there. Have a great week.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
29FordGuy

I have the same problem with my steering. It is a bit nerving when I drive through town with cars parked along the road. I probably have a 7-inch play. I have gone through all the steering linkage to make sure all was properly tight and have now come down tot he steering box. Plan on tearing it apart this spring and rebuilding it with new repro worm gear etc. Hope it takes care of the problem!
29FordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Peter J

Depending on where your going with your resto. I converted my 29 to a 2 tooth for simplicity and more adjustments if needed. Happy I did.
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Herb Concord Ca

I agree with Peter J, I converted my 7 tooth in my 29 special cpoue to 2 tooth. Best thing I did to that car other than the overdrive.
Regards,
herb
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
wrndln

Has anyone installed the bottom screw in plug with the tube attached on a 7 sector steering column? The tube is supposed to prevent oil from leaking into the switch and wiring loom. I bought the plug/tube, but the hole in the steering shaft is too small. I think the tube is about 6" or 7" long. Can you just take an extra long drill bit and drill the hole bigger to fit the tube or would this idea just screw up a good steering shaft?
Thanks for any help
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Brian-NJ

I just ordered the screw in seal / plug with the tube. It says its a 7/16" OD. I plan on using a drill bit in the shaft to make it work. I'll let you know how I make out.
Brian-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
wrndln

Thanks, Brian.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Has anyone installed the bottom screw in plug with the tube attached on a 7 sector steering column? The tube is supposed to prevent oil from leaking into the switch and wiring loom. I bought the plug/tube, but the hole in the steering shaft is too small. I think the tube is about 6" or 7" long. Can you just take an extra long drill bit and drill the hole bigger to fit the tube or would this idea just screw up a good steering shaft?
Thanks for any help
Rusty Nelson
I think I read it in the Brattons catalog that some shafts would need to be drilled. Sure enough, I did have to drill out the shaft on my '29. Was not a problem. The drill does tend to screw in and grab. Not a problem if your aware of it ahead of time.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote