Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #1
V8COOPMAN

Default '37 Headlight Reflector SOCKETS

Hey Folks .....We're finishing-up rewiring the entire '37 coupe that I just sold to a friend in Ohio. This car is super original, and stock as it can be except for the 15" old Ford wheels we just re-fitted it with. We've replaced every wiring harness in the car, and looking into the headlights, the passenger side has NO bulb sockets in the reflector. We looked at the DRIVER side reflector and it has the small PARK light socket, and the MAIN bulb socket seen below.

I'm assuming that this is a STOCK '37 Ford socket. It sure is a quality looking socket. I have read many reports stating what a piece of garbage the repro sockets are. So, I reached-out to a dear friend/serious old car guy with a crazy stash of parts. Since he does NOT fool with '37 stuff, I asked if he might have a nice, STOCK main socket for a '39? He said that he knew how crappy the repro sockets were, and saved nice used ones when he ran across them.

Good, dependable friends are hard to come by these days, but my guy dropped a really NICE looking big socket and a park-light socket into a box on Friday, and they showed-up today. The sockets he sent look great. Even though it has three springy loops built-into it somewhat SIMILAR to the repros I've seen, this socket is a quality affair that should serve just fine, and he saved my butt BIG TIME! It looks VERY SIMILAR to this one below.

I'm just wondering if Ford made a second socket like this last one above, possibly for '39? Does anyone that knows these headlamps know for sure what these two different sockets really are? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:40 AM   #2
Brian

Default Re: '37 Headlight Reflector SOCKETS

Coop, I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're asking...the pictured sockets in the last photo are what early V8's used in the headlight assemblies.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:07 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Coop, I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're asking...the pictured sockets in the last photo are what early V8's used in the headlight assemblies.

Hey Brian ....I'm learning something new, here. And let's talk ONLY about the BIG socket. As we looked into the left headlight on this '37, it had a large socket like shown in the first picture. Below is a more-detailed picture of one just like it. This is a NICE socket.

As I said above, I'm learning on this one, as this is the first '37 or '39 with these reflector styles that I have ever dug into. So Brian....are you saying that the round socket with the tiny coil springs (ABOVE) is NOT an original-type Ford part? I appreciate you chiming-in on this. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-02-2021, 01:42 AM   #4
Brian

Well coop, what do I know? [heard that before lol], but I've never seen the above style, so it could be repop, OR motorcycle...the wiring for a start does not resemble original Ford stuff....thing is, if it works, why not use it? Seems like a decent replacement.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:49 AM   #5
Lawson Cox

V8Coopman: The headlight socket pictured immediately above, that is sort of shiny and all, is not a genuine Ford part for 36-39 fords. The one in the first photo you posted, with the three "spindly" looking springs is correct, as Brian points out. I have restored a 36 Club Cab and a 39 Mercury, and the one Brian points out were in the headlights of both. Hope this helps. My 2¢ Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:26 AM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Well coop, what do I know? [heard that before lol], but I've never seen the above style, so it could be repop, OR motorcycle...the wiring for a start does not resemble original Ford stuff....thing is, if it works, why not use it? Seems like a decent replacement.
Brian .....I've gotta agree with ya about the black wires, but the real one that came in the driver-side reflector of this '37 does have wiring resembling Ford stuff, BELOW.

But, coming from you, as well as Lawson's comments below, I think it would be reasonable to assume that this is NOT a Ford socket. I can't thank you enough for your thoughts! And a big thanks to you as well, Lawson. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-02-2021, 07:20 AM   #7
Terry,OH

The original headlight sockets were used from 35 through 39 and are the same. The originals come on a short wire harness and that harness connected to the headlight harness outside the headlight shells with bullet connectors, so there are no terminal blocks. It appears the parking light socket was changed in 37 for a smaller bulb and that socket was used at least until the war for the parking light so 37-41 would have the same parking light socket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03088.jpg (32.8 KB, 166 views)
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
The original headlight sockets were used from 35 through 39 and are the same. The originals come on a short wire harness and that harness connected to the headlight harness outside the headlight shells with bullet connectors, so there are no terminal blocks. It appears the parking light socket was changed in 37 for a smaller bulb and that socket was used at least until the war for the parking light so 37-41 would have the same parking light socket.

Wow, Terry ....I am convinced! That is EXACTLY what my dear friend sent to me! Really appreciate your reply, AND the picture. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE